WnSoft Forums

Annoying Popups!!

fitzner101

Hi Harry,

Zone Alarm is not free but I think it’s worth the price. I have been using it for the best part of two years and until about two weeks ago, have not seen one popup. I have since install ZA security suite, and once again, the popup banners are gone.

George

Harry,

I would agree with George. Zone Alert is very good. It is a firewall and not only stops pop ups but prevents hackers and all thoes nasty things that clog up your drive. You buy and then get updates for a year and then have the option to renew. you can down load and have a look at a limited version same as the P2E system. Only draw back is you need to turn off parts of the firewall ti get downloads from Beechbrook ect. But when you load first you will get alerts which "train" the programme to your level of security. I have not seen a pop up since I installed, I have to come to work to see them! :D

Alan

Hi Harry!

I'm using for some weeks the free MyIE2 (a very interesting multi-purpose add-on for Iexplorer), and I found it's very effective also against pop-ups. Sure, a commercial (or shareware) program can be more powerful, but this little MyIE2 is worth a check.

Zone Alarm has a freebee version. It works great too.

As for 'pop-ups' do you refer to web-site windows or the messages?

if you refer to those Windows messages that pop-up, turn them off.

if web-pop-ups, those can be turned off too, depending on your browser.

Merlin

Hope this helps.......

If you are talking about Webpage based popups (i.e the ones which show up when you are browsing websites) then the best thing is to use the Free google toolbar.

Get it here :

The free google toolbar

If you are getting popups on sites which are on paid for domains (i.e. not free webspace hosting then it may be because your PC is infected with spyware/pestware). This is something which virus checkers do not flagup but are a right pain. They show popup adverts at random intervals when your browser is running. They can be checked for and killed using software such as adaware (free).

The the final kind of popup is windows messenger service (2000 and XP only), this will be a windows dialogue type box in the centre of the screen with an OK button. This is easy to fix.....

How to stop messenger service.

Hope this helps, I have suffered from all three types of popups over the years.

Thanks

Andy

Unfortunately...at least in my experience (which seems to VAST now), AdAware might be OK on a new machine...but ONCE the ANNOYANCES have imbedded themselves on your computer...you are in trouble. Adaware cannot remove some things are already installed.

For example...DSO Exploit and Common Hijacker programs are extremely difficult to get rid of.

But the worse thing right now is the w32.spybot.worm worm that gets on your machine...they don't make a GOOD automatic removal tool to get rid of it...and if you follow the manual removal instructions...well, lets just say it is complimcated.

To me...these pop windows, programs and worms are getting worse.

Any tips and suggestions (even though this is not on subject of this forum) would be GREATLY appreciated by I know more than one or two forum members.

Wally

Yes Wally, Adaware does not always find things. I have found that Spyware-remover by BPS seems better at the job.

Spyware-Remove page

Personally I tend to reformat my hard disk every year or so, as this is the only real way to clean up everything.

On the new install make sure you start by getting all the service packs before installing anything else.

Make sure you have a firewall, idealy a hardware one.

Andy