WnSoft Forums

playing DVD

billmanser

As a newcomer to PTE,I have compiled a Slide show on a DVD/R which plays perfectly on my Computer but when placed in my DVD Player shows as Unknown Disc. What am I doing wrong?!!

Bill Manser PS I`m also new to forums

hello Ken, I created an exe file,and then an AVI file which I burned to a DVD/R, which played on computer but not on DVD player,also would not play on daughters player. Do I haveto "finalise" ?

Thanks for prompt reply. Bill

Bill

Take a look under the heading "How to create a video" I think you may find your answers there. However you may care to wait for the future developments in PTE 5.0 which Igor has mentioned.

Ron [uK}

Bill,

The following may be of help:

If you were doing it the other way around i.e. creating the DVD in a DVD Recorder then normally an "un-finalised" DVD would NOT play on your computer.

If your computer software gives you the option to finalise then I would definitely finalise.

Another tip: When doing trials use a Re-Writeable DVD for your tests - it saves a lot of anguish and not a little cash! You can always erase and try again if something goes wrong. If it works then make the DVD.

Another thing - I have noticed that both of my DVD players seem to like DVD+R better than DVD-R.

I use a programme called SONIC MyDVD which allows the writing of the Movie to a folder - the logic being that if writing to the folder is successful then you can go ahead and make a successful DVD by writing the data in the folder to a DVD.

I hope this is of SOME help?

DaveG

hello Ken, I created an exe file,and then an AVI file which I burned to a DVD/R, which played on computer but not on DVD player,also would not play on daughters player. Do I haveto "finalise" ?

Thanks for prompt reply. Bill

Bill, You will need to use some kind of DVD authoring program to convert that AVI file to a DVD complaint file that your DVD player can read. I use Movie Factory 5 for this, but there are plenty to choose from.

Jason

I find it interesting that DaveG mentions Sonic MyDVD.

I also use this software. I create the AV file in PTE using the TD-1080, PAL, smart anti flicker and audio interlaced options, burn to JVC DVD+R disk, play this in a Panasonic DVD-S35 player onto a Panasonic TX-32LXD 500 Digital Progressive LCD TV. And the resulting show is terrific - not a flicker and crystal clear and sharp.

Hope this is of interest.

Having said all of that, I will still purchase PTE5 DeLuxe as it will be good to everything 'under one roof'.

Regards - Nettleton

Bill,

Apologies - I did not read your reply to Ken correctly. Jason is correct in that you will need another programme to author the DVD, such as Sonic MyDVD or Roxio etc.

Nettleton,

Whilst Sonic MyDVD has never failed me when writing to a folder before burning the DVD, Roxio will also do almost the same thing by writing an ISO file to your hard disc for future burning. If you have a bottomless HDD you can keep these folders or ISO files for burning DVDs without having to resort to creating the AVI from PTE every time you need another copy.

DaveG

Bill Manser

Bill, welcome to the forum

How and what are you playing on the computer

the exe?

more details are needed

ken

Ken, I am playing the exe file on my computer,and I am beginning to think that is what I am trying to play on the TV,Is it because I did not "finish" after the burn. I`m going back to the beginning now. Bill

Bill, In addition to digesting the 'How to create Video' advice you can download a 30 day free trial of Ulead's Movie Factory here: http://www.ulead.com/dmf/trial.htm which will convert your AVI to DVD format and burn to disc.

At least this will give you an opportunity to burn your latest creation, then either buy the full version or as previously advised, sit back and wait for Pictures to EXE 5 Deluxe with it's DVD burning facility.

Just remember the golden rule, do not close Pictures to Exe after creating the AVI until Movie Factory has completed the task of converting and writing to disc.

Bill, In addition to digesting the 'How to create Video' advice you can download a 30 day free trial of Ulead's Movie Factory here: http://www.ulead.com/dmf/trial.htm which will convert your AVI to DVD format and burn to disc.

At least this will give you an opportunity to burn your latest creation, then either buy the full version or as previously advised, sit back and wait for Pictures to EXE 5 Deluxe with it's DVD burning facility.

Just remember the golden rule, do not close Pictures to Exe after creating the AVI until Movie Factory has completed the task of converting and writing to disc.

Thanks to all for help.My problem wa with Nero,since put right. I think I`ll take Nathans tip and wait for EXE 5 Deluxe. Thanks again,, Bill