WnSoft Forums

New Project

Hi everyone,

I am about to create my first AV with running commentary throughout the presentation, It's for presenting to my camera club.

I was wondering if it's best to record the commentary in stages as It's based on a 5 day photography tour, and once I have all the files for the commentary then add the images to compliment the commentary.

If anyone has a better suggestion I would welcome any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

You can do it that way, as long as you know you will have images to match what you are saying.

Some people do work that way & have the complete soundtrack before they even take any pictures.
I never know what I am doing until I have done it & build up a sequence as I go along.

Different strokes for different folks.

Are you aware of the 'Record Voice' feature in PTE?
You may need to turn it on in Preferences.

This way you can add some slides & talk about them & PTE will record your commentary & attach it to that Slide.
I find this a good way of getting initial thoughts down to give me an idea of timing.
Depending on the quality of the microphone attached to your computer it may not be the best quality, but it at least gives you an idea.
It also then helps you perfect your script so that you are not repeating yourself.
You can then make a better recording afterwards & just add as a new track to get the spacing, then delete the original comments.

Hope this helps

Jill

While digital audio editing is easier than the analogue process, I would be doing the way you suggested. Working with smaller audio files makes the complete edit process easier IMHO.

For me it has to be short commentary takes, because as you put the presentation together, you need the flexibility to slide the audio along the time line to match up with the visuals.  

When recording short bits of commentary (a sentence or two), you’ll probably find that you’ll make less verbal mistakes. It’s also a lot easier to slot in a new bit of commentary when you realise you said something wrong, or you decide you can improve on what you originally recorded.  It happens all the time.

The down side is when you have a need to use noise suppression in your audio. Now it has to be run on all the seperate audio clips, rather than one complete audio file.

For creative freedom, it’s seperate short takes for me and I’ve made a few of these types of recordings.

• Like 1

I do still have a whole set of videos on the subject of adding commentary. They were recorded for PTE 8, but the principals are the same. Download them all below.

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/c4j23t5cdr0gm19/Adding_Commentary_in_PTE8.zip/file

The Videos are:

1. Introduction

2. The Script

3. Writing the Script

4. Microphones

5. Recording and applying commentary

6. Linking Audio Clips

7. Linking Audio Clips (Review)

8. Audacity

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jkb said:

Hi Brian,

You can do it that way, as long as you know you will have images to match what you are saying.

Some people do work that way & have the complete soundtrack before they even take any pictures.
I never know what I am doing until I have done it & build up a sequence as I go along.

Different strokes for different folks.

Are you aware of the 'Record Voice' feature in PTE?
You may need to turn it on in Preferences.

This way you can add some slides & talk about them & PTE will record your commentary & attach it to that Slide.
I find this a good way of getting initial thoughts down to give me an idea of timing.
Depending on the quality of the microphone attached to your computer it may not be the best quality, but it at least gives you an idea.
It also then helps you perfect your script so that you are not repeating yourself.
You can then make a better recording afterwards & just add as a new track to get the spacing, then delete the original comments.

Hope this helps

Jill

Hi Jill,

Thank you for your reply.....I am using the images and text I used to explain the photography tour I was on with Colin Prior and shared on my Facebook page , so I have all the material.

5 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

For me it has to be short commentary takes, because as you put the presentation together, you need the flexibility to slide the audio along the time line to match up with the visuals.  

When recording short bits of commentary (a sentence or two), you’ll probably find that you’ll make less verbal mistakes. It’s also a lot easier to slot in a new bit of commentary when you realise you said something wrong, or you decide you can improve on what you originally recorded.  It happens all the time.

The down side is when you have a need to use noise suppression in your audio. Now it has to be run on all the seperate audio clips, rather than one complete audio file.

For creative freedom, it’s seperate short takes for me and I’ve made a few of these types of recordings.

Thanks a lot Barry I really appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

I do still have a whole set of videos on the subject of adding commentary. They were recorded for PTE 8, but the principals are the same. Download them all below.

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/c4j23t5cdr0gm19/Adding_Commentary_in_PTE8.zip/file

The Videos are:

1. Introduction

2. The Script

3. Writing the Script

4. Microphones

5. Recording and applying commentary

6. Linking Audio Clips

7. Linking Audio Clips (Review)

8. Audacity

That's fantastic Barry , cheers