WnSoft Forums

Falling Snow over Colorado - Lin Evans

PeterPan

Hello Lin,

I saw your "Storm" slidewhow at your site (http://www.lin-evans.net/demo/index.html)

and I was wondering how did you achieve the "Falling snow" effect?

I did a search in this forum, but found nothing :(

That effect looks really great :D

Thanks for your help :)

--Peter

Hi Peter,

The snow effect is done by creating a couple PNG files in Photoshop. Start with a transparency then paint it white leaving a white cover over a transparent background. Next choose a texture which approximates the consistency of snow you want to achieve - it's best to experiment with various noise and texture combinations. Next use the "select a color range" to select the darker or shadow areas and use the eraser tool to erase the shadows leaving only the white. You may want to repeat this until you have the consistency desired for the individual scene, i.e., heavy snow or fine snow, etc.

Use two or more of these PNG files with one moving vertically or in a somewhat erratic vertical pattern (as snow falling down) and the second moving at an angle and with a different speed. You "could" use the identical file twice or three times to get a simulation of normal snow fall where some flakes fall faster than others. For blowing snow such as in the simulation when the wind blows, use much finer grain and move the file horizontally.

By varying the opacity of these files along with the opacity of the moving clouds you can change the appearance from that of a gentle snow fall to a hard storm as in the demo sample.

Once you have prepared your PNG files, save them for future use in a library so you can always select one or more to simulate the exact or near exact snowfall for your individual purpose.

Best regards,

Lin

Many Thanks Lin for this and all your other helpful tutorials.

As we have no snow here in Aldbourne, I'll try my best to create some later.

Good clean snow with no hard work to clear it away from the driveway! :D

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas

Lots of thanks Lin for this "Text tutorial".

At fisrt glance, it seems a bit complicated, but I am a Photoshop fan, so I will try to achieve something similar.

BTW, you wouldn't have a tutorial on this effect, by any chance :rolleyes: ?

Thanks again...

-- Peter

PS: Here in Montreal, we usually have snow on the ground before Christmas, but this year is different. Call it "Global warming effect", or something else, but it ain't white this year... so using your trick, I will try to trick it :)

PS: Here in Montreal, we usually have snow on the ground before Christmas, but this year is different. Call it "Global warming effect", or something else, but it ain't white this year... so using your trick, I will try to trick it :)

Hey, another Canuck! I knew there must be a few more of us Canadians lurking in the shadows - welcome! Maybe we'll be able to have a "reunion" someday of PTE'ers in the area (from Sarnia to Quebec City, including northern USA, too). We have enough material for a 2 or 3-day conference sometime! :) Merry Christmas!

Some real snow for Maureen and Peter, from Colorado...

Good Morning from Colorado - I will try to make an AV tutorial later and post a link, meanwhile wishing all a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and fantastic New Year. I'm still digging out from the Blizzard of 06 with six foot drifts in my yard - LOL. Three days house bound before we could free up our driveway gate and get out to a plowed road. We had only 34 inches on the level, but the winds were fierce and the drifts were huge. 2700 people were stranded at Denver International Airport for two days and more before they could clear some runways and become operational again.

Here's are links to some pictures:

The first is looking SE from our living room window. The window sill is 52 inches from the ground and the drifts are two to three feet higher than the window sill. The second is looking south with one of our cars buried in front and my tractor in about 30 inches. The last is our old horse Nicky and his pigeon friend, both waiting for me to find my snowshoes so I can feed them - LOL....

Lin

http://www.lin-evans.net/photos/drift21024.jpg

http://www.lin-evans.net/photos/drift11024.jpg

http://www.lin-evans.net/photos/nickandfriend.jpg

Wow, Lin - that looks like the Christmasses we used to get! This year it's green grass, with people out on the golf course still. Personally, I'd rather have the snow this time of the year! :) Guess I'll have to use your method and make some with PTE, instead. :rolleyes: Have a great Christmas!

Wow, Lin - that looks like the Christmasses we used to get! This year it's green grass, with people out on the golf course still. Personally, I'd rather have the snow this time of the year! :) Guess I'll have to use your method and make some with PTE, instead. :rolleyes: Have a great Christmas!

