WnSoft Forums

MultiShow Free Utility

boxig

Granot hi

Am I to understand that  "finally got the shows" means ONE show ???

No--I inserted 14 shows and was not able to insert another. But with your latest iteration the missing show appeared. What accounts for this I cannot say as I followed all your instructions really to the letter.

By the way the skin is just fine and it really looks like a most wonderful program. As we say "kol hakavod" :D:D Don't change anything--I can understand it now.

Happy Thailand

Barbara

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granot, I am still paying attention but have fallen behind in trying or testing. My only question for now - don't hit me if I have not paid close enough attention - Does the current version install the shows from CD to hardrive and run them from hard drive? Now, remember, who promised not to get violent! :(

:o

Now, remember, who promised not to get violent!

Robert, I am thinking to myself, sould I go to your place with a gun

or just mail you the poison.

The first paragraph of updated "readme" says:

What's new in version 1.0.0.8

======================

Simplified few things by using "cfg.ini" file.

Open "cfg.ini" and you will see 5 lines:

1)   MultiShow

2)   ========

3)   Display Logo Time=3000

4)   Install Presentations=1

5)   Pause between Presentations=2000

In "Install Presentations=" write 1 if you want the utility to Copy presentations to user Hard Drive, run the presentations from HD, and Delete the presentation when done. This is done for each presentation at a time, so you have to consider that it may take more time for big presentations to be copied and opened. Write 0 (zero) if you want your presentations to run from your CD and not to be copied to HD.

So I know there are some people (like me) who are lazy to read the "Readme", and some just don't know to read. I guess you are from the lazy group ;)

I know it is difficult to follow all the changes I made in such a short time but every dear member should understand that this small utility was started by a members request (ken) and other members followed by adding functionlity demands, so things had to be added. Anyway, you are lucky I'm on vacation in beautiful Thailand and I must be stupid spending my time with my PC instead of enjoying on a tropical island... :(

You should notice that actually the utility is done and finished. Last version is 1.0.0.8 and now ken is working on some new skins. If there will be changes, it will probably be only of appearance.

This is the time to send your last requests for more options and changes, reporting bugs and so on. but the most important is to let me know it works with no problem as it should. So please, whoever tried (only version 1.0.0.8), let me know how it works so I can made final arrangments to release version 2.0.

Thank you all

:P Granot

I swear Granot, I have read every Readme file you ever wrote except this one! :o

I have now tried Version 1.0.0.8

My first comment is - although the cfg.ini works just fine loading PTE show to hard drive - I think there is a better way from the stand point of the PTE show creator and the recipient of the PTE via MultiShow. If I use MultiShow to convey a PTE show on CD to someone, I have often no idea whether their pc or cd-rom player is fast or slow, adequate or inadequate, for the PTE show to run properly from the CD. Therefor, I think it would be much better if you can figure a way where the CD recipient can make the decision to install to hard drive or not. My preference would be if you can add another button so the viewer person could select whether the selected show(s) would be installed to hard drive or not.

A related issue that I think could be improved -

I tested version 8 with the cfg.ini set to install to HD. My CD had only one show - a very large show, 72mb. When the CD auto-runs, the viewer never has a chance to see MultiShow, only the actual PTE starts playing. In the case of my large show, it takes a very long time to install and load without the user having any idea whether the right thing is happening. I dare say almost no-one would be patient enough with such a large show and many not even with a shorter show. I think, even with only one show on the cd, it would be better to let the end viewer person decide install or not. Then even with a long show, he may expect "ok" if he has taken a conscious action. Also, if he gets to make the choice, he has benefit of an explanation that the preparer can provide for with your "About" button.

Now more from my testing:

I burned MultiShow & a single PTE show onto a data DVD instead of a CD. I could not get the autorun feature to work. I don't know if an autorun.inf has to be different or something to work on DVD?

When the Autorun did not work, I clicked on the Multishow.exe. Because there was only one PTE show on the DVD, I never saw the face of Multishow, but only eventually the PTE show did appear. The PTE show was created to play over and over until stopped. So (as I read in earlier posts ;) ) the show never ends so that Multishow can takeover at end. What I did not expect however, is that I could not even manually Escape from the show. That is, repeated pushing of the escape key did nothing. Using WinXP, I had to CTRL-ALT-Del to bring up window to terminate the PTE show. When I terminated the PTE.exe, the MultiShow terminated also. I suspect that leaves the PTE.exe file on the hard drive? Which "Temp" directory would I search to see if it is still there? And, when the MultiShow installed PTE is running, can the PTE.exe file be seen as a normal file somewhere on the hard drive?

