WnSoft Forums

Chariots of Fire sequence

Ian

As a technical exercise I've re-made one of my sequences using PTE v.5. The original was made in 2002 with GlobFX Composer, using the motion effects possible with that software.

I re-made it with PTE v.5 to compare the result, and I'm pleased the say the PTE version is sharper, smoother, and generally much improved over the original.

Its available on Beechbrook for download.

I used the screen setting "15:9" and "Cover Screen", which seems to offer the most versatile output for display on different monitors. I'd be grateful for any feedback on this as to whether it displays correctly on your own monitor setup. If it works okay then this setting may well be the best option to ensure compatability between standard and widescreen monitors.

Ian

Well done Ian. Played back perfectly on my main computer (NVIDIA GeForce 2MX) apart from a slight flicker as the shuttle crossed the screen in the initial stages. I was surprised that I had not seen your original sequence, so I was not able to compare. I really enjoyed the sequence and I trust you won't mind if I show it to the Sutton Camera Club AV Group. Sorry I wasn't at Mid Thames to see you two weeks ago.

Regards

Ron [uK]

Very good Ian! Perfectly executed in 5.00. Not any slightest flaw in playback as far as I could see. Certainly a clever plot for a sequence. I remember the first of the story as the rockets were built about 60 miles from here. Thanks for sharing the show and Beta testing.

Nice show Ian. Ran very smooth on my system.

Wow. I've been involved in the railroad business for about 30 years...but wasn't aware of the history on 4' 8 1/2" gauge width. Interesting how some things evolve...not as scientific as some might think.

Thanks for sharing.

KEN

Hi, Ian,

Very nice! It's an improvement over the original, and it was very good in it's time, too! And it's only 300kb larger than the original!

Just a little hitch near the middle of the second pass of the shuttle (could be caused by anti-virus activity or something on my system in the background). Also, the first dimension arrow (on the shuttle fuel tank) shows the radius instead of the diameter.

Altogether, a very clever and effective use of the new v 5.0 features - especially the starfield, and I like the distant galaxy at the top RHS! :) It shows up much better on my wide-screen laptop than on the standard desktop monitor.

As a technical exercise I've re-made one of my sequences using PTE v.5. The original was made in 2002 with GlobFX Composer, using the motion effects possible with that software.

I re-made it with PTE v.5 to compare the result, and I'm pleased the say the PTE version is sharper, smoother, and generally much improved over the original.

Its available on Beechbrook for download.

I used the screen setting "15:9" and "Cover Screen", which seems to offer the most versatile output for display on different monitors. I'd be grateful for any feedback on this as to whether it displays correctly on your own monitor setup. If it works okay then this setting may well be the best option to ensure compatability between standard and widescreen monitors.

Ian

Ian: Excellent piece of work. I hope you share how you did it all. I really would like to know about the fade in of the music, etc.

John C

Thanks for the feedback both here and in individual e-mails. No-one has (yet) reported any problems in viewing the sequence, so maybe the "15:9 and 'cover screen'" settings will prove to be the optimum ones to use if you don't intend to create a DVD.

Al - there are a couple of tweaks from the original, one of which is to just point to a section of the rocket motor rather than the whole think. Also I found an actual chariot in a French chateau last year so was able to include a shot of it rather than just mention it!

I'm looking forward to being able to preview part way through and have the music start in the correct place - this will make the timing of object actions much easier to handle!

Ron - sure please use it at Sutton!

John C - the soundtrack was created in Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition), where you can blend several pieces of music together. Audacity does a similar job and is completely free!

Ian

Ian

Very classy and love your sense of humour :-) I am being constantly surprised at how you can incorporate Pan & Zoom to give a seemingly endless range of effects.

I remember GlobFX well and also recall its problems in terms of image quality and playability to the wider masses, I also remember hoping that one day PTE could do many of the tricks that GlobFX could do and it looks like that day has finally come.

And by the way was a bit jerky on my current nvidea 440 MX but that will be changing in a few days when my upgraded video card arrives.

Thanks for the feedback both here and in individual e-mails. No-one has (yet) reported any problems in viewing the sequence, so maybe the "15:9 and 'cover screen'" settings will prove to be the optimum ones to use if you don't intend to create a DVD.

Ian

Ian: as with all the other demos, sorry but your wonderful show did not run smoothly on my PC (GeForce 2GTS)

Title was quite smooth until the end then got jerky.

The shuttle was VERY jerky streaking across the sky

At that point I stopped watching as I expected the same problems with the other demos

Ver 5 is really only effective on the "high end cards" as has been stated and proven to date. The others of us will be bowing out of PTE 5 and sticking with 4.48 (or going elsewhere for less effective effects, but still doable to a point.)

Ver 5 is really only effective on the "high end cards" as has been stated and proven to date. The others of us will be bowing out of PTE 5 and sticking with 4.48 (or going elsewhere for less effective effects, but still doable to a point.)

It might be that in the final version of v.5 the cpu-based graphical engine will be able to handle the scaled objects better than in this early beta. In another thread Igor said:

In final version 5.00 will be two ways:

- New graphical engine with hardware acceleration - if you create slide-show with Pan/Zoom (for modern video cards).

By the way, modern video card very well intended for 2D graphics. For this task, it works in hundreds times more fast than even modern CPUs.

- CPU based graphical engine - for Fade, Circle and other effects (for ALL PCs)

(Which works so fast as v4.48, but also suggests scalable objects, and other improvements of v5.00)

the result will never be as good as on a powerful card, but might be smoother than at present.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Never did see your original show so this new edition was a surprise for me.

Really good show (the first I have see that uses the options available in version 5 without 'going over the top')

How many of the originals options were retained and how many were replaces by version 5?

It ran very well on my NJVIDEA 6600GT card.

I reckon that you ought to produce a tutorial, you would be very good!

Ron

Hello Ian:

Would you mind sharing the method you used to create the moving starfield in your intro.

Ken

:blink:

Hello Ian:

Would you mind sharing the method you used to create the moving starfield in your intro.

Ken

:blink:

Hi Ken

The "starfield" is basically lots of white dots created in Photoshop and saved as a png with transparent background. This is then overlayed several times as objects with zoom and slight rotation effects.

I've put the source files for the starfield here:

Starfield.zip

Ian

I reckon that you ought to produce a tutorial, you would be very good!

Ian is a superb lecturer and you can catch his tutorial techniques for free at most of his talks all over UK & abroad. He was the first to gain a Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society in digital AV and certainly keeps us on our toes with his vast up-to-date knowledge.

Can I have the money now Ian? :D

Hi Ken

The "starfield" is basically lots of white dots created in Photoshop and saved as a png with transparent background. This is then overlayed several times as objects with zoom and slight rotation effects.

I've put the source files for the starfield here:

Starfield.zip

Ian

Hello IAN:

Thanks for sharing your technique as well as your source files.

sincerely,

KEN