WnSoft Forums

Audio track starts at odd points in project when using pause

Jozem

I have recorded my voice narration separately and added it as an audio track mp3, however,  when I am in either timeline or slide mode I cannot just start the project in the middle of a slide to make adjustments to timing of the track , as it will play while a video is playing , even though on the slide I have selected,  the audio track  that is now playing, is supposed to have stopped quite a few slides ago. I have tried locking the track but it is not working to resolve this issue. I must always start at very beginning of project.... play until I get to the slide I am adjusting timing on. I am concerned that once I publish the project the issue will still be there. I have tried adding it through add audio but same issue, have dragged the track onto the  timeline separately but still same issue. The track is 5.56 min long and it is to be playing over 17 slides. I have highlighted the slides it will play over to hopefully lock it to just those slides but the entire project re-adjusts the timing on every slide to fit to that specific track. I am at a loss....any suggestions will be very welcome.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

In Project options /Advanced Tab make sure that Syncronize soundtrack & Slides is ticked.

To Link A sound clip to a particular Slide go into Timeline view, Click on a Slide then Right Click on the sound file & choose Link to slide n where n is the Slide number you clicked on. This will ensure that the sound stays in postion even if you move the slide.

If the S;ides are adjusting to the length of the sound track then you may have somehow set - fit all slides to sound

In the timeline view there are 3 horizontal bars. If you click this a drop down menu will appear - the first is fit all slides to sound track - make sure this is NOT ticked.

Hope this helps

Jill

48 minutes ago, jkb said:

Hi Jenny,

In Project options /Advanced Tab make sure that Syncronize soundtrack & Slides is ticked.

To Link A sound clip to a particular Slide go into Timeline view, Click on a Slide then Right Click on the sound file & choose Link to slide n where n is the Slide number you clicked on. This will ensure that the sound stays in postion even if you move the slide.

If the S;ides are adjusting to the length of the sound track then you may have somehow set - fit all slides to sound

In the timeline view there are 3 horizontal bars. If you click this a drop down menu will appear - the first is fit all slides to sound track - make sure this is NOT ticked.

Hope this helps

Jill

Hello Jill:

Thank you for your reply

Yes I had forgotten to mention that this was already selected and yes in the dropdown menu I had tried selecting it to fit to the selected 17 slides that I want the audio to play over in the show, but it defaults to all slides so unchecked that. I am using the previous version 8 if that helps. I have even tried removing it saving the project then reopening and adding again but still the same issue. No matter where it is on the track I pause it when I hit play again it then will begin at a few seconds behind where I paused. Or if I decided to go to any slide after slide 17 where the audio is to end the audio track of my narration begins to play as if I have begun at slide 1 again. I am perplexed to say the least.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Perhaps there are things which you have not yet learned about the sound tracks. First, if you stop an audio and want it to resume, for example, after a video has played, you need to "start" (set the start time) the video at the precise time you stopped it but you also need to set the "offset" time to the end of the video time. By using a combination of start time (where, in terms of time, into the audio track you hear sound) and ofset (what actual time along the timeline where you wish this start time to begin) you can accurately adjust the sound track.

If you could zip up your project (use "File" "create backup in zip") upload it to a file sharing site and provide a link, I will be glad to help you get it the way you want it to be.  

Best regards,

Lin

Lin:

you are an amazingly generous and kind person.

I will do that immediately. Thank you

I have an account with Vimeo so will see about uploading it there.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

There is no way to download a zipped file from Vimeo - I would suggest using something like this: https://www.mediafire.com/  Remember use "File" "Create backup in zip" - doing this will place all necessary files in the zipped archive so we can see where the problem is...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Re Vimeo there is a program that you can download video from  Vimeo it is called YouTube Downloader or you can search for it by typing YTD . There is a free version which down loads one item at a time also there is a paid version which cost just over £10 it lasts for a year before having to renew and you can down load three items at a time ,

Michael

Hi Michael,

It's not about downloading a video - I already can do that from Vimeo or anywhere else for that matter. It's about downloading or uploading a PTE zipped archive. Vimeo like YouTube or other media site isn't designed as an upload download files site AFAIK... 

Best regards,

Lin

1 hour ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Michael,

It's not about downloading a video - I already can do that from Vimeo or anywhere else for that matter. It's about downloading or uploading a PTE zipped archive. Vimeo like YouTube or other media site isn't designed as an upload download files site AFAIK... 

Best regards,

Lin

Lin:

i will use your advice Lin and you should see it soon as vimeo will not allow me to upload the zip file.

