WnSoft Forums

How do I post slideshow on my website

a-david

Hi:

I bought the program – and have created a very nice 27mb slideshow as an exe file.

Now I want to include this slideshow on my website ----- which I am creating via Front Page 2003.

My “problem” is ----- on my HTML page – I create a hyperlink to the exe file on my hard drive – but Front Page cannot open it.

So I went into the Configure Editor – set up PTE as the default editor (apr) to open the slideshow.

And it does ----- but not as a slide show ---- but rather as the whole PTE program where a viewer of my website now has to create a new slideshow.

NOT GOOD !

How do I simply create a “slideshow” that I can put on to my website where with a “click” a viewer can start the slideshow without having to do anything else?

I hope I am making this situation clear enough to help you help me.

Thanks for trying

David Worthington, Executive Director

The Emerald Trust

Burnaby BC Canada

a-david@telus.net

Hi:

I bought the program – and have created a very nice 27mb slideshow as an exe file.

Now I want to include this slideshow on my website ----- which I am creating via Front Page 2003.

My “problem” is ----- on my HTML page – I create a hyperlink to the exe file on my hard drive – but Front Page cannot open it.

So I went into the Configure Editor – set up PTE as the default editor (apr) to open the slideshow.

And it does ----- but not as a slide show ---- but rather as the whole PTE program where a viewer of my website now has to create a new slideshow.

NOT GOOD !

How do I simply create a “slideshow” that I can put on to my website where with a “click” a viewer can start the slideshow without having to do anything else?

I hope I am making this situation clear enough to help you help me.

Thanks for trying

David Worthington, Executive Director

The Emerald Trust

Burnaby BC Canada

a-david@telus.net

Hi David,

The easiest way to get a decent usable slideshow on you web is to use Flash. There are a number of different Flash generating programs available. Flash FLV is the method I use because it allows spooling the program and you can set various levels of quality and size with it.

If money is not a huge object you may want to consider Flash 8 (there are several iterations of Flash) and FLV rather than SWF Flash (SWF has an absolute limitation of 16,000 frames which means about 9 minutes of slideshow). The "best" I've found is On2 Technologies Flix Pro. It's not cheap ($250) but it's good. Next, if money is a large consern you might use the Free Riva Encoder and the $30 Riva Producer Lite (a very nice combination). In either case you must make an AVI file first. At present this (AVI File) is not possible with the Beta version of 5.0 but is possible with the release version 4.xx.

Search the Video for previous links about creating web shows.....

Lin

PS, there is also the possibility of using HTML but the size of the image will be much smaller than the AVI.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello

You cannot run a slide show from PTE directly from your web site, you will

need to convert the exe file into a zip file. Windows XP will do that. Right

click and choose send to compressed folder. Upload that to your web site and

link to it.

Those who you wish to view your slide show will have to download it first, but the benefit is that quality is maintained

Check here for what I mean.

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/freestuffdigslidesw.htm

Barry

Hi David,

The easiest way to get a decent usable slideshow on you web is to use Flash. There are a number of different Flash generating programs available. Flash FLV is the method I use because it allows spooling the program and you can set various levels of quality and size with it.

If money is not a huge object you may want to consider Flash 8 (there are several iterations of Flash) and FLV rather than SWF Flash (SWF has an absolute limitation of 16,000 frames which means about 9 minutes of slideshow). The "best" I've found is On2 Technologies Flix Pro. It's not cheap ($250) but it's good. Next, if money is a large consern you might use the Free Riva Encoder and the $30 Riva Producer Lite (a very nice combination). In either case you must make an AVI file first. At present this (AVI File) is not possible with the Beta version of 5.0 but is possible with the release version 4.xx.

Search the Video for previous links about creating web shows.....

Lin

PS, there is also the possibility of using HTML but the size of the image will be much smaller than the AVI.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you for your prompt response to my posting. However, I cannot use either of the methods offered as a means of resolving my problem. Will have to "invent" a work-around using something other that Pictoexe.

Thanks again

David

Hello

You cannot run a slide show from PTE directly from your web site, you will

need to convert the exe file into a zip file. Windows XP will do that. Right

click and choose send to compressed folder. Upload that to your web site and

link to it.

Those who you wish to view your slide show will have to download it first, but the benefit is that quality is maintained

Check here for what I mean.

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/freestuffdigslidesw.htm

Barry

Thank you for your prompt response to my posting. However, I cannot use either of the methods offered as a means of resolving my problem. Will have to "invent" a work-around using something other that Pictoexe.

Thanks again

David

Hi David,

Unfortunately, none of the presentation slideshow programs available can create slidelshows which can be run over the web with any true quality without using some other program which is designed for web use. The problem is that neither executable code, nor AVI code nor MPEG II code can be used directly on the web without some issues. Either there is an unavoidable delay, the quality is greatly compromised or other issues such as downloading specialized players, etc.

The problem is that a slidelshow containing high quality images has some reasonable size which prevents users from being able to see it unless they are lucky enough to have T3 capabilities such as with some government and military systems. Common broadband communications simply can't provide fast enough download capabilities for this to happen on any reasonable and continuous basis.

