WnSoft Forums

Solving the problem of missing sound

giljones

I have already thanked Igor by email for his prompt attention to this matter and the conclusions he has come to. It would appear that where a sound file does not play in PTE it is not correctly encoded as an MP3 file by the device that provided it. All my files that gave problems were made via windows Media Player ver 10 which says it is creating an MP3 file if you direct it to do so. Clearly as far as I was concerned this was not happening. The other interesting thing that has become apparent was that all the tracks I used were taken from one CD.

In the midst of all the problems I acquired a copy of Audacity and its associated MP3 encoding file and had got this operational by the time Igor had advised of problems. Firstly I tried loading into Audacity files taken from my original source, without exception Audacity would not let me load any of them, I then took tracks from another disc using Windows Media Player and offered these to Audacuty and they went in without problems. I subsequently edited these and then tried to load them into PTE and I had on problems ,and the sequences played OK. Is it possible that some cd's prevent the possibility of track ripping or have I just been unlucky?

Hi Gilbert

Posted this elswhere but thought I would repeat it here just to make sure you see it.

I'm sure that a great many problems with mp3 files are caused by digital rights management. Avoid using microsoft media player for anything but especially ripping from cd to mp3. Use audiograbber (which is a free programme) and the Lame mp3 encoder, for superior results and no problems with DRM. My two cents worth as using this method I have never had any problems with sound in PTE previews or in running the exe files.

Geoff

Hi Gilbert

Posted this elswhere but thought I would repeat it here just to make sure you see it.

I'm sure that a great many problems with mp3 files are caused by digital rights management. Avoid using microsoft media player for anything but especially ripping from cd to mp3. Use audiograbber (which is a free programme) and the Lame mp3 encoder, for superior results and no problems with DRM. My two cents worth as using this method I have never had any problems with sound in PTE previews or in running the exe files.

Geoff

STONEMASON.

Geoff,

You are absolutely correct ~ I had diagnosed that particular problem some time ago but did not want to contribute my findings to the Forum should I cause more 'grief' that what was going on at that time.

'Windows Media Player 10' does not use a Lame Encoder nor an equivalent device nor does it use a Frauendofer type device. The New MP3 Codec/Encoder within WinPlayer 10 was "imposed" on Microsoft by the 'Digital Rights Management Association' (A la Copyright Association) of America. Its nothing to do with Microsofts WMA Format, you simply convert that to WAV ~ Its all to do with inate greed and 3rd Party Music Sources, such as Sony, Warner Brothers, etc,etc.....

My simple reading of the 'Tech Data" is that 'Win Media Player 10' recognises hidden Tags within the Music stream, somewhat similar to the 'Sony Rootkit' Tags which are dropped into to your PC and when one tries to "copy" or "rip" that Music, those tags go over into the Copy to prevent its re-use in other Music Engines. To get around that one could use raw PCM Format (A La Audacity) or just the simple Analog Music Stream and convert that back into a Digital Format. (I use Sound Recorder Pro)

(I'm sure there is somebody on the Forum who will give us a more precise interpretation of the facts)

The new version of "WinAmp" also suffers from this 'Mogul Disease' ~ much to it's detriment as it was an extremely good Multi-Media player before those draconial impositions.

Hope this helps somewhat....

Brian.Conflow.

STONEMASON.

Geoff,

You are absolutely correct ~ I had diagnosed that particular problem some time ago but did not want to contribute my findings to the Forum should I cause more 'grief' that what was going on at that time.

'Windows Media Player 10' does not use a Lame Encoder nor an equivalent device nor does it use a Frauendofer type device. The New MP3 Codec/Encoder within WinPlayer 10 was "imposed" on Microsoft by the 'Digital Rights Management Association' (A la Copyright Association) of America. Its nothing to do with Microsofts WMA Format, you simply convert that to WAV ~ Its all to do with inate greed and 3rd Party Music Sources, such as Sony, Warner Brothers, etc,etc.....

My simple reading of the 'Tech Data" is that 'Win Media Player 10' recognises hidden Tags within the Music stream, somewhat similar to the 'Sony Rootkit' Tags which are dropped into to your PC and when one tries to "copy" or "rip" that Music, those tags go over into the Copy to prevent its re-use in other Music Engines. To get around that one could use raw PCM Format (A La Audacity) or just the simple Analog Music Stream and convert that back into a Digital Format. (I use Sound Recorder Pro)

(I'm sure there is somebody on the Forum who will give us a more precise interpretation of the facts)

The new version of "WinAmp" also suffers from this 'Mogul Disease' ~ much to it's detriment as it was an extremely good Multi-Media player before those draconial impositions.

Brian.Conflow.

AnyDVD

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Lin

STONEMASON.

Geoff,

Brian.Conflow.

Thank you very much for your information. You have confirmed my worst suspicions. I have since downloaded a copy of Audiograbber as suggested elsewhere and am now comoing to grips with it. Thanks again for your comments. Gilbert

Hi Gilbert

Geoff

Thanks for your comments. I have now downloaded a copy of Audiograbber as you suggest ans am now finding out how to use it. Any comments you can offer here would be most welcome. I assume I cannot use the Lame encoder I downloaded for Audacity as it will probably be in the wrong place. Gilbert

Thank you very much for your information. You have confirmed my worst suspicions. I have since downloaded a copy of Audiograbber as suggested elsewhere and am now comoing to grips with it. Thanks again for your comments. Gilbert

Thanks for your comments. I have now downloaded a copy of Audiograbber as you suggest ans am now finding out how to use it. Any comments you can offer here would be most welcome. I assume I cannot use the Lame encoder I downloaded for Audacity as it will probably be in the wrong place. Gilbert

You may want to save yourself lots of work and simply purchase AnyDVD. It's inexpensive, and like P2E all future upgrades are free and it's updated very frequently. It simply sets in the background as a driver and removes all these "issues" so that when you convert to MP3's there are no problems, period.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I am aware that AnyDVD bypasses copy protection on DVDs but I am reasonably sure that DRM is introduced by Windows Media Player during the encoding process, regardless of the source. This is the reason I personaly use Audiograbber and the Lame encoder, apart from the superior results there is no DRM encoded within the file.

regards

Geoff

Hi Lin

I am aware that AnyDVD bypasses copy protection on DVDs but I am reasonably sure that DRM is introduced by Windows Media Player during the encoding process, regardless of the source. This is the reason I personaly use Audiograbber and the Lame encoder, apart from the superior results there is no DRM encoded within the file.

regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It doesn't actually "bypass" copy protection, but simply renders ALL DVD and all AUDIO CD copies void of encription. Read the entire information on the AnyDVD site. You really don't need Windows Media Player at all. Anything Windows Media Player can do can be done with alternatives which have no such limitations. Programs such as Audio Grabber and Audio MP3 Recorder which intercept signals from the audio card directly are one way of avoiding these issues, but not necessarily the easiest or best.

Best regards,

Lin