WnSoft Forums

Dumping shows from CD to HD

lathompson

Okay, it is generally agreed that playing a show from the hard drive of a machine is better than playing it from a CD. So is there a simple way to write a small program to automatically dump the show to someone's hard drive as soon as the CD is played? We have autoruns to start the show, so why not include the dump?

I cannot write programs and have to plead ignorance here, but wouldn't this be a really simple thing to do?

lt

Yes lt, Boxig has one program that does exactly what you suggest. Also, his MultiShowPlayer (think that is the name) is a nice "front end" that offers each viewer the option to install temporarily to the hard drive. Good work Boxig. You used to quickly meet the needs we all dream up. Now you have so many that the answers await the questions! :)

Look at this page: PTE Utilities.

Under "Free Autorun Programs for CD Distribution"

Hello Granot

Great utilities... as ever :):)

I find one of them particularily interesting : TempCD.exe

It is a very easy way to launch, from HD, a slideshow hosted on a CD.

Another intersting feature is that there is no langage knowledge needed for the end user as no personal intervention is necessary, in contrary of the other utilities.

Just one, great, limitation ; one TempCD.exe / one show repertory / one slideshow

The same program with the possibility to "tell" him (per argument) a path to a spefic repertory or better, just the file, would be a true hit !

Example

TempCD.exe "D:/show1/myshow1.exe" or relative paths TempCD.exe "show1/myshow1.exe"

Anyway, thank very much for all you do.

Thanks Robert and Patrick.

Patrick, I don't undertand what you mean. The show is on CD not on HD, so why I will tell a path to the show ? Or do you mean you want user to be able to install it in the path he choose ? Please explain in more details (and are you sure my other similar utilities don't have the requested feature ?)

Thank you

Granot

(and are you sure my other similar utilities don't have the requested feature ?)

Yes.

They are excellent but for what I want to do they are to rich in possibilities and have buttons in english.

The friends for who I destine the CDs are far from understanding english and explanation as simple as "copy to hard drive" :(

TempCD is very interesting as it makes strictly what I want to do :

copy, without any external intervention, a slideshow from CD to HD, then launch the slideshow and deletes it as slideshow terminates

Patrick, I don't undertand what you mean. The show is on CD not on HD, so why I will tell a path to the show ? Or do you mean you want user to be able to install it in the path he choose ? Please explain in more details

My problem

- creation of a CD with 20 to 30 slideshows

- at opening of CD, a summary (created with PTE) is automatically launched with thumbnails for each slideshow

- on click on a given thumbnail, copy of the fitting slideshow from CD to HD, launch of the slideshow, deletion of the HD slideshow at the end of the sequence

The solution with TempCD

CD root

--autorun.inf

--Slideshow.exe (summary created with PTE)

----Shows (Main directory)

------Show1 (Main's subdirectory 1)

--------TempCD.exe

----------Show

--------- MySlideshow1.exe

------Show2 (Main's subdirectory 2)

--------TempCD.exe

----------Show

----------MySlideshow2.exe

------Show3 (Main's subdirectory 3)

--------TempCD.exe

----------Show

----------MySlideshow3.exe

where the command in Slideshow.exe looks that way

for slideshow1 "\Shows\Show1\TempCD.exe"

for slideshow2 "\Shows\Show2\TempCD.exe"

for slideshow3 "\Shows\Show3\TempCD.exe"

If TempCd accepts arguments, it would look much more simple and only one copy of TempCd.exe is necessary

CD root

--autorun.inf

--Slideshow.exe (summary created with PTE)

----Shows (Main directory)

------TempCD.exe

----- MySlideshow1.exe

------MySlideshow2.exe

------MySlideshow3.exe

where the command in Slideshow.exe looks that way

for slideshow1 "\Shows\TempCD.exe MySlideshow1.exe"

for slideshow2 "\Shows\TempCD.exe MySlideshow2.exe"

for slideshow3 "\Shows\TempCD.exe MySlideshow3.exe"

Granot, your TEMPCD program appears to meet my needs. Played with it for a few minutes yesterday but didn't really suceed at more than getting your program to automatically prompt me to choose a place to save my show. Ran out of time. I've been pretty busy doing portraits (my photography/video business) back and forth between studio to parks.

I guess that's the best choice from list of many. My needs are simple. I do proofing of all my portraiture and wedding photography using P2EXE. Having the CD automatically drop the file (or set of files) onto the HD of the client makes the presentation that much more appealing, especially if they are simply prompted to click and go. The more seamless the act of starting the show is, the better it is accepted by my client.

Couple of notes about your TempCD program. Firstly, I love it. It's very convenient. It would be nice if there was an option for me to set TempCD to just drop the show onto the clients desktop instead of them being prompted to make a decision on where to save it.

One more thing Granot. Please don't be offended by this, but the wording in the help message needs to be gramatically corrected for the local language where it is to be used. The language barrier is not a problem for me but interpretation can be tricky and perhaps you could make that text message editable. Then, the language could be corrected so my local english speaking clients don't wonder about my grammatic correctness.

Finally, I want to also commend you for your excellant work and helpful programs. You are an inspiration to those you help so selfishly. Keep up the good work.

lt

Finally, I want to also commend you for your excellant work and helpful programs. You are an inspiration to those you help so selfishly.

lt

Language is a strange thing. When I read this sentence (I am Dutch, so English is not my native language), I understand the meaning. But when I read it again... Shouldn't it be UNselfishly? :(

Anyway, I use the applications of Boxig a lot. But I agree, sometimes I am in need of Dutch buttons, or a Dutch helpfile. And then I am busy for hours searching the internet for something only half as good as what Boxig has already made in English...

I think everyone prefers to use his native language.

Language is a strange thing. When I read this sentence (I am Dutch, so English is not my native language), I understand the meaning. But when I read it again... Shouldn't it be UNselfishly? :(

Oops, yes, UNSELFISHLY is the word I meant to type. I apologize for that uncomplimentary slip B)

Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. It really took the polish off my compliment.

I have a bad habit of fingers getting ahead of the brain.

lt

Ok, here is what I started and soon will have the first Beta.

Unlimited shows.

Scrolling panorama thumbs for each show (you can make a long panorama of selected images from the show and user can scroll with mouse).

Option to show a list of all shows.

Two buttons to go to Next/Previous, which means the panorama image will change.

Run button to install the show on TEMP and run it from there.

Delete the show afrer closed.

Maybe will add option to show text for each show.

By the way, did you try my "MultiShowPlayer" which has also a French version ?

When Beta is ready I will post here.

Granot