To get around this difficulty we either must download the file as Barry suggests and play it on a PC or we must convert it to some format which can be used. Each method has its own issues and associated problems. HTML can be read by anyone with a PC or with a MacIntosh, but you are up against the issue of file size so must necessarily have a relatively tiny image of medium low quality to make this means work. Flash allows 640x480 or so size or reasonably good quality and can be played on both PC and MacIntosh computers which have a Flash Player. Other methods such as Active X can only be seen on PC and not on MacIntosh computers. Unfortunately at this stage of technology there is no viable other method(s) which will allow what you wish to happen.

Best regards,

Lin

David,

I would like to 'endorse' Lins very comprehensive explaination as to the difficulties you will run into.

Our sister Company 'Fluent Design Ltd' (Professional Web Page Designers) have tried virtually every

Technology to make PTE do as you desire even to the extent of using the full professional resource

of the Macromedia Corp. ~ it simply isn't possible with the constraints imposed by the Web in it's current

phase of Technical Development.

The best example(s) I have seen so far is the 'Fuji Camera' Website and their product demonstrations

in Macromedia/Flash ~ have a look and you will see for yourself the limitations and these are short video's.

Brian.Conflow.

David:

Although, all of the excellent replies here have given you accurate information, perhaps if you could explain in a bit more detail exactly what you are trying to accomplish we could offer some additional suggestions. Are you trying to post training videos? Show travel photos? Display a portfolio?

No matter what the authoring program, as everyone has said, you are limited to Macromedia Flash (SWF and FLV), AVI, WMV, QuickTime (MOV), RealMedia (RM) or animated GIF for display on the web directly from a browser. You can end up with many of those formats even if you have created your slideshow in PTE, but there are any number of ways (and tools) to get there.

You can also put a slideshow into a PDF file using Photoshop, Acrobat, or various other inexpensive shareware programs, which users could either download or open directly in their browsers.

Why can't you do as Barry Beckham suggests? I do and it works fine for me.

Ron West

Barry & Ronnie,

Of course you are both right ~ the only "quality way" of running a PTE Show over the Web is to download it first, and then run the downloaded Exe. directly from the recipient PC.Hard Drive.

Davids' proposal was ~ That he wanted to "stream" The Show "live" from his PC.Hard Drive directly over the Web to any Site Visitor ~ well we would all like to do that, but....

Yes,it's possible provided you have the resources of a Professional TV.Studio complete with 'Audio/Video/Colour Carrier Modulator' and a 'Multi-Standard Encoder Console' and 'Line-Carrier Amplifier' and a 'hot-patch' to the Local Community TV.Transmitter then put a 'Link' to that on your Web Site having first paid for the RF.Carrier Licence, Copyright, Mechanical and Performing Rights Licences....and you still only have a "streamed" 625 Line VHF/UHF PAL TV Show...phew, who need's all that ?

Then of course one could always go and buy a 'Sony Steady-Cam' (or the likes) and let it do all the work but then who is going to give you 1.0Gb of Server Web Space at the required download speed to effect a "Video Stream" of some 25 minutes (average) duration?...It's hard enough to get 50mB from them, never mind 1.0Gb.

As I said previously, we looked at all the alternatives, but none is more cost-effective nor better quality than a downloaded copy of the PTE Exe.Show.

Brian Conflow.

P.S.

I also note, with the exception of one reply. our friend David has not come back to us on this subject ?

David:

You can also put a slideshow into a PDF file using Photoshop, Acrobat, or various other inexpensive shareware programs, which users could either download or open directly in their browsers.

Hello David,

This is an interesting statement! Tell me more about how an ext (PTE Show) can be converted to pdf and uploaded/downloaded to a web site. I did not know this could be done.

Ron

Hello David,

This is an interesting statement! Tell me more about how an ext (PTE Show) can be converted to pdf and uploaded/downloaded to a web site. I did not know this could be done.

Ron

Ronnie,

Well at least David has replied and he must be reading the 'subject' Postings ~ but please read carefully what he has written...."You can also put a Slideshow into a PDF and upload it to a Website"....(unquote)

Sure you can, but try doing that with a "Self-Contained (executable) Exe" such as PTE...it won't work because the 'Sequential Page Formatting' of a PDF can't read the internal "guts & workings" of the PTE.Executable.

The same applies to "Jalbum" sure it will place sequenced Photographs on a Website with a 'tacked-on' (contineous) Sound File ~ I might add that FOW (Fotos-on-Web) is a much superior Program which does the same thing with superb quality ~ but none of these Programs are self-executables, they are simply "Thumbnail-Indexers" with a few nice things thrown in.

The above is a far cry from Davids' origional proposal where he wanted to "Stream" a Show "Live" from his Hard Drive via a Web Page to a Site Visitor....so I guess he is still trying.

Brian.Conflow.

P.S Below is an 'Registered Image' as to what FOW can do...click in lower RH.Corner for Full Screen.

post-1416-1154686915_thumb.jpg