WnSoft Forums

Refresh timelne waveform?

sjhein

I am working on my first presentation synchronized with music. I added four MP3 files to the presentation, and after doing the initial arrangement decided I needed to have a silent lead-in to the presentation. I edited the first music file to include the silent period. However, the waveform in the PTE timeline dialog does not reflect the change. Is there a way to force PTE to refresh the waveform? I tried removing and re-adding the music files, but PTE seems to cache the original waveform.

Also, are the various options/buttons in the time line dialog documented anywhere?

Thanks,

-Scott

You can download jevans "PTE Timeline Guide" you will find in this thread :

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3870

Thanks - the PTE Timeline Guide looks like it will answer many of my questions. FWIW, the only way I could get the waveform to refresh was to rename the sound file and then add it back into the presentation.

-Scott

Thanks - the PTE Timeline Guide looks like it will answer many of my questions. FWIW, the only way I could get the waveform to refresh was to rename the sound file and then add it back into the presentation.

-Scott

Scott,

You can also remove the music file, then add it back in under the same name, and the new waveform should appear.

• 4 months later...

Dave,

What do you mean by wrong? Please describe what you are finding. As far as I know, there are no temp files associated with PTE, except for the video avi and mpeg files.

I've tried re-adding the file and renaming it and re-adding it and the waveform is still wrong. I assume there is a temp file somewhere that I should be able to delete. Any ideas where it might be?

Not sure whose post I am answering here as there seems to be two separate member queries in this thread. However for Version 4.48, if you creat a sound file and attach it to PTE, then modify the file in an audio editor AND save it with the SAME name as the attached original, then the original attached file will change. You may have to close the timeline window and re-open it to get the sound file to update.

Try this. Create a sound file and attach it to a PTE project. Open the timeline window and look at the waveform. No close the timeline window. Edit the sound file in an audio editor and save it - keep the name the same. No open the timeline window in PTE and you will see the waveform refresh with the new version. I have done this many times and in fact this is one of my standard techniques for preparing a PTE project.

Note : I have not tried this yet with the new Version 5 Beta 9.

Jeff

Dave,

What do you mean by wrong? Please describe what you are finding. As far as I know, there are no temp files associated with PTE, except for the video avi and mpeg files.

Sorry for my lack of detail. I started a project in 8u with a shortened soundtrack. I completed the presentation which was much longer than my shorted soundtrack. I completed the soudtrack (same filename) and replaced the file (an MP3). Everything played fine but the waveform was still from the shorter MP3 file. I removed the file from the project and readded it but still got the old waveform. I removed the MP3 file and renamed it and still got the old waveform.

The reason I think there is a temporary file somewhere containing the waveform pattern is because normally the first time your press the waveform button, the waveform is generated after a delay. Thereafter, the waveform is immedaitely displayed.

Any ideas?

Dave

Dave,

Sorry for my lack of detail. I started a project in 8u with a shortened soundtrack. I completed the presentation which was much longer than my shorted soundtrack. I completed the soudtrack (same filename) and replaced the file (an MP3). Everything played fine but the waveform was still from the shorter MP3 file. I removed the file from the project and readded it but still got the old waveform. I removed the MP3 file and renamed it and still got the old waveform.

The reason I think there is a temporary file somewhere containing the waveform pattern is because normally the first time your press the waveform button, the waveform is generated after a delay. Thereafter, the waveform is immedaitely displayed.

Any ideas?

Dave