WnSoft Forums

Problems finding downloaded P2E.exe files

dbolt

I'm new to P2E and may not have yet looked in the proper help files or on the right forum to find a solution, so I'm asking directly.

I have created an autorun CD that allows users to select from one of several p2e.exe slide shows by clicking on a http link. Once the exe files is downloaded and the user clicks on the exe file, the shows display fine. However, some browsers do not automatically display the download the exe file forcing the user to browse for it in their default download folder.

How can I configure P2E so the exe file on a CD will run, either directly from the CD or at least run without the user having to locate and click on the downloaded file in the default download folder on his/her PC? Some folks don't know the name of their PCs default download folder and therefore can not find the downloaded exe file.

doug bolt

Your action on mouse click should be (Run application or open file......)

Then you need to point to the file name. Example here is "Baby-face_party_2.exe"

after you have the slideshow picked. You will need to take out the drive letter.

It might look something like this. "D:/Baby-face_party_2.exe"

It will work on your computer like this. But not all computer will have the CD as

the same drive letter. But, if you take the drive letter out it should work.

In my example here I made a picture be the link to the slideshow.

if you place a picture with the object editor You can right click on the picture

and go to properties to get this screen.

post-9-1131107998_thumb.jpg

Auto-Installer

Douglas,

There is a simple way of doing what you want. Find yourself an "Auto-Installer" Program and get it to "wrap"your Exe Files (singly or multiples) and download that to your Clients.

Most "Auto-Installers" request that you specify the precise Folder that you wish to Install into, examples:- My Documents, My Programs, My Desktop etc,etc. It will find the Folder and do precisely that.

They also offer an 'anti-fiddle' key which prevents the System (recepient) from downloading to another Folder. However once downloaded you can manually move the PTE.Files to any location of choice.

You could try www.snapfiles.com and others for a suitable product.

Brian.Conflow.

Doug:

Further to comments already offered, so long as the .exe files are in the root of the CD, I would expect it to be found.

Many of us use a "launch" show (a single image show with the other shows being linked via an OBJECT - button or picture) The "Launch show" sould be the auto started .exe file and then your viewer simply clicks on whichever OBJECT to start the desired show.

I have never had a problem using this technique.

(YET that is...... :):) )

Thanks for your help.

Your action on mouse click should be (Run application or open file......)

I don't find this setting under Advanced Mouse Buttons. Where is this setting?

Then you need to point to the file name. Example here is "Baby-face_party_2.exe"

after you have the slideshow picked. You will need to take out the drive letter.

It might look something like this. "D:/Baby-face_party_2.exe"

I have the link on the CD set: <A HREF="./GalapagosBirds.exe"Galapagos Birds</A><BR>

Doug

Which browsers, Doug?

I use Firefox as default browser, but I've also tested with IE. Upon reflection, I suspect some of the issues are related to my firewall - Trend Micro's PCCillin.

Thanks.

doug

Auto-Installer

Douglas,

There is a simple way of doing what you want. Find yourself an "Auto-Installer" Program and get it to "wrap"your Exe Files (singly or multiples) and download that to your Clients.

Most "Auto-Installers" request that you specify the precise Folder that you wish to Install into, examples:- My Documents, My Programs, My Desktop etc,etc. It will find the Folder and do precisely that.

They also offer an 'anti-fiddle' key which prevents the System (recepient) from downloading to another Folder. However once downloaded you can manually move the PTE.Files to any location of choice.

You could try www.snapfiles.com and others for a suitable product.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded SetupStream, but have not yet tested the program. The program blurb sounds like this should do the trick. I can set it so the P2E exe file downloads to the Desktop. Folks should be able to find it there.

doug

Doug:

Further to comments already offered, so long as the .exe files are in the root of the CD, I would expect it to be found.

Many of us use a "launch" show (a single image show with the other shows being linked via an OBJECT - button or picture) The "Launch show" sould be the auto started .exe file and then your viewer simply clicks on whichever OBJECT to start the desired show.

I have never had a problem using this technique.

(YET that is...... :):) )

Thanks!

The problem is not that the HTML has trouble finding the P2E exe file, it's the user that sometimes does not know where to look for the downloaded exe file.

The Launch Show approach sounds like what I'm looking for, but I've not looked at that option. I just clicked on Option Editor, but nothing there seems helpful at first glance. I need to do some more tinkering before I understand how to Object to launch.

doug

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded SetupStream, but have not yet tested the program. The program blurb sounds like this should do the trick. I can set it so the P2E exe file downloads to the Desktop. Folks should be able to find it there.

doug

Thanks!

The problem is not that the HTML has trouble finding the P2E exe file, it's the user that sometimes does not know where to look for the downloaded exe file.

