WnSoft Forums

PTE deleting original file... [SOLVED]

Almark

I saw this in one of my groups.

“Here's a warning to anybody who likes to do voiceover editing in PTE , splitting the audio to lengthen or close up gaps, etc. To tidy up the timeline after editing, it's tempting to use the option to export the edited soundtrack to a file. If you do this, NEVER use the same filename as the clip that's open in PTE, thinking it will simply overwrite the file as would happen if you'd done the editing in Audacity and were saving it from there. Trying to save the file with the same name, PTE first deletes the original file from your computer without warning, leaving an error message on the timeline and no way of retrieving it. Not only do you lose the edits, you lose the original file as well. Learn from my mistake!”

TBH I haven't a clue what this about as I have attempted it. 

Any ideas?

Mark,

It's difficult to understand exactly what happened in that case.

A command Export Soundtrack to File warns if a file exists for the same file name.

Replacing existing audio file which is currently used and open in a project using Export Soundtrack to File may lead to unexpected behaviour of PTE AV Studio. I recommend to choose a new file name and then replace existing audio file in PTE editor if necessary.

• Igor changed the title to PTE deleting original file... [SOLVED]