WnSoft Forums

RPS International AV Festival Cirencester 24-26 Se

Due to the excellent entry for The International AV Festival in Cirencester 24-26 September (90 entries - 65 of which are digital - 25 anaogue), these is now a need for an extra session on Friday afternoon which will start at 2.30. So, any intending attending this event should try to be there for this first session. For more information abou the Festival visit the Festival site whcih can be reached via www.avworld.org

Hi Peter,

Congradulations to all conserned in the International Festival.When we look back to even the recent past we can see how digital A/V has become a shot in the arm for A/V as a medium. Entry levels have shot up, new faces with new ideas have arrived. All bodes well for the future.

Now an extra session on Friday! I alas cannot be there, but should I send some food parcles and blankets with the Irish contengent. :D

Very best wishes to all concerned in the event and good luck to the entrants,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan

Don't know about food parcels and blankets but Irish whiskey would be nice ! :D

Just to let everyone know that the full programme for the 16th International AV Festival at Cirencester is now available at ...........www.avworld.org

Good Luck everyone - especially number 79 ! ;)

Hope to meet lots of Forum members there.

Best wishes

Maureen

Have been toying with the idea of posting it up minus the first few minutes introduction (which has the music and therefore the copyright problems )

So you would see some of my work (now that I have at last got the Broadband fast connection!) :) Oh course you might not wish to ! :unsure:

It is a pity to "cannibalise" the sequence but some might think it is stronger without the introduction !

The British organisations who provide amateurs with the licences here are very strict about where the work can be shown and I was told that posting it on a web site was not allowed. The M.C.P.S. (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society) also employ people to make checks (copyright police!) and I can't affford their large fines ! :(

Will let you know if I manage to post it up somewhere!.

Best wishes

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Sod No.79 what about sweet 16, never been kissed? Also I have some 12 year old Bushmills litteraly with my name on it. A birthday present from mammy :D. I'll try to email you a drop, or you could pick it up in Shannon ;)

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
mank vou merry yuch  

Alan

Have you been drinking that 12 year old Bushmills already Alan? :blink:

Sweet 16 will become No 41 (the vanishing Race) if she gets into No 42 (Deep Water)

after No 54 (The Pleasures & Pitfalls)

I can see you are No 90 (Under the influence) of No 09 (Liquid Gold) so take No 05 (Tea for the British)

or you'll end up No 46 (In a Bad Shape) and having to go for No 72 (The Cure)!

Better finish and maintain No 11 (Solitary Silence)

BW Maureen

PS Good Luck ! Pick up the bottle (if it's not empty! :( ) at Shannon !

see list of entries

Hi Maureen,

20!

I can certainly say that 30. I hope you enjoy 77 to Shannon and have 84 while there. If we hit the bottle too early we could be 34 on Saturday and 46 on Sunday. But even if it turns out to be 49, by Sunday evening we will all say 74 :D.

If any other members are wondering what's going on here and who's to blame, then all I'll say is 92! :lol:

Alan

We had a great time at the Festival at Cirencester and I have now posted the results on the avworld web site

Congratulations to all the winners and also to those who took part.

It was good to see so many good entries. :D

I have also posted up the results from the European Supercircuit at Hayange & Nilvange too.

Best wishes

Maureen

34. Acceptation  The Emerald isle Al Robinson CAN 1

Congratulations too Al :D:D:D

- you also have a FIAP AV winner's point !

Well done.

Will be posting up some pictures from Cirencester soon at www.avworld.com

Maureen

Thanks, Maureen. I'll need every point I can get! Especially when up against such formidable competition as your crew in the UK!!! :rolleyes::)

Bob,

According to the rules of the Super-Circuit, "entering a digital diaporama implies permission for public projection and acceptance of these rules.

Digital diaporamas presented at any festival will be considered to be free of rights of ownership (artistic or otherwise) held by others. In case of dispute the French rules will prevail!" (whatever that means! :) ) So there is nothing really preventing the authors from providing the shows for public viewing if they wish to do so.

In my case, I plan to post my show on my web site as soon as the competition is over (sometime next spring, as it is a 4 or 5-part circuit, with points being accumulated (hopefully) in each location).

Maybe next year we can add some N American locations to the circuit.

Firstly, Congratulations to all,

Again we ate dealing with copyright. Al is right, entry emplys the author has the right to publicly display the work. But this does not remove onus from others handling the copy. The licence we have in Ireland allows us to enter such competitions and to show to audiences for non profit events. While posting on the web is a great way to show your work you have no control over coppies or distibrution, or indeed what the work is used for. What we need is a "closed loop" where work can be circulated between forum members and their camera clubs. A non competitive supercircut? Let me think more and I'll post an idea and we can see what we come up with,

Oh! by the way Only 364 days till the next supercircut starts :D Twice that for the RPS International :rolleyes:

Thought that would bring ye all down with a bump :P

Alan

Hi all

The copyright issue is very complex.

We pay for a UK licence which allows us to send work as amateurs into the comps.

