WnSoft Forums

Navigation Bar question...

goddi

Greetings,

I have downloaded my share of PTE shows off the Beechbrook site. I am wondering why most people do not choose to put in the Navigation Bar to allow the viewer to gain some control of the show. Sometimes I would like to pause to see a particular image or go back or forward to see one. I try to include it in my shows. Am I missing something here or is it just not a popular thing to do???

Thanks... Gary

Gary:

Personally I don't use it as I think it's appearance distracts from the images which is what you are trying to present.

If I want control of a show, I will do it via the mouse keys or the arrow keys which work without the graphic of the nav bar on the screen.

I rarely will tell people that I have set a (synched) show up for control unless I am there delivering it as I don't want the flow of the show interrupted. I will show a presentation without interrupting it and then for particular reasons, might re-show it pausing to talk about certain slides that people might want to talk about.

Even my manual shows don't have it for the same reasons of the appearance being distracting IMHO.

But there are people who use it so lets hear from them too

Gary

i use it all the time because i have never mastered key stroke protocol as well as spell check:)

and i always give the user control -i do not believe one should take control of someone elses system - but then my stuff is for personal use and not near the quality of most forum members -- many times i would love to stop a show to study the pictures being presented -- there are some pictures that need to be studied -- others are best not showing so move on

and i aways make a dvd and the navbar is no longer shown nor a concern

ken

Well, I didn't like setting the mouse keys because you only have 2 possibilities. So if you have the left for Previous and the right for Next, you don't have one for Pause. But you have just openned my eyes a bit when you mentioned the use of the keyboard. I just tried the Pause key and the arrow keys to control the images. Gee...you learn something everyday!!! :o But I do like to make the screen to be around 95% with the black boarder and the Navigation bar at the bottom. Just my thing. But now I will try the keyboard on other slideshows to see if it works there. Thanks... Gary

Hi Guys,

Yes,I agree ~ there are times when the 'Nav-Bar' is really needed, particularily when you wish to have 'Multi-Control' over the Slide Show.

Some time ago I suggested to Igor why not have the 'Nav-Bar' to automatically disappear ~ similar to the way you can select the Mouse Icon to disappear after 3 secs. It could be organised that when you move the Mouse it automatically re-appears.

The old "MGI Photosuite" Program had that facility ~ I still use the program just for that purpose alone !

Brian.conflow.

It is a question of horses for courses. As my sequences are invariably for projection for audience viewing, I do not like to see any distractions such as the Nav-Bar or Page Numbers. However, if I wish to pause etc. in a presentation, such as a selection of images submitted for a competition or say the output from a personal camera shoot or selection for a PTE Project, I use a template based on Brian (Conflow)'s "Manual Slide Show" initiated Sep 29 2004. Try Search - Manual Slide Show. There should be enough information in the thread to produce a template without bothering Brian.

Ron [uK]

I definitely agree with the "horses for courses" comment.

In my particular case I try to use PTE to give a real Cinematic effect, an atmosphere where the viewer has to sit there for 5 to 10 mins and just concentrate on the sound and images playing before his/her eyes.

Quite often a really strong ingredient of your show is the flow of synching sound to images and you just don't want the distraction of a nav bar to upset this. Its like you would never see a nav bar on screen if you went to the movies?

On the other hand if I was to make an instructional PTE presentation on how to master the Zone System (for example) I would definitely have a Nav Bar as the viewer needs to Pause to absorb information and understand new ideas etc.

If I want control of a show, I will do it via the mouse keys or the arrow keys which work without the graphic of the nav bar on the screen.

Yes - I'm with this one if I'm controlling the show that is a presentation rather than an "amusement".

If it's for someone else to run, I'll use the navigation bar but I wish I could put it exactly where I wanted on each slide.

Well, I didn't like setting the mouse keys because you only have 2 possibilities. So if you have the left for Previous and the right for Next, you don't have one for Pause. ....Thanks... Gary

Gary:

Don't forget you can use your mouse wheel to advance or reverse as well

I already wrote new Navigation bar for v5.00.

Currently without editor, but using .ini file (like .pte project file), you can create own Navigation bar with any form, buttons, textures, and partial semi-translucency, shadows.

Yiks!!!! Igor comes through again. Can't wait for V5.

Thanks, Gary

I do not to use the navigation bar because most of my presentations are synchronised to music and any manual operation of the slides will screw up my hard work and planning.

On the rare occasion when there is no music synchronisation and I have allowed manual control of a presentation I still haven’t used the navigation bar, I just think it looks kind of crude in its present form. Using the mouse/arrow keys is a much better option as far as I’m concerned.

I do not to use the navigation bar because most of my presentations are synchronised to music and any manual operation of the slides will screw up my hard work and planning.

Steve... Not to beat a dead horse...but when I make a show, I always make it synch'd to music (because I have not figured out how to use the timeline... :blink: ). But when I include the navbar, the music will stop when I pause or use the reverse or forward choices and the music will pick up where it should when I unpause it. I don't find that the navbar 'will screw up' the show. I wonder if I am doing something different from what you are doing. When you use the navbar, does it create a problem with the syn'd music?

Thanks... Gary

I wonder if I am doing something different from what you are doing.

Gary,

... probably not. It's just that I try to develop a presentation that flows with the music. Stopping and starting the music will break the rythmn and destroy the effects that I've built into my presentation.

This probably wouldn't be a problem with a collection of images that each stand on their own merit. I suppose that it all depends upon the style of presentation that you prefer.

Gary,

... probably not. It's just that I try to develop a presentation that flows with the music. Stopping and starting the music will break the rythmn and destroy the effects that I've built into my presentation.

This probably wouldn't be a problem with a collection of images that each stand on their own merit. I suppose that it all depends upon the style of presentation that you prefer.

Steve... I understand... and agree. Thanks.