WnSoft Forums

O.K., Let's Make it Rain !!

Lin Evans

LOL indeed! You are really on top of this weather deal! Looking out the window yesterday at the falling snow, I found myself judging nature against you ! :) I think one factor that makes your snow look so real is the different planes that you have the the snow riding down. When watching the real thing it was very close to your representation. I did find that if I tried to follow a specific flake, that an individual flake swirled around much more than I would have guessed. When looking "normally" (casually) the flakes out the window appear surprizingly on planes as you have them. I suppose you could use more planes and fewer flakes per plane to fit your scene with any given flake size and wind velocity. To quote the artist again - LOL.

Now on the elk in the rain. I really like the surface water and the rain-created ripples. It did seem though that many raindrops must have been not impacting the puddle. :blink: The real question I have though - The white rock toward the right,near the puddle edge, reflects in the puddle. The white rock on left, by elk butt, does not reflect. How is that?

Is the reflective puddle and the rain drop ripples, a Photoshop action that you had previously found and shared, or is it a new deal?

Lin,

That's a neat effect! Very well done!

You sure have noisy snow down your way, though! Actually, I've forgotten what snow sounds like, as we've had so little this year, and what we did have is all gone. Temp 10 deg above freezing today and tomorrow, too. Completely abnormal! Please send some our way! The skiers are ready to revolt! :lol:

I've forgotten what snow sounds like

I have to interject here Al -

I went outside last night to shovel when our day of snow quit for a half hour. It was the most wonderful quiet I can remember! The new blanket of snow dampened all sound. No wind. I could almost here the full moon! If I could capture that level of silence I would use it in half of my PTE presentations! Wonderful. Absolutely a connection with God. :)

LOL indeed! You are really on top of this weather deal! Looking out the window yesterday at the falling snow, I found myself judging nature against you ! :) I think one factor that makes your snow look so real is the different planes that you have the the snow riding down. When watching the real thing it was very close to your representation. I did find that if I tried to follow a specific flake, that an individual flake swirled around much more than I would have guessed. When looking "normally" (casually) the flakes out the window appear surprizingly on planes as you have them. I suppose you could use more planes and fewer flakes per plane to fit your scene with any given flake size and wind velocity. To quote the artist again - LOL.

Now on the elk in the rain. I really like the surface water and the rain-created ripples. It did seem though that many raindrops must have been not impacting the puddle. :blink: The real question I have though - The white rock toward the right,near the puddle edge, reflects in the puddle. The white rock on left, by elk butt, does not reflect. How is that?

LOL - it's adjustable (number of ripples, size, speed, etc., as well as the quantity of rain drops, length of the drop effects, transparency, brightness, direction, etc.) but I just didn't take the time to really find the proper photo to do it justice nor did I carefully match the rain volume with the ripple quantit, size and depth. The rock on the back near the Elk's butt doesn't reflect because it's a bit too close to the water's edge for the software. The user has the ability to adjust where the rain will fall (extremely powerful) even to limiting it to an area of the photo such as a pond, or sidewalk etc. You can define the precise positions.

The software I used is free. To make the effect in p2e you must use it to create individual jpg files which are then sequenced as many times as you want the effect to last. Actually, I've discovered by playing with it that it's possible to use it for creating snow as well as rain and even though it has a snow creation effect you can tweak the rain to look like better snow than the snow! You can then use a pure color background to overlay the rain or snow effect, use Photoshop and color select to remove the unicolor and have a nice transparency PNG with rain or snow. I've only played with it a few hours so there is much to learn yet.

The software is called Sqirtz Water Reflection

http://xiberpix.homestead.com/SqirlzReflect.html

He also has a very powerful and very nice free Morphing package...

Is the reflective puddle and the rain drop ripples, a Photoshop action that you had previously found and shared, or is it a new deal?

See above:

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

That's a neat effect! Very well done!

You sure have noisy snow down your way, though! Actually, I've forgotten what snow sounds like, as we've had so little this year, and what we did have is all gone. Temp 10 deg above freezing today and tomorrow, too. Completely abnormal! Please send some our way! The skiers are ready to revolt! :lol:

The danged wind is blowing a blizzard tonight again and more drifts have completely covered all my shoveling - HA! Actually a nice soft snow as in the demo doesn't need the wind noise, but we do get lots of wind noise lately with out snow... I'm working on sending it all NORTH - LOL.

Beat regards,

Lin

Liked the effects Lin especially the raindrops on the water. Send your snow to Al by all means but don't re-direct it eastward across the pond please.

Ron [uK]

Liked the effects Lin especially the raindrops on the water. Send your snow to Al by all means but don't re-direct it eastward across the pond please.

Ron [uK]

I hate to disagree with you Ron, but I'd welcome some white stuff in Yorkshire - it's so photogenic and we've had very little for quite a few years now. But it must come complete with clear skies and good light.

Hi Lin very well done I'm most impressed will you be doing a tutorial on the rain effect?

regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Possibly, there are numerous ways to create a rain effect, but what I've done here is use a very nice freeware program to output a jpg file sequence which is loaded into pte and sequenced at a 50ms per image rate. You may just want to download and try the software. The up side is that you can do both reflections in water or ripples as from drops or rain or snow or any combination. You can adjust the amount of rain or snow, the length, brightness, position where it lands,etc., etc.

The down side is that you must run a sequence and this makes it very difficult to do transitions or include text, etc., unless you have either lots of patience or a good video editor such as Vegas Movie Maker. You "can" animate and do captions, labels, etc., manually frame by frame, but it's terribly tedious so as good as the effects are, it may not be the "best" way to do these things unless you really want to work.

Even to add text or other effects with a good video editor, you would export an AVI or MPEG file then you would have to use a decompiler to break the video back into still frames to import back into PTE. I have all these tools so it's easier for me to do these things, but I think the approach theDom is using may ultimately be the more versatile for quick slideshows. Of course you can't get the nice ripple or puddle effects that way, but for pure rain effects it may prove to be the superior method because it's much faster to animate a few PNG files than to tinker with hundreds of still jpg's.

Still putting in sequential jpgs is better by far in terms of image quality to dropping in video clips and it's also much smaller in terms of code. It only takes about 60 images to create the ripple and rain effect then these are repeated many times. By doing it this way the overhead in terms of an executable is much, much smaller than if an AVI or MPEG clip were able to be dropped into PTE.

Anyway here's a link to the software. You may want to try it - also you might want to try the free Morphing software from the same site.

http://xiberpix.homestead.com/SqirlzReflect.html

Best regards,

Lin