Mechanical Copyright Protection Society This organisation is also linked Internationally (lots of info on the web)

entering a digital diaporama implies permission for public projection and acceptance of these rules. Digital diaporamas presented at any festival will be considered to be free of rights of ownership (artistic or otherwise) held by others.

ie you have the necessary licence for the organisers to project and "free of rights of ownership" - This means that the organisers are checking you have permission to use everything within your sequence i.e. copy of an old photo from a book etc (so the organisers are covering themselves about permissions etc.)

I've asked about posting on the web and as far as our UK licences are concerned it's a big no :( (at present) - hoping this can be ammended somehow in the future.

For those anxiously ticking off days to the next Festival - I've been in "negotiations" (arm twisted very badly!) to run another "super Southern weekend " next April (16th) here in Aldbourne. All will be revealed in due course. Am trying to get it shown in Wales, Ireland, Scotland at the same time - how about offers from across the Pond or even Russia? :D So you could see lots of D-AVs locally & officially !

Like a massive Eurovision Song Contest for AVs ! I know the Supercircuit is great :)

& very active in Europe (held in the Autumn)

This would be a Spring based Festival.

Maybe I should start another thread when I have more info for you.

Congratulations all round again.

Love Maureen

I think the copyright situation for the music in your shows is absurd. Does the music composer or even a CD publishing company think they would lose potential revenue by letting you show your presentations to scattered individuals around the world?! If I don't hear their music, I am sure not to buy it. If I do hear the music in the context of a pte show, I might be a potential customer for the music. I think this is absolutely a different situation than a world wide sharing of music through peer-to-peer setups.

I certainly am not blaming our forum members or any PTE users. I understand that you are just explaining the situation as it is. But it is simply an absurd result from presumeably a good intent. :(

Bob,

I couldn't have said it better! I agree 100%. And, I'll bet you could win in court on that argument, too. Unless, of course, the slide show was deemed to be degrading or detrimental in some way to the music selections or the artists involved, which would rarely be the case.

Our copyright laws are continuously being amended, but, unfortunately, not very wisely, and certainly not for the better. The recording companies are shooting themselves in the foot with the latest amendments.

It really all boils down to greed on the part of those already making more profit than they deserve - while the artists themselves, (except for a minority of the more well-off and more vocal ones, who spoil it for the others), would love to spread their work around to make themselves known.

It reminds me a little of the current standoff in the National Hockey League between the fat-cat owners and the even fatter-cat players. We the audience are caught in the middle. :(

That's how I see it, anyway! :unsure:

Further to what Al has said "...the slide show was deemed to be degrading or detrimental in some way to the music selections or the artists involved ..." . At the RPS Festival I understood it to be said that it would be nice to have credits at the end of the sequences. But one of the conditions for using some copyright free music is that "The Buyer may not use the artist's name ----- ----- etc. in any manner without permission". Could that be a reason - degrading or detrimental?

Ron [uK]

Hi All,

Should we all be happy too, if someone takes our images or shows and uses them without our ok? So long as they give us credit, do they need to pay us for the image? We should be happy that we are getting the recognition for the image, and perhaps someone one day might buy an image or hire us to photograph for them. This may not bother us amatures but ask our professional buddies in this forum. People like MCPS are ther to protect the people they represent, and alas, we shall have to live with that.

I like Maureens idea of a seccond supercircut, if it's done right, it could be part of an A/V weekend where people meet and share ideas. Time to get the thinking caps on :D

Alan

It would be flattering if someone copied our image and then credited us but how would we feel if he/she used our image put a filter on it, left part of it out, turned it into black and white and then credited it as "our picture"?

Reason the licence states that we should not credit music is so we are able to edit our soundtracks legally without offending the original author, orchestra, record producer,etc when we shorten it, make parts quieter, add echo ...whatever ! The original composer may be dead but the record producer, performers, musicians etc still need work !

Think I prefer to have my own work exhibited under my own name rather than being lifted and reused. Several years down the line we could see chunks of old AVs being rehashed by others and re"marketed" .................

This may not bother us amatures but ask our professional buddies in this forum.

Alan, if you take money for your services you are classed as a professional or businessman.

when Photos by Ken was still in business, I had to collect taxes, pay them to the government and file income tax forms for pbyk as well as from my regular job -- pbyk was not a great money maker -any money generated went to more equipment - it was a hobby business.

There is nobody on this forum whose show was shown to a group unknown to the owner/author, who would not accept positive remarks from the viewers.

It is too bad that "the law" has to stick their nose into someone's pleasure.

Over here the health dept's are starting to investigate church suppers for improper food preparation etc -- not that i go to church suppers but it is the principle <_<

the "tree huggers" will soon have their way and we will need permits to keep on living B)

ken

Hi Ken,

now I know what your email name means :D . I agree with what you say, here in the EU we have rules about the shape of our bannanas :o:huh:

The law may be an ass, but it holds the keys to the jail :lol:

I will grab any opertunity to show my work, such as it is, but you can't help worry about the little guy with the clip board hiding in the lasy row :( . Now if they chased the spamers with the same vigour,..... <_<

Alan