Regards,

Jenny

4 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Jenny,

There is no way to download a zipped file from Vimeo - I would suggest using something like this: https://www.mediafire.com/  Remember use "File" "Create backup in zip" - doing this will place all necessary files in the zipped archive so we can see where the problem is...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Here is the link you can download the zip file from.  http://www.mediafire.com/?k80z6n9ejj46n89gwz6kpydxprr1yip

I truly appreciate the assistance and any tips from you.I have hit a wall currently and yes am a brand new user of this program, just purchased it in February this year

for my new business.Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I have downloaded and played your show. I believe the problems you are having are because you are approaching the limits of size for an executable show running under a 32 bit program and operating system. This puts a pretty big load on the operating system for doing previews and starting and stopping the show so some delay is normal because when you begin at a particular slide, PTE will automatically begin the show at the transition from the previous slide. The absolute file size limit is about 2 gigabytes but part of this limit is being used by the operating system so in reality when a show reaches close to 1.7 gigabytes in size, things get rather dicy. When you create the exe file, use the "Create safe file for the internet" feature which will make the data file carry the majority of the data and the exe portion smaller. 

When a file is zipped, unfortunately styles are not included and I am missing whichever style you used for slides 29 through 39 but that didn't keep the show from running - just gave me the error messages as the slides were rotating in and out. One suggestion I have is adding another blank slide to the end of the show without text for a short duration of perhaps four seconds and fading out the audio track at that point. You can do that by clicking on the red line timeline to place a keframe at the beginning of this blank slide and then clicking once again near the very end of this blank slide and dragging the second keyframe down as far as it will go which will effectively fade out the sound track so it doesn't end abruptly.  

The sound is good and I'm assuming you did want the background sound tracks to continue while the audio from the video clips were playing. You can diminish the volume of the background sound track by simply using the keframe method as described to end your sound track. Then when the audio from the video ends, you can keyframe the volume of the background back up as desired. In all, the show is quite good and you have done a really good job with using the software.

Best regards,

Lin. 

Hi Lin:

Your feedback is very much appreciated on this project as we intend to publish this to our website once it is completed. I am pleased to hear that you feel I have used the software in a good way. We had done research on which software would be best for our intended use and we kept coming back to Picturestoexe for the friendly user ability, relatively shorter learning curve and the creativity which I am still exploring. I am a self taught individual on software and will most likely never use Photoshop to its fullest potential but it does the job for me for what I need it for currently.

The style used for 29-39 was the floating images with all having the same background image but each one was a different image of leading up to Kilworthy House, and yes I chose to keep the music track playing at -3% volume. I am using a 64bit operating system, windows 10. I have created two other stories in Picturetoexe at about the same number of slides using various styles and transitions with video and music, but this is my first with an audio track overlayed playing through a number of slides. I will most definitely take your advice for the ending. I again appreciate your assistance in this Lin, how can I ever repay you for your kindness?

Hi Jenny,

We all try to help one another here on the forum so no problem at all. PTE, like many (most, in fact) other application software programs  is still a 32 bit software event though Windows has moved to 64 bit so the limit for executable code is an absolute 2 gigabytes but this also includes not only the internal PTE code but also what is needed by the operating system, etc. Videos are not so constrained, but executable code can crash when this limit is approached. When PTE show size gets above about 1.7 gigabytes, strange things can happen so try to keep your overall show size below that limit and as mentioned earlier, when making an exe show of significant size keep in mind that the "Safe Executable File for Internet" is a better choice because the executable file itself isn't so large and it greatly diminishes the chances that errors might occur. Videos, of course, can be larger than 2 gigabytes as long as they don't overwhelm the maximum operating system limitations. 

Best regards.

Lin

Hi Lin:

I will see what I can do to reduce the file size without losing impact of the story itself. Thank you so much for all of your input. I hope that someday I may be of assistance to another newbie such as myself.

Kind regards,

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I created the safe for internet executable with your show including adding the blank image at the end, fading out the sound and I also added a blank at the beginning of your show to slow the onset a couple seconds and it all worked fine without reducing the size so I think you will be good to go as it is. 

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Lin:

Wow!

You have gone above and beyond any assistance I was seeking! Thankyou I will most definitely do that to the file.

Am just now putting finishing touches on the story and will include your additions. In my opinion thanks is not enough, how about I see what I can do about your political leader hmmm. Lol

That may cover your expert kindness to me!

Kind regards,

Jenny

Hi Lin:

I have implemented your ideas and presto, it is now working seamlessly, I can now pause in the middle of my story make adjustments to music or texts or timing on the slides and can press play and it picks up exactly where it left off when paused, so thankyou from the bottom of my heart I have now completed it and it is now more polished and professional looking and sounding. To me this was a huge huge help!

Best regards,

Jenny