Therefor, I think it would be much better if you can figure a way where the CD recipient can make the decision to install to hard drive or not. My preference would be if you can add another button so the viewer person could select whether the selected show(s) would be installed to hard drive or not.

:D Great idea !

This will be added to next version.

I tested version 8 with the cfg.ini set to install to HD. My CD had only one show - a very large show, 72mb. When the CD auto-runs, the viewer never has a chance to see MultiShow, only the actual PTE starts playing. In the case of my large show, it takes a very long time to install and load without the user having any idea whether the right thing is happening. I dare say almost no-one would be patient enough with such a large show and many not even with a shorter show. I think, even with only one show on the cd, it would be better to let the end viewer person decide install or not. Then even with a long show, he may expect "ok" if he has taken a conscious action. Also, if he gets to make the choice, he has benefit of an explanation that the preparer can provide for with your "About" button.

:D Great idea again !

Some of your useful suggestions will be added to next version. The other I have to see firdt how I do it and then they will added too to next version.

I burned MultiShow & a single PTE show onto a data DVD instead of a CD. I could not get the autorun feature to work. I don't know if an autorun.inf has to be different or something to work on DVD?

:( I don't know too.

Maybe some DVD experts can give us the answer ????

When the Autorun did not work, I clicked on the Multishow.exe. Because there was only one PTE show on the DVD

... that means (I guess) that the "autorun.inf" don't work on DVD.

I never saw the face of Multishow, but only eventually the PTE show did appear.

Yes. Here is some explanation. When there is only one show then you actually don't need any button on the "MultiShow. So the MultiShow is hidden and it runs the only one show after installing it.

BUT....if you have only one show, why you don't use my "TempCD" utility which install and run and uninstall one show ?????

The PTE show was created to play over and over until stopped. So (as I read in earlier posts ) the show never ends so that Multishow can takeover at end. What I did not expect however, is that I could not even manually Escape from the show. That is, repeated pushing of the escape key did nothing. Using WinXP, I had to CTRL-ALT-Del to bring up window to terminate the PTE show. When I terminated the PTE.exe, the MultiShow terminated also.

Yes, I have to add this notice to the "Readme". I'll explain:

The utility waits till the show is finished and then close itself. If your show was created never to end, then the utility never closed. I don't know why you could not ESC from the show (?) but all this have to be remembered as written in the "Readme":

Important:

Viewing few presentations one after the other automatically is possible only if those presentation auto exit when show is finished, or if user close the presentation. It is not possible if presentation repeats itself after last slide or is not closed by user.

I suspect that leaves the PTE.exe file on the hard drive? Which "Temp" directory would I search to see if it is still there?

Not if everything worked as it should. When show is closed, utility demoves the show from HD and then exit. Since you use XP, look at this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp

You can leave this folder open and try a windowed show so you can see when it is installed and removed.

And, when the MultiShow installed PTE is running, can the PTE.exe file be seen as a normal file somewhere on the hard drive?

Why ?

That was great headache :lol: and hope to get some more of the kind.

You have been great help Robert. Please continue by checking next version and sending more headache if you can. I will leave now the exotic beach :angry: forget I'm on vacation :angry::angry: and go to work on your suggestions :angry::angry::angry:

What's new in version 1.0.0.9

* When you have one show it will work the same as few shows.

* User can decide if he wants to install or not presentations.

* You can add your URL so user can visit your web site.

More details:

Now end user can make the decision to install your shows to

hard drive or not. If you (creator of PTE) configure the utility to

instal, a message will tell this to the user and he can cancel

installation. If you configure the utility not to install, another

message will ask user if, neverthless, he wants to install. In

other words, you set the default (install or not) but user can

change it.

MultiShow will work with one show the same way as with few

shows and window will be visible.

You add your full web site address on line 6 of "cfg.ini" file.

If you have not web site erase this line to be empty.

See the small icon under the CD image.

Remember - Write in your "about" all you think your user needs to know.

