WnSoft Forums

Access Violation

paulnewsom

When I open one of the saved executable slideshow files on my hard drive a dialogue box appears with the following message:

"Exception EAccessViolation in module SHW95DLL.DLL at 00002ED8."

"Access violation at address 10002ED8 in module SHW95DLL.DLL. Read of address 00120096."

The slideshow will start but if I click OK on the box it stops the show and closes the exe file.

Does anyone have any ideas on what causes it and how I can prevent it?

Paul Newsom

Hi, paul,

What operating system are you using? It sounds like the problem is with a faulty OS on your pc that PTE is getting tangled up with. Not a problem with PTE, but you may have to fix something in your OS. The dll sounds like something left over from Windows 95, or are you still using Win 95? The name "shw95dll.dll" doesn't sound like a valid driver name. You could try temporarily changing its name to shw95dll.old to see what happens. It should be located in the Windows / System directory if you are using Win95. If not, do a search for it.

You could try moving the PTE show to a different drive or different folder. Does it have a very long file name?

Sorry I can't help any further with this without more info. Good luck!

Hi Al,

Looks as if you are on the right track there concerning '95dll - but if past experience is

anything to go by - its looks as if its 'Out of Memory'.

If indeed it is a '95 System, it would be a very rare '95 with more than 64mB of Memory

and taking about 20mB for the 'Op'System' there is precious little left to run PTE ?

Just a thought.......

Brian.Conflow.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think it is a system error. This has happened on more than one occassion. After leaving my pc overnight the problem has not occurred again.

I am running windows XP home on a 2.6gh P4 machine with 512mb ram.

I have the slideshow posted on my website and the same thing happened yesterday but it now runs OK.

I have a site with limited webspace but I have posted 3 slideshows. Two are from classic car shows, one from the Nene Valley stem railway. I have plenty more onFrance, Egypt, Autumn tones etc and will rotate them on the site. My little efforts are at

Snapshots

Once again, thanks everyone

Paul Newsom

Found this:

"Well, it turns out that the problem that caused the nVidia driver install to puke was a stupid Kinston Mouse driver (shw95dll.dll) that I wasn't using anymore!

Once I tracked down that file and killed it, the nVidia drivers installed just fine."