WnSoft Forums

Basic Template Masking With PTE 9

Another way which works for me for the centre image is

1)     Blank image.

2)     In O & A add image (any), adjust to size and apply border in properties with Framing checked

3)     Add Mask Template to image and in pop up window shape to rectangle with square corners.

4)     Click Mask (Rectangle) and re-size to fit inside of Border of image

5)     Add image you want to Mask Content

6)     You can do whatever you want to this image and it stays within the Border.

No doubt you will advise on any unseen complications

58f8b901059d2_OandA.thumb.JPG.e1d4d284601a5b5f69b1a5c4d288c350.JPG

Lin and Mick, Thanks much for your demos. I can't disagree with you that Masks are great and can do much. But, as I have mentioned before, it adds just too many steps to only rotate an image. My desire to rotate an image is to be able to make slight adjustments such as leveling the horizon. I tend to have a problem keeping the camera level. I just want to be able to quickly tweak many images I use for a show to rotate them to level the horizon. Currently, I find it easier to fix the leveling problem while optimizing the image in Photoshop then going through the steps for Masking each image. To have the features of Rotate's C, Y and X in Framing would be a super improvement and simplification.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Masks allow constraining the area in which an object is viewed but also much, much more than this. Within that area objects can be manipulated with pan, zoom, rotate, transform, opacity, color, negative, saturation, levels, etc., etc., just as they can be as full screen filling objects. The ability to reveal and conceal with masking is virtually unlimited and by creating custom masks in your favorite photo editor and applying them in PTE literally thousands of special effects can easily be accomplished. Of course it's always best to correct horizons, etc., on the master image. Masking is not a substitute for proper photographic processing, and it's certainly not designed to correct the perspective or tilted horizons of your images even though it can be used in conjunction with other PTE features to do some of these things.

PTE is a master tool box which can be used in many ways. A competent carpenter doesn't build a house with only a framing hammer and a saw even though it might be possible to do so. The carpenter uses the framing hammer to pound large nails, the tack hammer to place tacks and finishing nails, the chisel, sander, square, level, drill, bits of multiple sizes and types, paint brush, trowel, putty knife and whatever other specialized tools which might be in his extensive tool box. PTE is the tool box and a wise user who wants to create a beautiful product will learn to use the tools it offers. Masking is a powerful tool which is not difficult to use. I got out my stopwatch to see just how long it actually takes to create the little demonstration slide I used in the video tutorial, seriously. It took precisely 2 minutes and 40 seconds then if a style were desired to instantly apply to any number of images, another 20 seconds. 

Best regards,

Lin

Here is my latest 16:9 border style which allows complete control. There is a master frame to allow the type of control shown in the video tutorial and also a sub frame to control the inner image and inner border. The color of the borders is easily adjustable as well.

Lin

Lin's Border Style For 16_9 Aspect Size.ptestyle

6 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

Masks allow constraining the area in which an object is viewed but also much, much more than this. Within that area objects can be manipulated with pan, zoom, rotate, transform, opacity, color, negative, saturation, levels, etc., etc., just as they can be as full screen filling objects. The ability to reveal and conceal with masking is virtually unlimited and by creating custom masks in your favorite photo editor and applying them in PTE literally thousands of special effects can easily be accomplished. Of course it's always best to correct horizons, etc., on the master image. Masking is not a substitute for proper photographic processing, and it's certainly not designed to correct the perspective or tilted horizons of your images even though it can be used in conjunction with other PTE features to do some of these things.

PTE is a master tool box which can be used in many ways. A competent carpenter doesn't build a house with only a framing hammer and a saw even though it might be possible to do so. The carpenter uses the framing hammer to pound large nails, the tack hammer to place tacks and finishing nails, the chisel, sander, square, level, drill, bits of multiple sizes and types, paint brush, trowel, putty knife and whatever other specialized tools which might be in his extensive tool box. PTE is the tool box and a wise user who wants to create a beautiful product will learn to use the tools it offers. Masking is a powerful tool which is not difficult to use. I got out my stopwatch to see just how long it actually takes to create the little demonstration slide I used in the video tutorial, seriously. It took precisely 2 minutes and 40 seconds then if a style were desired to instantly apply to any number of images, another 20 seconds. 

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I agree with you 100%. But maybe we don't want to build a mansion. Maybe just a real nice shed...a nice on, but just a shed. :D

When I look at the inputs for your Border Style, I get a little nervous. Way too many inputs for me to get the results I'd want. I created a Style that does pretty much the same as yours, but with just 3 inputs, no Masks. (Mine looks a bit different because I like the background image to be at 95%). I have attached a portion of your inputs (10 lines) and a similar portion of my inputs (3 lines). I think mine if fully adjustable and more intuitive to make adjustments (for non-Mask people). I don't find any fault with anyone using Masks, but if there is a more simple way of achieving the same result, I'm for that. Certainly, you must use Masks for many creative things. So I am not trying to start a conflict of Masks vs. non-Masks.;)

If Igor can get all the Rotate functions in Framing, that would really be a winner.