Robert - I tried to use a presentaion which repaet itself and I could close it with ESC. Please can you check how it works now ?

Roger - watching is good but checking and sending feedback is better ;)

Barbara - is that means you are the best person to be my tester for all my utilities ? :P

Please dear members, more feedback before final version is closed.

Hi Boxiq

I'd like to make one suggestion and put one request if not too late:

Suggestion : I think it would be useful to indicate, over or below the window where the various shows appear : " FIRST, click on the shows you want to select"…

Now, my custom request that would interest the French community :

Would it be possible to translate into French the wording of the different buttons ?

"Run selected shows" = "Lancer les diaporamas sélectionnés"

"Run all the shows" = "Lancer tous les diaporamas"

"Load all shows from CD" = "Transfer.diapos sur disque dur"

"Select a list of shows" = "Selectionner une liste"

"Save list" = "enregistrer la liste"

"Load list" = "charger la liste"

"Loop" = "lecture en boucle"

"about" = "Preface de l'auteur

If it were too long wording with diaporama one can shorten it to diapo which all french speaking person would understand... :rolleyes:

Boxig,

Please excuse my ignorance if I overlooked the obvious, but how do I, or anyone else for that matter, find your latest release of the program "Multishow"? I've visited your website but can not find "Multshow", however on page 2 of this Forum there is a link that will get me there, is there not something more obvious that I have not seen?

Regards,

Trev C

What's new in version 1.0.1.0

User can install one screen saver to user's system.

If user will click on the mini screen icon (new on this version) he will be asked if he wants to install your screen saver. If yes, then your screen saver, which you will put in "Shows" folder, will be installed and the "Windows Display Proprties" window will open, to enable user for more action. The screen saver will be installed as "aPteScreenSaver.scr" and you can tell user, if you want, that he can remove the screen saver by deleting this file (he can make a search for "aPteScreenSaver.scr" and delete it).

On Win XP you can find it here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\aPteScreenSaver.scr

You must write the name of your screen saver file without extension on line 7 on "cfg.ini" file. If you don't want to use this option just don't include a screen saver.

Please check how it works for big Screen Savers and small and let me know.

Closing time is near, please more feedback.

Haddock,

This is possible but whyat about messages that appears ?

We will have to talk about this after version 2.0 will be finished and all dimentions will be final. Please remember to remind me. And, this probably will be in Ken's hands, who is responsible to the graphics.

FarleyBen,

sorry, you are right. Here is again the download link:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/MultiShowPlayer.zip

:P:P:P Granot

Hi all,

I am presently preparing a new "MultiShow" release that includes new interface and bigger window. This release will be available shortly and I will advise you in this or new thread. I am then planning to delay any further updates (and I think non is needed) until many of you have had the opportunity to evaluate this last version.

All your new inputs and suggestions will then be considered for future releases.

Thank you for all the great help that you have provided me so for and please, please give me further feedback. My desire is to create a PTE slideshow player that will be very nice for your many presentations.

Of course, as many of you may be aware I have been offering assistance to Granot with this new utility that he is developing.

I am an amateur photographer and probably shoot several thousand photos a year. Often people protest me sticking my camera in their faces...but I know years later somebody will appreciate it. I have been a pretty heavy user of PTE for several years. It offers a very convenient means of sharing photos with family and friends. I probably bore many of my relatives with CD slideshows that I have sent them over the years but I think some of them appreciate my efforts. Most of my relatives have computers but many have a hard time just turning them on...they're not very computer savvy. I have spent a lot of time creating thumbnail front-end PTE slideshows and autorun.inf files to make the process of playing the CD easy for these relatives.....lots of work for me.

When I saw Granot's initial MultiShow I became very excited. I think he is going to have a very excellent product that he is willing to share with us all. I don't believe, although I haven't asked him, that he is a PTE slideshow creator like many of us in this forum. I desire this player to fit my own personal needs and that is why I have offered my assistance, although my expertise may be somewhat limited in the area of graphics and software design.

I urge each of you to download Granot's MultiShow and give it a try. Your feedback and suggestions will be very important in creating this product. So...give your opinions on this player even if you are a little shy...no idea is a dumb idea.

I will continue to assist Granot...anyway I can.

Your participation is appreciated.

thanks for reading this........ken

:rolleyes: