WnSoft Forums

A very SIMPLE TEST for your Video Cards

Lin Evans

Sorry for the previous blank post!

I have been following this thread with interest.

Can someone explain the merits of a sequence created as an exe as opposed to a video file.

As I understand it, the exe file is a set of instructions and images for the computer to create the sequence in real time. As a video the computation or rendering has already been done, therefore is less demanding.

Until recently an exe file could produce a higher resolution image but is this still true with the new High Definition formats?

I can produce a sequence at 1280x720 either way and not see any preference in quality.

The point of all this is that the video version would appear to avoid the limitations some people have with their choice of video card and/or cpu.

I would be interested to hear if I am missing something!

Keith Biggs

Sorry for the previous blank post!

I have been following this thread with interest.

Can someone explain the merits of a sequence created as an exe as opposed to a video file.

As I understand it, the exe file is a set of instructions and images for the computer to create the sequence in real time. As a video the computation or rendering has already been done, therefore is less demanding.

Until recently an exe file could produce a higher resolution image but is this still true with the new High Definition formats?

I can produce a sequence at 1280x720 either way and not see any preference in quality.

The point of all this is that the video version would appear to avoid the limitations some people have with their choice of video card and/or cpu.

I would be interested to hear if I am missing something!

Keith Biggs

Hi Keith,

1280x720 is a low resolution image - less than two megapixels. Executable files can create resolutions equal to the input resolution of the file. For example, I have images which are sixteen megapixels which I can display with a PicturesToExe slideshow at their full resolution complete with smooth animations, etc.

The term HDTV (High Definition TV) is somewhat misleading in that it's only high resolution for a television. For a photographer, thats decidedly low resolution.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Keith,

1280x720 is a low resolution image - less than two megapixels. Executable files can create resolutions equal to the input resolution of the file. For example, I have images which are sixteen megapixels which I can display with a PicturesToExe slideshow at their full resolution complete with smooth animations, etc.

The term HDTV (High Definition TV) is somewhat misleading in that it's only high resolution for a television. For a photographer, thats decidedly low resolution.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the quick reply.

I accept that 1280x720 is low but even if I go up to 1920x1080 (the best monitor I could afford) my question remains the same - would there be any advantage in an exe file?

I also agree that PTE is capable of very high resolution but this is surely pointless if the monitor/projector cannot display it.

Keith Biggs

Thanks for the quick reply.

I accept that 1280x720 is low but even if I go up to 1920x1080 (the best monitor I could afford) my question remains the same - would there be any advantage in an exe file?

I also agree that PTE is capable of very high resolution but this is surely pointless if the monitor/projector cannot display it.

Keith Biggs

Hi Keith,

When you create a high resolution executable show it will remain available to display its resolution advantage whenever the display can match the show's potential. Conversely, when you create a low resolution show - whether executable or AVI, MPEG II or DVD format, it can never exceed the display resolution it was created with.

There is certainly a place for either which is probably why many slideshow software developers standardized on DVD output resolutions. The difference with PicturesToExe over the masses of other software is that it uses hardware rendering which means it renders at the resolution of the input file rather than using a pre-determined maximum such as 800x600 (which is the norm) so that when these programs are used to create an executable file they must interpolate up from the software rendering resolution to match the desired executable output resolution. This invariably causes a degeneration in image quality. Also, there is a loss in variously color fidelity, contrast and different color space. Television can't display the same dynamic range or color range of the CRT monitor.

Of course when one creates a slideshow, they should be aware of their audience and the type of equipment which will be used to display the show. The nice thing about the executable file, as mentioned earlier is that it if flexible and can display on a wide variety of output resolutions.

Some of us use monitors which can display nine megapixel resolution - slideshows done with PicturesToExe from high resolution originals and displayed on a nine megapixel resolution monitor are very, very impressive.

So with PicturesToExe you have a choice. You can render at low resolution for DVD or HDTV or render at high resolution for high resolution output devices. That's the beauty of the flexibility, choice. But in order to take full advantage of the high resolution output with multi-layer effects, etc., the system requires a decent video card. This was the purpose of creating the tests - to allow the user to determine where their individual systems fall in the spectrum of available hardware.

Best regards,

Lin

I downloaded the smaller puzzle test a few weeks ago and it worked fine with sound. Then for some reason I deleted it, but have in the last week downloaded it again - NO SOUND. Is this something to do with your end Lin? The visuals work fine.

John

Thanks Lin,

I follow your argument and understand that if I use the full resolution of my images then PTE will generate output to suit the display up to that resolution.

But, I suggest most users of PTE will have monitors/projectors with resolution less than say, 1920x1080. So my question remains would there be any advantage in an exe file over a wmv or avi file?

If not, then surely a video file is more likely to play without hesitation than an exe file because there is less work for the computer to do.

Keith

I downloaded the smaller puzzle test a few weeks ago and it worked fine with sound. Then for some reason I deleted it, but have in the last week downloaded it again - NO SOUND. Is this something to do with your end Lin? The visuals work fine.

John

Hi John,

No changes in the file John. I would guess that for whatever reason your Midi feature is disabled. Try going to the Contro Panel, then to Sounds and Audio Devices (Audio) and check the Midi - my guess is that if you recently turned on the function you may not have "applied' the change, so it didn't "stick"..

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I follow your argument and understand that if I use the full resolution of my images then PTE will generate output to suit the display up to that resolution.

But, I suggest most users of PTE will have monitors/projectors with resolution less than say, 1920x1080. So my question remains would there be any advantage in an exe file over a wmv or avi file?

If not, then surely a video file is more likely to play without hesitation than an exe file because there is less work for the computer to do.

Keith

There is no problem with executable files playing without hesitation unless the video card is lacking in RAM and only then if there is high RAM loading. You can create low resolution for DVD or HDTV or you can create high resolution for those who have the resources to use it. The same problems exist whether you create AVI or executable files. If you load so much that the hardware rendering can't handle it then the AVI won't be any better than the executable. The program does hardware rendering and the competition is now scrambling to do likewise.

There is no question that executable format produces higher resolution and there is no way without a statistical survey that you can surmise that "most" users of PTE with have lower resolution monitors. PTE is used by numerous professional photographers and by people who create slideshows for slideshow competitions. There is a reason they prefer the executable format to AVI or DVD - hence the name of the program "PicturesToExe" rather than PicturesToDVD or PicturesToMovies, etc., it's the basis of the difference between this program and the rest.

The bottom line is again that you have "choice". You can use it as you see fit. For many of us the executable format is much preferred to any video format and that's why we love PicturesToExe.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi John,

No changes in the file John. I would guess that for whatever reason your Midi feature is disabled. Try going to the Contro Panel, then to Sounds and Audio Devices (Audio) and check the Midi - my guess is that if you recently turned on the function you may not have "applied' the change, so it didn't "stick"..

Best regards,

Lin

I followed through your instructions and all now works perfectly. Somehow I had muted Synth. Many thanks, John