WnSoft Forums

Objects & Synchronization

jimlarkey

Just completed 133MB show that consists of 287 jpegs, using 9 exes. To minimize the boredom in that extensive of a show I utilize several sub-shows that the user can choose not to watch, or watch at a later date. I have tried to make use of a menu at the end of each sub-show that allows the user to exit or return to the main menu.

Wonder why PTE does not allow objects in the last slide of a show when synchronization is enabled? When synch is enabled, the objects become graphical images on the slide without any intelligence behind them. For example, pressing a button does not exit the program.

I got around this by disabling synch and go to "display each slide for..." but of course this will mess up the timing on various machines.

Have other users encountered this, or am I missing something? Seems that it would be useful for PTE to allow objects on the last slide.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim:

:) Neat idea to put choices throughout the show !!!! I never thought of that.

But I will have to wait for the answer to your OBJECTS question before I try it.

Thanks for finding the problem ;) for me !!!

Now who will find the solution ?

Jim

Jim

You are experiencing the normal problem when using the SYNC feature and accessing objects. Currently PTE does not allow any interaction from the user with any mouse actions that would otherwise interfere with the shows SYNC timing.

Maybe oneday a suitable possibility\alternative will enable both as PTE progresses with time.

Surely A show represent the creators feelings and should not be interrupted! Lets say we stop "JAWS" just at the interesting bit? Point 1 whose interesting bit? Point 2.......so many people are so concerned about their photos being ripped off and as I have I said before its not the photos its the idea that counts.

Mike

Mersea Island

Basically, I'm on your side, Mike. I agree with trying to preserve the integrity of one's art and that timing is important for the proper impact, etc.

However, I also appreciate the desires of some to have more control during the show itself (after all, not everyone is using PTE for the same purposes).

Someone a few days ago wanted to deny the user the ability to move objects in the final production. I feel that the more control, even in the final production, the better. Something like basic freedoms, I guess.

Also, quite often during a movie on one of those no-commercial channels on TV I have wished for at least an intermission, but better still, a way to "pause" the show, so I could answer the call of nature, the phone, doorbell, etc. (The former seems to be happening more and more often these days. And I'm not even as old as the Guru! :):(;) )

Ciao,

Al

Thank you for taking the time to confirm what I thought I was experiencing with PTE and for the advice. Nobeefstu has confirmed that when synch is enabled, objects are not permitted...even on the last slide.

I can understand the logic why PTE does not permit interference of mouse during synch show, but I would find it useful if only on the *last* slide, objects would be permitted. Seems that this would be a logical point to permit looping. Looping to the main menu, to other show segments, or allowing the user to exit.

Using objects on the first and last slide of a sub-show works great to enhance the flexibilty of the PTE program, with synch disabled. Since synching is a great PTE feature, it would be nice if synching could be extended to subroutines with objects on the first and *last* slide of a sub-show, or what I refer to as a subroutine.

Thanks again for taking the time and offering assistance. Really appreciate the wisdom of the posters in this forum.

Cheers,

Jim

I'm with Jim on this one as I've had exactly the same issue.

On a fully synched show, you still have the option of "keep last slide on screen". It should be possible to keep each slide in the sequence perfectly synchronised with the music as usual, and then have action buttons on the last slide. This wouldn't spoil the synch by allowing users to jump out of a show part-way through, but still have all the functionality of using buttons on the "keep last slide on screen" final image.

Ian

I think that we will able to make possible usage of objects in the synch. mode in the nearest next versions. I also very want to see this capability.

p.s. don't worry, please, that synchronization can be corrupted. Because PicturesToExe synchronizes show of slides, following by the position of the music player. E.g. if third slide should be shown at 47645 ms. and player reported that current position of playing is 47645 ms. then the slide will be shown immediately.

In the meantime, while awaiting Igor's improvements, here is a suggestion. It's not as flexible as Jim's desired set-up, but I've used it successfully: I use a very short (typically 5 or 6 slides) introductory show that is not sync'd and which ends in the main menu slide. That show is set for "Keep last slide on screen". That last menu slide has buttons that launch all the other sub shows, as well as the exit button. The sub shows, which are usually sync'd in my case, are set for "Close show after last slide". This automatically returns the viewer to the main menu slide, where he/she can choose to run one of the other sub shows or exit.

Again, not as elegant as what Jim was trying to do, but I've gotten good feedback from viewers.

pete

I too await Igor's addition of objects on the last slide on synched shows. Pete, I do use your method to launch some of the 9 exes that comprise the show. The problem comes in when I want to present a choices menu at the end of an exe, launched from the main menu. For eample, I give the user a choice to loop back to the main menu, exit the program, or launch a sub-menu that presents the user with resource information that relates to the show they just watched.

I think Igor understands the power of modularizing and the aethetics of synching. Need to get the two to work together....next update?

Cheers,

Jim