Gary

Lin's Border Style For 16_9 Aspect Size-style.jpg

GOddi-Border with Blurred Inner Bkdg-Horizontal.jpg

GOddi-Border w_Blurred Inner Bkdg-Vertical.ptestyle

GOddi-Border w_Blurred Inner Bkdg-Horizontal.ptestyle

Hi Gary,

You said you wanted to be able to rotate the image within the small frame. How do you accomplish this with your style? It appears to rotate the frame and the image within?  How do you adjust both windows and frames simultaneously? 

That's the reason for the mask as well as for the two control frames. I'm not certain what's going on with your problems, perhaps when Igor get's back he can help. I don't have any errors at all on my own system with the style. The style I created is not for video but for still images. It uses the same image for the blurred background as for the inside image. Making one for a video would require two different objects (the still image for the background and a video for the inner frame). Now if you're trying to add a video rather than a still image to either your style or mine, that's not going to work. You must create the style for adding a video. You can't just add a video to a style designed for a still image, the style itself must be constructed for a video.

Best regards,

Lin

1 hour ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

You said you wanted to be able to rotate the image within the small frame. How do you accomplish this with your style? It appears to rotate the frame and the image within?  How do you adjust both windows and frames simultaneously? 

That's the reason for the mask as well as for the two control frames. I'm not certain what's going on with your problems, perhaps when Igor get's back he can help. I don't have any errors at all on my own system with the style. The style I created is not for video but for still images. It uses the same image for the blurred background as for the inside image. Making one for a video would require two different objects (the still image for the background and a video for the inner frame). Now if you're trying to add a video rather than a still image to either your style or mine, that's not going to work. You must create the style for adding a video. You can't just add a video to a style designed for a still image, the style itself must be constructed for a video.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, I think I see something that  is creating the problem with your Style (and maybe my Style). I have all the main images set to 95%. When I change an image back to 100%, I don't get the error messages. No, I can't rotate the image with my Style, yet. That is why I am hoping Igor will address that issue. But my point is that my simple Style can do everything, except rotate, with just three inputs. Everything else is totally adjustable. If Igor can put the Rotate function to work in Framing, it will allow for easier creativity.

OH...I just fiddled with my Style a bit more. I found how to insert a video into my Style. First, I can apply my Style (image with a blurred background) to any image. Then I just change the file shown in O&A's 'Picture' to my video clip. Then all three images get changed and the blurred background is a blurred video and plays well. I just have to set the new duration corresponding to the length of the video. Pretty cool....

But it was very strange that your Style, when I applied it to an main image at 95%, it would clear out the File List...very strange.

Gary

How do you control both the small rectangular file and the background image size and position simultaneously? That the purpose of the Master Control Frame in my style. The second control frame lets you control the size and position of the inner image and border simultaneously independent of the background. Then you can also rotate the image within the smaller frame without changing the rotation of the border. How do you do that with the three element style? I thought that's what you wanted to do in the first place?

Best regards,

Lin

1 hour ago, Lin Evans said:

How do you control both the small rectangular file and the background image size and position simultaneously? That the purpose of the Master Control Frame in my style. The second control frame lets you control the size and position of the inner image and border simultaneously independent of the background. Then you can also rotate the image within the smaller frame without changing the rotation of the border. How do you do that with the three element style? I thought that's what you wanted to do in the first place?

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, I'm not sure what you are wondering about. With my Style, all I want to do is to be able to animate the front main image with pan and zoom, at this point. It is fully adjustable. I can do that in my Style. The background image is just a static blurred image. I will just have to wait for Igor to allow the front main image to have rotation within the Frame. Yes, you can do the Rotate with Masks. I'd rather not fool with Masks at this point. Never say never so I will work on dealing with Masks as time goes on.

Gary

Gary, there were two images embedded unintentionally in my two border styles. You may want to try and download the corrected styles from the same link and see if you still get the errors...

Best regards,

Lin

15 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Gary, there were two images embedded unintentionally in my two border styles. You may want to try and download the corrected styles from the same link and see if you still get the errors... s.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, I have tried your two revised Styles but I still get those error messages and the disappearing files in the File List. I also tried two other Styles (attached) and they produced the same problems. Seems to be pointing to Styles with borders, but not positive? I hope Igor can sort out what is happening from looking at the error messages.

But, then I tried the two attached Styles again, and I did not get the error message, but I do with your two revised Styles. I have no idea what is going on.

Gary

Window with Border in Mask-2.ptestyle

Border Mask.ptestyle