WnSoft Forums

Roll style (like a scroll opening) or unfolding

Scraapi

Hi

I wonder if anybody could point me in the right direction to find a tutorial to help me make my photo roll out like opening a scroll/map to read it.  It doesn't matter which way it rolls open.  Failing that, then to have the photo unfolding.  Any help with this is greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.  Celia

Hi Scraapi,

Actually, there are a few ways to approach this depending on how "fancy" you want the scroll to be. The easiest way is to simply get an image of a piece of parchment of the color desired and write your text on it in the desired font. The easiest type to read would be one which rolls down from the top although you could design something which rolls from any direction. In PTE one of the transitions is "curling of page" under "standard transitions."  You adjust to "unfolding" and set the radius to about 3 and leave the 3d volume at the default. Change the time for the transition to about 5 seconds or so and the slide time to about 10 seconds. I'm including a little zip file with the components and the PTE file. Just extract everything into a folder by itself and load the PTE file and preview it. 

If you wanted to get fancy, you could make the parchment paper in Photoshop and make the ends as fancy and shaped like you want and just save as a PNG with transparency. There are other possibilities but play with this and maybe it will give you some ideas.

Below the zipped file is a quick little style which creates an opening scroll. Apply to any 16:9 aspect image. To change the text, when you select the style and before applying it, change the text in the "text comment" then after applying it, adjust the size of the text at the first keyframe and use the identical value at the last keyframe. To get more text in or change font use the Objects and Animations screen features.

Best regards,

Lin

scroll_Mar8-2020_18-06-43.zip

Parchment Scroll.ptestyle

Hi Lin

I have played around with this, thank you so much.  I have one further question if I may.

I have created a parchment paper and saved as .png that fills about 4/5 of the screen.  First the whole screen rolled with a black background.  Then I chose a background image rather than solid background (I chose the same image as the previous slide) but the background image and the scroll all roll at once which looks a bit odd.  I just wondered if there was a way to just have the scroll png rolling over the previous background image.  i.e. the image stays up and the scroll on its own rolls down?  Any further help appreciated, as always.

Let me think about this for a bit. I don't think it's possible to do that with a transition. Probably the best way to do what you want is with a green screen (chroma key) video. Give me a few hours to look around and I'll see what I can find.

Meanwhile, since this works fine with a black screen, try this:  After the previous slide and before you use the parchment roll-up, add a short blank slide. This will make the roll-up transition from a black screen rather than from an image with color and detail. To roll it up using the transition with an image which isn't black in the background isn't going to work as far as I know. 

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Celia,

If you could post a sample of "exactly" what you want to do (like are you trying to roll-up an image or do you want a scroll with text on it to appear over an image) then I think I can make you a style which will do this.

Did you download and load the style I created for you?  The one which opens a horizontal scroll with text?

Let me know.

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Lin

I have downloaded the style you created and had a play with it.  Many thanks.

I am trying to create a story where a map appears, and rolls open (the map in the attachment is not finished yet!!)

What I would like to achieve is a map rolling open over an image, so not with any moving text.  I would like to be able to this over any image, i.e. with a transparent background.  

I cannot find anywhere to select a transparent background, only black or an image, so have selected the image, but the both the image and the scroll roll.

So basically I am trying to get the scroll to be the only thing that rolls, not the background as well.

Hope this explains OK.

Many many thanks

Celia

Hi Celia,

I believe I may have a solution. If you give me a few hours I'll create a sample for you. Although we can't modify the pagecurl directly, what can be done is one of the suggestions I had earlier which is a green screen chromakey extraction. The way I will do this is to take your map when you have it ready, then apply the pagecurl in the way you want it, but play it with a solid green background. I have the ability to screen-capture at any resolution up to 4K in a seamless way so I'll play it with the green background and capture it as a green-screen video. Then that video can be played over any image on PTE and by using PTE's chroma key for video, the green background will become transparent and what "was" the green background will reveal the slide beneath so you will not see the slide beneath rolling up. 

I'll post a sample to show it and when finished, I'll make a video tutorial and post it.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Celia,
The way I originally wanted to try to do this with chroma-key extraction won't work correctly because the roll-out transition has some funky stuff at the very end which spoils the effect. What I did was modify my earlier style which I posted for you in a couple significant ways so it can be used with your png map. 

Below is a video tutorial I made for you so you can easiy learn how to use this if it works for you. This style is a little different than most in the following way. First, you choose an image which determines the colors and texture of the scroll "handles" on the right hand side. The image you apply the style to will not automatically appear but what it does is give the data to the style to create the appearance of the top and bottom "knobs or handles" on the right side of the scroll. You can use the image you eventually want in the background or any image for this purpose. For example, if you were to select a simple brown image of about the same color as the knobs on the left to apply the style to, you would get brown knobs. If you were to choose a solid red, blue, green, etc., you would end up with one of those respective colors. If you choose the actual image you want as a background, the colors and texture on the right hand knobs will compement that image. Once  you have select the image and applied the style, you then go to Objects and Animations and chose whatever image you want as a background, but the knobs will remain the colors and textures of the image you applied the style to. I think the tutorial will explain this - it's really simple. 

Next you replace the image just below the "reference image" (the very bottom of all the code) with the actual background image. Next you go right above where you see "text" and select the text and go to and select the second keyframe so you can see the open scroll and put your PNG (or any PNG) image in and adjust the position and size as indicated in the tutorial. Then just change the transition to "quick" and run a preview to see that everything is O.K.

Let me know if you have any questions and if this will work for you. If you want the handles on the right to be identical to the ones on the left, use the mahogany wood linked below to apply the style to before choosing your background image as explained in the video below.

Best regards,

Lin  {ps style to download is under the video as well as the mahogany wood)

Parchment Scroll2.ptestyle

mohoganywood.jpg