WnSoft Forums

Slide-shows as video on PocketPC

Igor

Maybe this info can be useful.

Today I've experimented with PocketPC on Windows Mobile 2003. It can smoothly play 320x240 video with 30 frames per second.

1) I've choosed "DVD-Video disc" option then clicked "Create custom AVI file" and modified size to 320 for width and 240 for height and 30 frames.

2) "Create AVI" button.

3) There is Movie Maker program in Windows XP (or Windows Me, too) . It allows to import AVI file and then add it to the project. Then "Save video" button.

4) And in 10 seconds I've received 530 Kb of .wmv video file. It contains my "Per aspera ad astra" slide-show (1-minute, 320x240, 15 frames, Medium quality of video compression). It played fine on PocketPC (especially in landscape layout). 1 minute video 320x240 with 30 frames and high quality will take 1,5 Mb.

So it's a very quickly and simple to make and play slide-shows on PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003 (and maybe on previous PocketPC 2002).

30 frames give smooth playback of transition effects.

By the way, virtual AVI video output in PicturesToExe allows to produce video with any size and FPS. For any future video formats.

It should be possible, too. But difficult. I don't know about all PDAs with PalmOS 5, but many devices can play MPEG-4 video (at least, you will need to install player if there was no such support). Windows can't encode MPEG-4 video file, so there are two ways: 1) Find some MPEG-4 codec and encode .avi file packed in MPEG-4 right in PicturesToExe 2) or use some powerful video editor who can encode MPEG-4.