WnSoft Forums

New topic: "The project has changed"

yguy

Hi everyone,

I still haven't solved my problems re. "Music synch. But in the meantime I have a suggestion.

When in the middle of a project and for one reason or another one has to close down. If you have forgotten to "save" you get the message "The project has been changed. Do you want to save it?"

Which is wonderful but it doestn't tell you the project or even more important the Program. So I suggest that "Picturestoexe" appears on the title bar.

yguy

Actually Project name is correct. Because that is what we are working on, and then we can save and/or change file names or project names within PTE. Its not a problem once you realise how it works. My latest show just need a change of names and project name, 2 shows 1 go

Mike

Mersea Island

Maybe in other parts of the world you use different terminology, and different conventions. I can only speak from what I'm used to, so please take this in consideration when you read my ideas on this. :rolleyes:

IMHO, (the H stands for "humble", not "honest" :) ), when I say "save", I am asking the pc to save a file. (It could care less what the project is. Unless, of course, it is saving a "workbook" or "project" under that name.)

However, with PTE, there is no "project" file (e.g. a ".prj" file, as there is in Visual Basic, or Visual C++, or Excel, etc., unless I'm missing something). There is just a file name (a ".pte" file).

Of course it's the latest representative of that project, but the file itself is just a .pte file, not a .prj file, and may be different from the name of the file under which that project was saved originally. So, it's important to know that, and which file it is, when you go to re-save your "project".

Igor,

I realize that I'm being revolutionary :rolleyes:, but actually, I'd go one step further than Al, and suggest getting rid of the whole idea of a "project name" completely, and just use the file name.

When we edit a Word file, we don't have a "project" within the file... we just have the file name. The only time it makes sense to me to have a "project" is when the project encompasses a number of files, the way it does in Visual Basic, for example.

As best as I can tell, the only use that PTE makes of the "project name" field is that it uses it as a default for the "caption name" on the Screen tab for non-full screen presentations. That could just be a regular field, and doesn't need to be associated with "project name".

Please don't get me wrong... I'd much rather have the ability to change transition times from the synch window than have you fiddle with this "project name" stuff. I can easily live with "project name" forever. I'm just reinforcing what Al said... but what I really want is the ability to change transition effects and times from the timeline window :).

BTW, a while ago, I pointed out that the "caption name" field is used even for full-screen presentations. If you switch away from a full-screen presentation by using Alt+Tab, you'll see that whatever is in that field appears at the bottom of the screen (near the Start button). Admittedly, now that we have preview from the middle, there is not much reason to switch away from a full-screen presentation, but I think that the "Window caption" field should be available for all presentations, full-screen or not.

Just my two cents.

Harold

Haroldb

Once again I second your comments :rolleyes:

The "project" nomenclature is confusing. (Aspects of this were discussed several weeks back on the forum.) But the ability to work with transtion types from the timeline is much more important a "fix".

Yes, Harold and Jim,

I agree with you 100% about the priorities here. (I only reiterated the previous request to Igor to do something about the confusion around Project Name because this thread started out with a complaint related to project name, and Igor agreed to fix it). I thought that while he was at it he could fix the ambiguity around "project" and "file" names. ;)

Glad we're on the same wave-length!

Igor:

So - can we either remove the "Project Name" setting (since it doesn't appear to provide any functionality that I can understand)?

Or - could we provide a setting that we could check off that would tell PTE to always change the project name to match the file name when we save the PTE file?

Dana