WnSoft Forums

Move Audio Clips (not tracks)

Greetings,

I made this suggestion back in 7/31/2018. I'm in a new project now that really needs this capability.

I'd like to have a menu item that gives the ability to move an audio clip up or down in the Audio Tracks. You can move entire Tracks up or down but not specific audio clips. This would be helpful when you have, for example, two audio clips with a crossfade. Moving them by hand is hard to keep the precise placement. Or manually moving any audio clips by hand can mess up the alignment. If there is already a way, please let me know.  (How about an Alt+up arrow ?

image.thumb.png.92863abf475c4b4af4a17f754f3c6042.png

Gary

• Like 1

I would like to second your suggestion!

Somewhat cumbersome "solutions":
- If your audio clip has been linked to some slide, you can move it up or down in the Audio section of the Project Options
Or:
- In the Timeline view, you can highlight a clip. Then highlight its start time in the time box (on the left) and choose "Copy" (or Ctrl + C). Then move the clip to some other track. Then highlight the start time again and choose "Paste" (or Ctrl + V).

Greetings JT...

I had not noticed that you could do that in the Audio section of the Project Options.

Thanks...it will help but a bit cumbersome, as you said. Would be nice to be able to just move them up/down in the Tracks.

Gary

image.thumb.png.e70383cd06b255bbdcb0e3bf50c500c6.png

you can easily do it in the Audio Tab .

Link the Clip to a Slide, then double click the clip to open up Audio tab.

Click the clip & drag it to a different track, then unlink from the slide.

If there are already clips on that track then make sure you position it after the appropriate clip.

I do this often when I am extracting audio from video and I want to keep them all on one track.

Jill

PS Gary you have a lot of tracks with not much on them, the clips could easily be moved onto the same track.
I have very rarely found I need more than 4 or 5 tracks.

1 for voice, 1 for sound effects, 1 or maybe 2 for music, and then 1 if I have extracted audio from video clips.

And I have some complex audio mixes

1 hour ago, jkb said:

you can easily do it in the Audio Tab ...

This is one of the solutions that have been mentioned above, and you may accept that Gary and I regard it (to some extent) as cumbersome.

Greetings JT,

I like the ability to click on the audio clip and it opens the Audio tab. I gave it a try. However, there is something that can cause great problems. I did link the audio clips to the slides. Some moved correctly. But sometimes another audio clip that had nothing to do with the clip I was trying to move got moved incorrectly. Very dangerous. Don't like it. You have to be very watchful that it did not disturb the placement of other audio clips. Not sure what is going on but it is beyond cumbersome in some situations.

One thing I noticed that I think all the clips on the track you are dealing with must be linked to a slide or the other clips get moved from where they were positioned.

Also, after linking all the clips on Track 4, I moved an audio clip from track 4 to Track 3. The audio clip that I just moved to track 4 became muted. Duno.... Nice idea but too dangerous to use. Hope Igor has a better plan.

Gary

I suppose it depends how you work, I have never found it a problem.

But then as I said above I have very few tracks & the sound is mostly continuous on a track with overlaps.
If I do have gaps between clips then the next clip is always linked to a Slide so won't move if a clip is added or moved.

But I do agree that to be able to move a clip to another track directly in the Timeline would be good.
I thought that holding down Shift while dragging was supposed to keep the same time position but I have never managed to get it to work.

Jill

Well, I just noticed that trying out that method really screwed up the placement of my audio clips. I thought I had saved the file...but I must have not Ctrl-Z'd enough.

But...I figured out the 'Shift' method jkb just mentioned. First, click on the audio clip you want to move. The click and release the Shift key. Then you can move the audio clip with your mouse.

Kinda crazy. Still it has the potential problems with manual moving the clip and losing the exact placement. If Igor could just make it move with the arrow keys...super.

Gary

• Like 1