WnSoft Forums

Next generation Macs will use a 5 nm Arm 12 core processor

tom95521

I hope the Mac APIs will make it easy to recompile PTE code for an Apple Mac with an Arm processor. Maybe someday iOS and MacOS will be merged into a single OS.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/apple-aims-to-sell-macs-with-its-own-chips-starting-in-2021

I have been wondering if I should get a Mac or a AMD Ryzen 4000 APU Windows laptop to replace my old Lenovo Intel laptop.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

It seems that Apple may start from Macbook 12". The most likely, Macs with ARM CPU will not be compatible with existing apps for Intel CPU, or performance will be very poor. So we users may need to wait when all software vendors will update theirs apps. 

It may take additional 6-8 months to adapt Mac version of PTE for ARM CPUs. Technically our code will be almost same, just we have to wait when the compiler of a code (Freepascal) will be updated for Mac/ARM. They already work with Android/ARM, Linux/ARM, but it may requires some adaption for Mac/ARM. Also we have to wait adaption of video decoders/encoders for ARM version.

Anyway, I'll buy Mac with ARM for testing to start the work as soon as possible.

Using a programming language like Pascal/C++/.. it must be harder for you to compile for different operating systems compared to something like Unreal or Unity.  I'm sure your team is up to the task.

I'm still thinking about an AMD 4000 or 5000 series laptop with onboard Nvidia graphics. This laptop looks interesting but it doesn't have a webcam.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3534771/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-the-first-ryzen-4000-laptop.html

Thanks,
Tom