WnSoft Forums

Aspect Ratios

CKAJCA

Can someone give me advice about how to handle multiple aspect ratio files. At the moment I have requests for slide shows to be made in which I am presented with A4 documents, negatives/positives, prints which have to be scanned. I am also provided with digital camera images. All of which have different aspect ratios. Some opinions would be appreciated on how to best handle the cropping of these files in order that I end up with happy customers !!!

Perhaps I am missing something in the question.

However, the answer depends on the means of getting the collected information to the customer.

If it is going to be viewed on a monitor, what is the resolution of the monitor? For instance my existing monitor is 1280x1024 so that is what I am currently cropping to. If you have a mixture of Lansdcape and Portrait formats then the Landscape material should be no more than 1280 wide and the Portrait material no more than 1024 high.

If the customer is going to use a projector, what is the resolution of the projector? Chances are it will be 1024x768, in which case these are the figures to work to. Also, if this is the case the computer/laptop should be set to the same res as the projector for best results.

If you don't have to fill the frame then you could use any aspect ratio which fits inside the monitor/projector resolution. However if all material has to fill the frame then your monitor/projector resolution will give you the aspect ratio you are looking for.

Hope that is what you were looking for?

DaveG

It sounds to me that this project needs the picture in picture technique so that you can standardise on 1024*768 and fit everything into that format no matter where it comes from.

However, you would need software like Elements or Photoshop

Barry

www.beckhamdigital.co.uk

Thanks for the replies. If I understand correctly it sounds as though the best route is to use Photoshop and crop landscapes to 1024 wide and portraits to 768 high and let the other dimensions take care of themselves OR use Photoshop to create a backgound onto which I would then place one or more images at whatever the aspect ratio happens to be. Is that correct?

"OR use Photoshop to create a backgound onto which I would then place one or more images at whatever the aspect ratio happens to be. Is that correct?"

- if you're mixing landscape and portrait format images, that's the best option as Barry says.