WnSoft Forums

DVD issues

Barry Beckham

Can anyone help with this please. A lady contacted me who has made a slide show and made a successful DVD as a dummy run half way through the creation process. Now the show is complete, she cannot get past the next button on the Menu builder page. The little circle goes round and round and takes her nowhere, so she can't even get to the page to create the DVD title page.

She is using PTE8 deluxe and has done a clean re-install, but still cannot get past that first DVD page. The next button just does nothing and I have not heard of this before and its ground her to a stop.

Suggestions and ideas welcome please

Barry,

I have two simple test suggestions she should try ... as  diagnosing DVD/Hardware issues can be kinda different for each user.

Test 1

Try using Video Builder without a DVD Disc inserted in the DVD tray. Verify if the buttons proceed to the next page(s) and the final compilation page. Select the Create an ISO file checkbox and deselect all other checkboxes.  Create the ISO and verify its completion. ( Remember this  is  just a file produced and requires no DVD disc inserted)

* If the pages progress to the final page without out the busy" little circle "... it first suggests to me  the DVD Disc has not been recognized or  initialized in the DVD Burner hardware. This could be a DVD Disc that is not compatible to be initially read because of some formating issue of the disc itself .. so it stays busy trying to load the DVD Disc.

Test 2

First try opening the project file in PTE program and then do a FILE|SAVE AS function. Use that new Save AS file as the project file to open in Video Builder and proceed to produce a DVD Disc.

* There have been some issues whereas the project file was made in a previous version PTE and then used in a newer version of PTE/ Video Builder in which issues  arose in its final completion. However ... no one ever mentioned the busy" little circle" and  that may be  unrelated in this case

If it works when the slideshow is smaller but it doesn't work when the slideshow is larger (assuming that it's smaller than 4.7 GB when converted to mpeg 2)  that seems to indicate lack of disk space either in the temp path or the final output path.

Tom

The show is under 2 gig, although it is a large show, but that should still allow her to get past the first video builder window.  I have passed on Nobeefstu's ideas above and will wait and see what reply I get back.

This issue does come up quite a bit where someone inexperienced with the software and the whole process of handling or understanding image size, aspect ratio and resolution. Starts off by creating a huge show with hundreds of images with the obvious results. Every possible suggestion you may be able to make is alien to them and the user struggles to understand how they may reduce the size of the images. They now have so many images invested in their show, that reducing the size is a daunting task.

What ever happened to starting off with a measured project to test the water :D