WnSoft Forums

PNT - Presentation Notification Tool

cottage

In an effort to notify users about new presentations on Beechbrook.Com, I need some feedback as to whether this utility would be useful. Interested persons would download the file once from any of my PTE download pages. Once the utility is on the PC it could then be run at your leisure to check the date of the last new PTE presentation upload. This would negate the need to log into to the site itself to verify new uploads.

The utility does not create cookies or capture email or IP addresses. It merely logs into the server and checks the date of that last PTE presentation upload. If it's useful I will place it on the download pages. The utility will automatically timeout in 8 seconds after executed. Update: see message below for revised version of utility.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

I wouldn't use it, myself, as I have no problem logging in to Beechbrook itself whenever I want to check for updates, but I can see where it could be useful to some.

I usually wait for notification on the forum about a new show, and then pick up any new ones not so mentioned along with the one in the notification.

Hello Bill

I invariably check your site as a matter of routine with a shortcut on my desktop. I have no need for your extra facility. Best wishes.

Ron [uK]

Hi Bill

I also do routine checks and go there regularly.

Many Thanks for all you do for us. :)

Hope you're getting lots of donations to help with all the costs.

Hope one day we'll meet up in UK :)

I too think that is a slick little program. Did you compose the program yourself?

I'm honestly not sure if I would routinely use it. It certainly is a quick way to check. I think what I personally need is more a "reminder" to check, as I had come to rely on the email notifications. The other thing you might consider is whether you would benefit by the traffic that comes to your site to see what is new but would come less often if they just use PNT.

Thank you Al, Ron, Roger, Tom, Maureen and Robert for your comments. I thought perhaps this would provide a quick and easy check for new presentation. However if most folks simply log into the site anyway, there certainly isn't any need from just another utility.

Tom. Yes a link could be provided but I would probably need to remove the timeout feature. Otherwise the pop-up window might dismiss too quickly.

Robert. I enjoyed sending the presentation reminder emails for so long. Alas my membership got too large and the server folks said - no more.

Maureen. Lots of donations is a great thought, but as you know... certainly not a reality. I did receive a very thoughtful donation from Dave in the UK first of January. My first since Oct 06. I too would enjoy meeting you. We'll be somewhat close as we holiday throughout the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland this May.

Everyone. With some 184 message reviews and only 14 downloads it looks like this is a moot point. I will probably leave the utility active for a short while longer and then remove it unless there is a surge of enthusiasm. ;)

Kind regards,

Bill

Tom,

Taking your suggestion I rewrote the utility and have attached it here. The utility still timesout in 8 seconds if no button is selected. If the "Yes" button is selected Beechbrook.Com opens in a browser window. If "No' is selected an exit window opens and closes in 2 seconds. Comments are still welcomed: PNT.zip

Utility Updated 1/26/07.

Regards,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...