WnSoft Forums

Crashes and other problems with PTE V11 RC3 on Apple silicon

willemx

I am experiencing lots of problems with the Apple silicon version of PTE version 11 RC3.

Crashes happen at various moments: when dragging an image into the timeline, when double-clicking an image, when clicking the preview button. These crashes do not happen always; I have not been able to consequently reproduce a crash. However, they happen very often, like 20 times in half an hour. Sometimes I can then restart PTE without a problem, but sometimes I must first use the "Force quit" option to kill a crashed PTE instance.

I am using PTE on a MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GB RAM, OS: Ventura 13.1

Apart from these crashes, there are some other problems with this version:

Some .HEIC images do not display correctly in PTE (they are ok when viewed with other apps). It looks as if a colour channel is missing when viewed inside PTE. Most .HEIC images render ok however; it's about one in ten that have a problem. I have attached an image that will not display correctly in PTE.

.MTS videos can only be played from the very beginning, if I move the cursor along the timeline, the video starts to stutter and will not sync until I place the cursor at the start again.

Is there anything that I can do to help to resolve these problems?

Edit: I added a crash report

Crash happened when clicking Preview button in Objects and animations screen.

IMG_1520.heic

crashreport.txt

Hi,

Did you have these problems with crashes with previous stable version 10.5 on your Mac with Apple Silicon?

If you didn't use v10.5, please download and install it from WnSoft website.

Also can you try to work with a project which doesn't include any HEIC images, or MTS videos (only JPEG/PNG/TIFF or MP4 video in H.264 or HEVC format). Will crashes occur now?

We didn't observe any crashes of V11 Beta on our Mac Mini with M1 chip last several months.

2. I confirm the problem your HEIC image. We'll check the code. Thanks.

3. Can you send us a sample .mts video file? Upload to WeTransfer.com or Google Drive.

I remember that .mts is a raw transport video stream and more heavy for a playback in realtime. If this video in 4K@60p format, it may cause this problem. We optmized playback for H.264 and HEVC video formats.

I have been using the PTE 11 native ARM Mac 11 betas for many weeks and do not have problems with crashing. I do not use an iphone but my Pixel 6A H.264 and H.265 videos are compatible with PTE on my Mac (and Windows).

Tom
Ventura 13.1
Mac mini M1
16 GB RAM

• Like 1

20 hours ago, willemx said:

Some .HEIC images do not display correctly in PTE (they are ok when viewed with other apps). It looks as if a colour channel is missing when viewed inside PTE. Most .HEIC images render ok however; it's about one in ten that have a problem. I have attached an image that will not display correctly in PTE.

We fixed the problem with some HEIC images. Download the new Mac version:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/PTE11A/PTE-AV-Studio.dmg

I tried this new version and I can confirm that the .HEIC image now renders correctly. Thanks!

I have also downloaded version 10.5 and this version works fine on my system. I did not have a single crash.

With PTE V11 RC3 (4?) I have noticed one more problem: if I run PTE in fullscreen mode, I cannot drag items anymore. I cannot drag images into the timeline or move images along the timeline. As soon as I start to drag, the PTE window completely disappears from the screen and I am left with my draggable item over a clean desktop. If I switch to partial screen mode, dragging is working fine.

57 minutes ago, willemx said:

I tried this new version and I can confirm that the .HEIC image now renders correctly. Thanks!

Thanks for the confirmation.

I have also downloaded version 10.5 and this version works fine on my system. I did not have a single crash.

Can you check again the latest version (which has HEIC fix) for crashes?

If the problem will occur again, can you send us a project where this crash occurs? If it possible, use a command "Create backup in a ZIP" from the main menu > File menu. Max file size is 4 GB.

With PTE V11 RC3 (4?) I have noticed one more problem: if I run PTE in fullscreen mode, I cannot drag items anymore. I cannot drag images into the timeline or move images along the timeline. As soon as I start to drag, the PTE window completely disappears from the screen and I am left with my draggable item over a clean desktop. If I switch to partial screen mode, dragging is working fine.

Thanks, I see this strange behaviour. It also doesn't work in previous v10.5. We need some time to add compatibility of drag'n'drop function with a fullscreen mode. Not sure how much time it may take, sorry.

After some more testing I think the crashing is also caused by PTE's inability to handle fullscreen mode. I can now easily reproduce a crash (using latest PTE V11 RC):

Create new project in partial screen mode, add an image to the thumbnail timeline (any image will do), enter fullscreen mode, double click the image => crash

crashreport.txt

9 minutes ago, willemx said:

After some more testing I think the crashing is also caused by PTE's inability to handle fullscreen mode. I can now easily reproduce a crash (using latest PTE V11 RC):

Create new project in partial screen mode, add an image to the thumbnail timeline (any image will do), enter fullscreen mode, double click the image => crash

Thanks, we'll check tomorrow on our Mac with Apple Silicon. On Intel Mac it works correctly.

Normally after double click you expect to see the Slide Options window?

Will it crash if you click to an image (to select it) and then click the Slide Options window?

Do you use a touchpad or MagicMouse?

I guess that it also should crash in version 10.5 in a fullscreen mode? Can you check?

I am not experiencing a crash when I do the test above. When I double click it opens the slide option window.

Sometimes (seldom) I have a problem where a PTE window is on another virtual desktop but I can fix this by moving to the desktop and closing the window.

Tom

12 hours ago, willemx said:

I checked with version 10.5 and it also crashes. You don't need to add an image to the timeline, just selecting an image from the file list in fullscreen mode and double clicking it in the preview window will cause PTE to crash.

I'm using the touchpad of the MacBook.

Can you record a video from your Macbook screen using a smartphone camera?

P.S. Rosy, I moved your posts into a new topic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, willemx said:

Hi,

Try a new version 11.0.1 Build 4 on your Mac. I think that we fixed this problem with drag'n'drop in the fullscreen mode:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/PTE-AV-Studio.dmg

On 12/26/2022 at 6:32 PM, willemx said:

.MTS videos can only be played from the very beginning, if I move the cursor along the timeline, the video starts to stutter and will not sync until I place the cursor at the start again.

This problem is also fixed now.