The Launch Show approach sounds like what I'm looking for, but I've not looked at that option. I just clicked on Option Editor, but nothing there seems helpful at first glance. I need to do some more tinkering before I understand how to Object to launch.

doug

Hi Doug,

Yes 'SetupStream' is a good Auto-Installer, I personally use 'InstallStation' ~

Over the past 7 years (way before I joined the Forum) I have been using an Auto-Installer to install everything bar the Kitchen Sink ~ never had a failure on my PC side of things. However if someone is using a 'Firewall' it will block the auto-install until they allow permission through the "Administrator Settings' ~ its a common complaint from recipients, but they should know how to tackle that anyhow.

1) You can also 'Zip Up' the SetupStream Package and send that over the Net with some degree of security.

2) You can also 'park' the SetupStream Package on a CD and make an 'Auto-Run' File of it whereafter it 'Auto-Runs' the CD and then 'Auto-Installs' PTE on the PC. It cuts out all the messing around with CD's.

Best of luck with the Program.

Brian.Conflow.

I always try to make my cd's at a 'dummy' level. Try to make it as easy as possible even to someone who doesn't know much about computers.

I tried SetupStream for my last project. I also tried Ez-Wiz. Both programs are freeware. I liked Ez-Wiz because it has more layout possibilities and shows a checkbox at the end of the install to give someone the choice to start the show immediately. So there is no need to search for it.

But... Ez-Wiz takes a long time to startup. That's why I finally chose SetupStream. If someone clicks on a link to start the setup and it takes for about 20 seconds before anything happens, they think nothing is going to happen at all!

SetupStream does a good job.

I always try to make my cd's at a 'dummy' level. Try to make it as easy as possible even to someone who doesn't know much about computers.

I tried SetupStream for my last project. I also tried Ez-Wiz. Both programs are freeware. I liked Ez-Wiz because it has more layout possibilities and shows a checkbox at the end of the install to give someone the choice to start the show immediately. So there is no need to search for it.

But... Ez-Wiz takes a long time to startup. That's why I finally chose SetupStream. If someone clicks on a link to start the setup and it takes for about 20 seconds before anything happens, they think nothing is going to happen at all!

SetupStream does a good job.

Marianne,

Thanks for the info. I was surprised that some of the programs that were similar to SetupStream cost big bucks. Generally, that suggests the free versions are disappointing. I hope that is not the case with SetupStream.

doug

doug

Doug:

Look in the forum here for brief description of the LAUNCH approach. (See my posting of April 25)

You can e-mail me if decide to pursue it and need more info

Thanks for the info. I was surprised that some of the programs that were similar to SetupStream cost big bucks. Generally, that suggests the free versions are disappointing. I hope that is not the case with SetupStream.

doug

I tried some demo's of paid programs, but when you aren't very experienced in programming, the possibilities are overwhelming. Most of the time you only need a few options. At least, if you only have to make an installer for a slideshow. Making an installer for something which interferes with the registry needs totally other options.

Just try the different programs. Cost you some time, but in this case (freeware) no money!

I tried some demo's of paid programs, but when you aren't very experienced in programming, the possibilities are overwhelming. Most of the time you only need a few options. At least, if you only have to make an installer for a slideshow. Making an installer for something which interferes with the registry needs totally other options.

Just try the different programs. Cost you some time, but in this case (freeware) no money!

Marianne,

Which freeware install programs would you suggest I try?

doug

I tried several, but some where to complicated to me because they worked with code, others didn't give enough options. But I ended up with two installers: Es-Wiz and SetupStream.

Es-Wiz is great. Gives you the option to change the background of the installscreen. Gives you also the option to create a checkbox which allows the user to start the program (show) inmediately after the setup.

But..... Es-Wiz is a slow starter. It took up to 20 seconds to show the setupscreen. If that is not a problem, use Es-Wiz.

I finally decided to use SetupStream. There is no option to start the show and you can't change the background, but everything else you need is there. Starts up immediately after clicking the link and, being an impatient human, i appreciate that the most.

But, see for yourself which one serves you. The homepage of Es-Wiz has changed. Can't find it on that page anymore, but you can download it elsewhere on the net.

Here are the links:

SetupStream

Es-Wiz

Hi everybody,

I have tried a good few of these 'auto installers' including Setup Stream. I found some were good and some were bad. After some very good advice that I received from Cornflow, I ended up with a super installer made by the Click people. They offer a number of choices from basic to professional. I like the basic one because it is very simple to use and provides everything you need to install a PTE slide show. It is also FREE (if you accapt a simple bit of advertising) There are demo versions of the 'Professional' version too.

I reckon it is easier to use than all the others!

Visit their web site for more info: Click here: