WnSoft Forums

PNG support in PTE

Igor

Igor:

I was the one (or one of the ones) who asked for png file type. As I wanted to use them as OBJECTS.

So what you are saying sounds good !!

Thx

Files in this format have not crossed my path before so I looked up*.png on the internet.

I have experimented with an image by saving it in *.png both normal and interlaced not knowing what they meant but found that the file size of the latter was the same as if I had saved it in *.jpg namely 2.25 Mb for a 1024x768 image. Saving it to the Web one can reduce the size to just under 400K.

So will we be using *.png as a preferred choice in future? I see no problem in that. I assume from what I have read that the image quality will be better but what will be the other advantages please? I look to my friends to come to my assistance.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron

You're absolutely right about the filesizes - png files are much larger than jpgs, and don't offer any increase in visible quality. The one benefit is that they can have a transparant alpha channel. So if you have an object on a transparant background, you would see the shape of the object instead of the rectangle that a jpg would give.

This means that any shape of button could be used for example, or maybe in an airshow sequence you could make a plane zoom in and then fly out of a scene.

Jpgs are still the way to go, with the opportunuity of using the occasional png for a special effect.

Ian

Hello Ian

Thanks for that explanation and also your contribution in the other ongoing thread on resolution. As regards the latter I have always gone along with what I learnt both from you and Gerard Desroches, and appreciate your input.

Ron [uK]

Igor - another question?

you said above:

Not a problem.

It will possible to Pan/Zoom/Rotate partially semi-transparent PNG image (main picture of a slide) across static background of a slide.

Would it also be possible for you to amend the options for "background" so that an image background could be set to "fill screen" as well as "tiled". This would be a very useful addition!

Many thanks

Ian

Ok, it shouldn't be difficult. I agree with you, that it was necessary to add it for a long time ago.

I also agree that JPEG is the best choice for almost all photographies and PNG for special effects with partial semi-transparency.

Guest Techman1

Igor,

I'm looking forward to this also. How is the development coming along on this new release of PTE? Are we still looking to see something in beta in the next several weeks?

Thanks again for all you and your team do!

Fred