WnSoft Forums

Objects Editor vs Photoshop

dagrace

I've seen some references to this topic in other threads, but I thought I'd ask it point blank.

Let's say I want to show slide 1, then show the same picture on the next slide, with another smaller picture in addition, say, in the upper left corner.

Method 1

Slide 2 could be exactly the same pic as Slide 1, with the additional picture included as an object, positioned wherever I want.

Method 2

I could use Photoshop to create the look of Slide 2 using layers, in the correct position and size, then save the whole thing and use that as Slide 2's pic and not use the object editor.

I think I've read on this forum that in general people prefer Method 2, avoiding the Object Editor.

Is that true? If so, why? I understand that there are some positioning issues at times at different screen resolutions. Is that the only reason? :unsure:

Could some of the experts with lots of experience wiegh in on this?

Does the answer change if I say I want text instead of a second picture? Either method will produce the result.

Thanks.

David

i think one time Al Robinson or another member offered a grid pattern that you could use to line up the pictures on then take it out of the show.

you might do a search -- the grid might be a start for you

check around the dates sept 30 2003

i have the 20 kb gif if you send me your email

ken

I think I am right in saying that with method 1 whilst you can position an object you cannot resize it. With Method 2 (Photoshop) you can do both and other things besides.

Ron [uK]

Thanks guys.

Ken, I have the grid. I found it somewhere when I was poking around. :D

The real question for me is:

Do you use the Object Editor? If so, what for? (Not "what can it be used for" but "what do you use it for, if at all?")

It seems I've seen a lot of advice / workflow that suggests people tend to do the construction outside of PTE (my Method 2 above) even if the Object Editor will do the job. Just trying to understand the rationale.

Not a biggie. But if there's some downside to the Object Editor that I'm overlooking, I'd rather know it now than after spending 20 hours on a show. :(

I use Object Editor in all my slide shows. I use a black slide as a separator between topic sections in which I use the text feature to create a title. This can be positioned anywhere on the slide in any type font or size. I also put occasional titles directly on a slide with OE. Very useful.

I use the object editor for complete show presentations by using "When show ends keep last slide on screen" then using Object Editor insert thumbnail title slides or text titles. Then using right click on the Object select Properties complete the "Action on mouse click" by selecting under Action "Run application or open file" and completing the "Enter Programme" box. There was a previous thread on this for which you might like to search and for which I produced "Intro Demo" for the Beechbrook (Beechbrook.com) site.

Ron [uK]

The beauty of using photoshop is that you know for certain exactly where things will be - e.g. any added text. Also, by putting all your pte slides into individual layers in PS you can experiment with different slide orders to check fades etc (by changing layer opacity temporarily) and crop all images accurately. I find PTE object window fine for simple setting up but much prefer to use PS. But there again, I automatically turn to PS first for any graphics I need to do. B)

I operate the same as Roger for all my images. It is first into Photoshop and produce everything from there.

Ron [uK]

Ron, Roger, bharkins,

Thanks. I guess once you're in there, you might as well stay in PS. I can see the special uses that some have described. Ron, I've not been bold enough to try the clever things you suggest, but I know they are possible. Maybe next show! :unsure:

bharkins, I've done what you do and it worked flawlessly. That's why I was somewhat confused. There's obviously no hard and fast rule.

Thanks, all.

• 2 weeks later...

David

another grid for you -- you may be able to use it

ken

partial quote from

PC World's Digital Focus

Photography expert Dave Johnson's tips will enhance your digital camera, printer, and image editing expertise with recommendations on digital challenges from shooting techniques to digital publishing, answers to reader questions, and a photo contest.

July 13th, 2004

Photography's Most Important Rule

When we take ordinary snapshots, we rarely plan ahead. The snapshot process is fast and casual: See something interesting; put camera to eye; put subject in frame; press shutter release. In fact, that's what often distinguishes a picture as a snapshot: The subject usually ends up smack in the middle of the frame.

If you thumb through magazines and look at professional photos, or even watch the way scenes are framed on TV and in the movies, you'll find that the subject is rarely dead center in the frame. Instead, photographers rely on what is probably the single most important rule in composing pictures: the Rule of Thirds.

The Rule of Thirds divides the frame into a grid that resembles a tic-tac-toe board, like this:

http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/screencams/thirds.jpg

Hi David

I always use Photoshop (method 2)

I seem to recall reading somewhere on this Forum (way back !!!) that as different viewers / monitors/projectors etc project at different resolutions, sometimes the placement you choose in the object editor may alter on different screens.

This may not be correct in the new PTE version - perhaps someone can correct me on this one.

I do use the object editor but not if the placement is critical for a dissolve, etc.

Ken's tip about the rule of thirds is a good one

but if something doesn't fit into this rule ...........

I will use Photoshop to cut out the main focus and paste it where I want it,

correct the background (copy background) and then put on a Gaussian blur.

As I'm working on the copy of the background I can see the amount of blur I want and delete if I'm not happy. The main focus will stay sharp on a layer above the blurred background.

Remember to make sure the main Focus has a feathered edge (I always use layer masking techniques)

The eye will be drawn to the sharp main focus and forgive the blurred background.

But then again rules are often meant to be broken (not laws!) and the results can often still work ! :rolleyes:

Best wishes

Maureen :D

I always use method 2 for the reasons of control, the fact that you would have infinate different ways to present the picture in picture using Photoshop Layers.

If placement was critical then use a grid and set Photoshop to snap to grid and that should help.

BBdigital

And last but not least (unless this has changed somewhere and I missed it), creating title slides in PS assures you that the fonts you select are in fact the fonts that show up in the presentation when the user sees it. If you use the object editor to put text on your slides, if you select a fancy font that exists on your machine but not on the prospective user's machine, then font substitution will occur at the time the show plays and it's hard to tell what font the computer will select.