WnSoft Forums

Timeline (again)

bharkins

For me, the main problem of PTE is setting up the Timeline and synching music. For instance, I am building a new project to present at our computer club. I have added music and then deleted music as part of the various configurations that I am experimenting. With the slides in place, if I run Preview I get an error message "Playlist is empty, please add musical files(s)" This implies that any slide show must have music, but that is not the case in first setting up a project.

Second, when I do set up a music track, which plays OK in the Timeline window by clicking Play, if I try to go to preview I get an error "You should disable personalized music of slides to activate synchronization of music". I think I need a translation of that message. All my music is "personal" - what is the disable the music mean?

Further, I would like to have an initial black slide which would stay for several seconds while an intro music track plays, ie to customize the first slide. I can set the timing of the first slide, but the Timeline pushes all the slides into the length of the music which makes a mess.

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb and I'm hoping some of the experts can help.

Bill

Hi, Bill,

I sympathize with you - it took me a long time to feel comfortable with the new timeline features and I still don't think I understand them all.

My first reaction is to suggest that you must be selecting the "synchronize" option, but have not set up the slideshow properly for that option. For instance, the message you are getting indicates that you have either added background music both in "project options" and also in "customize slide" for some slide. If not the latter, then some slide must have the option "play background music" checked but without any music actually added. This is a "no-no" in the "synchronize" option.

Re the black slide, if you make it your first slide in the slide list, it will always start at time "0". You can move the transitions around on the timeline, and change their duration, even if you had first selected the automatic synchronization option. Please let me know if I'm not understanding your problem. :)

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure that I understand the last comment you made, but are you aware that you can select a GROUP of slides (by clicking on the first and shift-clicking on the last in the Timeline) and synchronising the group to any section of the music required?

DaveG

Igor,

At present, as you know, there is one "little" incompatibility between synched shows and shows which rely only on the project option and customize slide settings for their times. (it may be little to some and more significant to others). This discrepancy is the fact that in non-synched shows, the transition time is "outside" (i.e. not included in) the slide duration time. So, if one prepares a non-synched show and adjusts all the times, etc., and then decides to make it a synched show, the timing is all wrong because in a synched show the duration time is the total time, duration plus transition.

In version 5 will this incompatibility be fixed, so that the slide duration time will always be the total time between two images, minus the time for the transition?

For v5.00 I've wrote unified system of times/synchronization.

At any moment, you can adjust time points on the timeline, or open "Customize slide" window and change time of a slide(s). You can use simultaneously both ways.

Now the value specied in "Customize slide" window means the exact time of show of a slide (including transition effect).

Bonjour Igor,

"For v5.00 I've wrote unified system of times/synchronization"

Is it because of pan/zoom/rotate you have been obliged to work on the time-line or to answer to the request of some people.

"In v5.00 I tried to make more friendly timeline. And timeline will be available for all modes of slide-show. Even without music."

In the actual version, in non-synchronised mode, on my PC, I am abble to have a new slide (1024x768) each 48 ms, in synchronised mode, with the same slideshow on the same PC, I can have the same new slide only each 100 ms. Another thing, today, If I put in non-synchronised mode a duration of 0 ms, the slide show stops on the slide, which is a good and very important function.

Will it be always the same for this 2 points ? Isn't it the end of non-synchronised mode ?

Is it because of pan/zoom/rotate you have been obliged to work on the time-line or to answer to the request of some people

Both reasons.

Will it be always the same for this 2 points ? Isn't it the end of non-synchronised mode ?

We'll try make it possible to use 0 ms. and small intervals as earlier.

Also as usually we're open for all responses and it's always not late to rework some important moments which we might skip.

Igor

Does this mean that a beta is due shortly so that we can all take alook and feedback our thoughts?

I open this forum each day hoping to see an anouncement but sadly none.

I realise you wish to fully complete your work, but have you any indication when we may see a beta - the waiting is so frustrating?

DEN (NE UK)

I put this in as a item on the forum without getting any answer so it seems this may be the place to make the suggestion ?

As the item suggests may be you have already changed this feature on the timeline in v5

Igor,

Greetings.

I have been doing the odd workshop (tutorial) on PTE. and find in discussion with audiences the following would be desirable.

I think one simple difference in the timeline would be to make the initial laying out of slides along the timeline evenly over the whole length of the music the default. I find that the default setting which lays out the slides at the specified interval and with the set transition much less useful than when they are laid out evenly along the timeline.

Also the menu item for selecting "auto adding of New Transition Points for new slides" seems to be illogical in the "View" menu ? Maybe better under "timed points" menu.

Of course you may have already changed all these items in v.5 .

Looking forward to the new version with great anticipation.

All the people I have had at workshops, and do not know the programme, are very very impressed by it !

Keep up the excellent work !

Regards to all your team.