WnSoft Forums

Old Drive-In Movie Nostalgia...

Lin Evans

Hi Lin,

I think the last drive in movie I watched was "Easy Rider" back in 1969 when I was about 13 years old. I have always been an early riser so I would usually go to sleep around 8 pm. Unfortunately the drive in movies didn't start until after dark which was about 9 pm during the summer so I always fell asleep before the movie was over. Glad we now have HDTV with streaming video so we don't have to leave the house.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I guess, but I've never watched streaming video - don't even have a service - only a rabbit ear antenna. Of course I'm lots older - I grew up in the late 50's and loved taking my then girlfriend (later wife) to the movies. The drive-in's were great fun. Popcorn, peanuts, cokes, cuddling close and watching great flicks and dreaming of the future. Having fresh air with the windows down, adjusting the sound and in the winter the heater and sometimes snuggling under a warm blanket were all part of the experience. Even finding just the right place to park was fun. Later, in the early 70's when I was an over-the-road trucker. I used to drop my trailer and load at a truck stop and drive my big tractor to drive-in movies and park in the very back so my rig wouldn't block the view. There was something very elemental in this experience - something today's population for the most part just will never understand I guess.

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Ken,

Sadly, I never got to experience that very often. We just had  one child - my daughter who was born while I was in combat in Vietnam. She was about eleven months old before we ever met and my trucking job kept me on the road most of the time. When I finally quit trucking, my wife and I were splitting up and I had moved from California to Colorado then back to California for my first couple years of college. I met my second wife in college and we did go to a few drive-in movies which were still operating in the early to mid 70's but we were dirt poor living on my GI bill paying tuition and such so didn't have much left over for entertainment. Still - nostalgia makes me remember the fun of the old drive-ins and I often wish there were more of them still in operation. There are still two here in Colorado that I'm aware of. I might just pack up Ruby dog and drive the 50 miles or so to see a movie there one of these days...

Best regards,

Lin