WnSoft Forums

General protection fault using V4.31

arterial

After a bit of a lay off I am trying to get back into PTE. I have a big project on which will be made much easier with the new lightbox facility in PTE but I can not get v4.31 to run.

I have run v4.14 with out problem but having upgraded to v4.31 the programme crashes with the error message "APR caused a general protection fault in module V128IID.DRV at 002:00009492". I am running the programme under W98SE on a Dell Dimension XPS R450. I have made sure the audio and video drivers are the most current versions but to no avail. I can still run v4.14 OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :(

Thanks in anticipation

Arterial

I just sent you test file, please let me know about result.

We've received one more two similar reports since August. Probably some rare configurations under Windows 98 can't correctly work with simultaneous threads (loading of pictures of previews) of the new interface in v4.30

'98 Crashes with PTE431

Igor,

This may be of some help to the New Member. We had the same problem with 2 of our '98 PC here in our Workshop. Sometimes both PC's "Froze" and sometimes the "General Protection Fault"was involked.

In both cases we traced the 'fault' to the Win '98 Op.System. Win '98 does not like 2 Copies of the same Program on the PC, ie:- An "old" version and a "new" version on the PC 'Start Menu'.

Probably

1) The Member is opening and using the "new" PTE 431 version - Registered on the Start Menu.

2) The Member also has the "Old" version PTE 414 (NOT IN USE) but Registered on the Start Menu

3) Nearly all versions of Win '98 will "fault" sometime under these conditions.

In our cases we created 2 Folders for PTE,viz:- PTE-414 and PTE-431 - Then we removed the "old" PTE-414 version from the Start Menu. This solved our problem.

To do this:- RH.Clk on the bottom Screen Toolbar-->select 'Properties'-->select 'Start Menu'-->select 'Remove'. In the open window search for the "old" verson of PTE and remove it.

Sometimes its not 'Listed' there, in this case the "new" version has probably been installed in the "old" Program Folder - best thing is to remove it and re-name the "old" Folder then re-install the "new" version in a New Folder as described above...... Win '98 now see's 2 different Programs.

This is a 'shot in the dark' but in our cases it was the problem. It's nothing to do with PTE rather its a case of "Fooling '98" - and as we all know Win '98 always kicks for touchdown.

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.