WnSoft Forums

Image Storage

JEB

I am aware that JPEG files deteriorate with use. Although my camera can capture in Raw or Raw + Jpeg I only use Jpeg.

Presently I store my images on an external drive and back up to DVD periodically - though to be honest, probably not frequently enough.

When working on an AV, I take a jpeg copy of the images I require from the external drive to a Working Folder on an internal hard drive and work on those images from there (a copy of the original). I do the same if printing (i.e. take a copy of original).

My concern is that I have heard that many people convert their images to TIFF, which I understand does not deteriorate with use to the same extent as Jpeg. I have not followed this course as yet as I find that I like to keep most of my images, even though I may never get round to using many of them (but which?) and to do this with TIFF would have a major impact on storage.

What do others do?

Should I bite the bullet and convert everything to TIFF?

Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

John

I am aware that JPEG files deteriorate with use. Although my camera can capture in Raw or Raw + Jpeg I only use Jpeg.

Presently I store my images on an external drive and back up to DVD periodically - though to be honest, probably not frequently enough.

When working on an AV, I take a jpeg copy of the images I require from the external drive to a Working Folder on an internal hard drive and work on those images from there (a copy of the original). I do the same if printing (i.e. take a copy of original).

My concern is that I have heard that many people convert their images to TIFF, which I understand does not deteriorate with use to the same extent as Jpeg. I have not followed this course as yet as I find that I like to keep most of my images, even though I may never get round to using many of them (but which?) and to do this with TIFF would have a major impact on storage.

What do others do?

Should I bite the bullet and convert everything to TIFF?

Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

John

John.

JPegs 'Stored' on a HD don't deteriorate if left alone. JPegs only deteriorate when you are 'Editing' and using "Save As" and you are 'over-writing' the origional Image using its old File Name. If you are doing 'Simple Edits' and using "Save" the deteriotration is much less. In fact the deteriotation is proportionate to the 'number of times you Edit and the depth of Editing'.

In your case as you are using 'Copies' of the origional Image, there is absolutely no deterioration to the origional unless you replace the origional with a new Copy.

As a 'Golden Rule' origional Images should be copied/burnt to CD-Disc and kept as an (indexed) Library Folio ~ This gives you the best of all options with excellent security just in case your Storage HD goes down and it also makes it easer to find a particular Folio in a hurry with access to a fresh Copy Image.

Brian.Conflow.

Since your camera is capable of taking shots in the 'RAW' mode, why don't you bite that particular bullet and you will then have a 'digital image' that will never deteriorate. Yes, you will have larger files to deal with but in the day and age, with CD/DVD media being so cheap, that is not really a problem. RAW files are so much better that all the others, and that included jpeg, tiff, psd etc. You will have the equivalent of a film negative and will be able to return to the RAW file again and again to develop it as either a tiff or jpeg, and if you use Photoshop you can also save as psd. The best of all worlds I reckon.

For a detailed tutorial on what RAW is all about, take a look at the tutorial DVD available from Barry Beckhams we site: HERE

John,

I converted over to shooting RAW a couple of years ago...and very pleased that I did. You've got lot's more latitude if you need to correct a bad shot. I store both the RAW and converted JPG. I treat the RAW as though it were film.

I've used several external hard drives over the years for storing my photos. But I recently bought one of these about four months ago and since bought two more:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=110

Very small and compact and ruggedly built. It's also self powered from the USB port, thus requiring no AC cords, power bricks etc. I think they now make a 120gb model. Approximately 1"x3.5"x5.5", rubber base, and very ridgid aluminum body.

If you've got the spare bucks, I highly recommend based on my experience so far.

ken

:D

I, too, work with RAW only. I do the initial tweaking in Nikon Capture which allows the saving of the edits back to the original (or a copy of the original). Photoshop recognises the edits done in Capture and opens the RAW for the final editing and saving as JPEG for use in PTE.

What this means in terms of storage is that I am dealing with 5-6 Mb files wheras, if I convert to TIFF, I am dealing with 34 Mb files (at 16 Bit).

I also have two external 120 Gig storage devices.

So my vote goes to RAW!

Ken suggested the use of non mains (AC) powered drives which take power from the USB port. These are excellent and very versatile, BUT please make sure that the POWER SUPPLY fitted in your computer will take the extra loading. I had one burn out on me very recently.

Ron

Thank you all for your rapid and considered responses, particularly at a time of such great excitement!

At least I am reassured that I am not doing anything too daft at the moment.

I must look into raw more seriously especially as, if I have picked this up properly, raw is not as demanding on storage as TIFF. Correct? The benefits of being able to capture so much detail with raw for subsequent processing are definitely intriguing.

I mentioned before that I do have an external HD. It is connected via a USB port to my main desktop PC. Do I understand correctly that I should be able to interchange this drive with another PC, say my laptop? It is powered independently from the PC.

Regards and all the best with v5 tomorrow.

John

Ken suggested the use of non mains (AC) powered drives which take power from the USB port. These are excellent and very versatile, BUT please make sure that the POWER SUPPLY fitted in your computer will take the extra loading. I had one burn out on me very recently.

Ron

Ron:

You've got me worried...I've been using the drive on two lap tops and two desktops with no problems so far. A couple of my acquaintances have be using one also. Thus far we haven't experienced that problem. What brand of external self powered USB drive were you using? The WD Passport I recommended consumes 1 amp or 5 watts.

Hi Ken,

I have 4 external drives that all have external power supply.

They connect to my computer via a type 2 high speed self powered USB hub.

The drives are made by Lacie (designed by Porchse) and each has 250gb of space.

Incidently, I have now fitted a 600Watt main power supply (just in case)

Ron

Ron:

You've got me worried...I've been using the drive on two lap tops and two desktops with no problems so far. A couple of my acquaintances have be using one also. Thus far we haven't experienced that problem. What brand of external self powered USB drive were you using? The WD Passport I recommended consumes 1 amp or 5 watts.

Ken - Texas

Your external HD-Drive (Self-Powered USB) that you are using is probably a USB-2 Device. You say 1.0Amp/5Watt consumption.

Using this USB.HD by itself should present no problem irrespective of the PC or Laptop in use..

But using it together with other USB Powered Devices such as Cameras-Scanners etc; is starting to "push-things" a little, particularily if you are using them all at one time.

Using 2 x USB. HD-Drives simultaneously is stressing the "PCs Internal Power Supply Allocation" for other USB's devices. You will get away with it for some time...unknown...then silence.

Better off to buy a 'Self-Powered USB Hub' -- One thats rated for 1 or 2 Amp demands between 4 Ports. This will prove invaluable for all sorts of reasons not the least giving you extra Ports and peace of mind. The alternative is to buy a bigger PC Power Supply, if it will fit into the Case ?

Brian.Conflow.

(indexed) Library Folio

Oh how I wish someone had whispered those three little words to me when I started digital photography! ;)

my filing system is a mess or rather non existant & I have to rely on my poor worn out memory (one brain cell) to find anything ! :blink:

As a 'Golden Rule' origional Images should be copied/burnt to CD-Disc and kept as an (indexed) Library Folio
from Brian . Conflow earlier posting.

my filing system is a mess or rather non existant & I have to rely on my poor worn out memory (one brain cell) to find anything ! :blink:

from Brian . Conflow earlier posting.

OK Maureen, now I understand.

I use a program called 'Portfolio' from Extensis to catalog my images and it works very well. After cataloging the whole thing is saved to a DVD for backup.