Hi Al,

Merry Christmas to you and your family too! It's been really strange weather. We usually don't get these blizzards at our altitude (5400 feet) and it's been really dry with little snow for the past dozen years or so. I just talked to friends in PA, NJ, and VT and they all tell me that it's 50 degrees and sunny. The Pacific NW, which rarely gets heavy snow especially on the coastal side has been hammered this year (Seattle, etc.) and I guess it was the same storm which dumped on us.

We were praying for a White Christmas this year - be careful what you pray for - LOL...

Best regards,

Lin & Sherry

Hi Lin and others!

This is Xmas day! and I'll take a few seconds to wish the best to all of readers, even though I don't know youi personnally :)

Lin, I have tried your "snow effect" trick, and .... it works!

I don't know how to upload a EXE test I made, but it surely looks great on my computer!

Much thanks to you, and please keep up the diggin'.... err, I mean the suggestions and your great slideshows :D

--Peter

Peter

see

http://beechbrook.com/upload/PTE-English-Disclaimer.htm

type up notes describing the show to include with the zip file as well as a small pict -- details are on the site

i would call it "falling snow p2e ver 5 beta #_ demo"

then repost here under a new thread when Bill upload's to his server -- that way it will not get mixed up with other shows

ken

Hi Lin,

I finally found some time to view your website. Wow some nice shows on them. I liked the Colorado show very much. Awesome pics, very similar to the way we like to use our camera's as well. Must be some good fly fishing up there hihihi! But it will be hard for us to do there with all these nice wildlife around!!!

Long time I have seen show in our country. At least I see some when I visit Artic regions.. Although I personal believe that global warming goes much faster as everybody spread around. I see HUGE impact and effects in many of the wild places we visit. I always look close to insect life and fish behaivour and the changes are dramatically, even at places deep inside the Yukon and NWT. It's the same with birdlife!

In Holland we broke all heat records this year and I think they mention in the year overview that we had the highest avarage temperature increasement on yearly base measured anywhere in the world!

Hopefully the Icebergs are still there when we visit Nfld and Labrador next year!

Hi Lin,

I finally found some time to view your website. Wow some nice shows on them. I liked the Colorado show very much. Awesome pics, very similar to the way we like to use our camera's as well. Must be some good fly fishing up there hihihi! But it will be hard for us to do there with all these nice wildlife around!!!

Thanks! Yes the wildlife and fishing are both great in Colorado - the variety makes it very convenient and fun for the photograper!

Long time I have seen show in our country. At least I see some when I visit Artic regions.. Although I personal believe that global warming goes much faster as everybody spread around. I see HUGE impact and effects in many of the wild places we visit. I always look close to insect life and fish behaivour and the changes are dramatically, even at places deep inside the Yukon and NWT. It's the same with birdlife!

Golbal warming has serious implications for not only much of the wildlife (the Polar Bear, for example) but for humans as well. Over the history of the world in geological time there have been periods of extremes in cold and warmth so perhaps the world will survive, but life is very fragile and we need to do all we can to minimize the bad impact our species may have on this situation.

In Holland we broke all heat records this year and I think they mention in the year overview that we had the highest avarage temperature increasement on yearly base measured anywhere in the world!

Strange weather patterns seem to prevail in these troubled times we live in. Let's hope the future will bring stability and a return to normal.

Hopefully the Icebergs are still there when we visit Nfld and Labrador next year!

That should be a wonderful experience!

Happy New Year and best wishes for a great 07 from snowy Colorado!

Lin

[

[

From another Canuck living in Jerusalem--we had snow a few days ago--enough to close the University whilst my daughter in Toronto bemoaned that there was no snow for the winter break. I invite you all to see the city in snow--it is really a treat. ;)

Strange weather indeed across the world. Hopefully you will be able to "make your own" now - LOL...

best wishes from Colorado,

Lin

:)

From another Canuck living in Jerusalem--we had snow a few days ago--enough to close the University whilst my daughter in Toronto bemoaned that there was no snow for the winter break. I invite you all to see the city in snow--it is really a treat. ;)

I believe many of us would love to see it from your personal point of view! Have you opportunity to put a PTE presentation together to share with us?