WnSoft Forums

Possible 4.0 Bug?

HaroldB

I'm not sure that this is a bug, but...

Previously, when I specified a 32x32 bit icon, PTE always seemed to automatically generate a 16x16 icon into the EXE (for use in File Explorer lists) without me explicitly telling it to.

Now, with 4.0, when I specify a 32x32 bit icon, PTE seems to imbed its default icon as the 16x16 icon into the EXE, with the net result that all PTE shows show the default icon in the File Explorer window.

Is this something I am doing wrong, or is this a bug in 4.0?

Harold

Harold, I don't really recognize the behavior you have experienced in the past. When I made a show yesterday, the icon process worked the same as I thought it has before. On Project, Main, I ask the program to add a 32x32 icon. Then I ask it to add the 16x16 icon. It even worked first try. (In the past, I have often made faulty icons that PTE would reject until I re-made them. What worked for me last night - is that what you are doing? Or are talking about not using your own icons at all?

I guess I have never recognized the "automatic" part of the icon process for PTE.

My normal procedure is to use Irfanview to make my icons. Many months ago, I wrote myself the following instructions. (Just in case my memory should somehow waver.)

Open photofile in Irfanview (matters not if jpg gif or bmp)

Save as desiredname.ico (must select to save as .ico, not just type in .ico

Open the now.ico file of the photo

Crop it to square, any size, but EQUAL number of pixels both directions.

Save the square cropped file.

Use RESIZE feature to enter pixels, ie 32x32 or 16x16

After resizing,

use feature to REDUCE COLOR DEPTH to 256 for 32x32 or 16 for 16x16

The LAST thing to do before saving the icon that will work, is to reduce the

color depth as stated. If you reduce the color depth earlier, it will change

to possibly a higher number when you resize the image. The color depth MUST be

the last adjustment made before the final SAVE AS .ICO Otherwise the icon will

not be accepted by PTE (Pictures to Exe) Also -

Apparently in PTE where you choose to use own icon, you should insert both a

32x32 AND a 16x16 as apparently, depending on the settings in windows, ei set

to large or small icons, it will then use which ever it needs if I have

inserted both in PTE.

You can tell Harold, that some of the above may not be necessary or even true. What I do know is that after previously have troubles, the above procedure has not failed me. I hope it may help you do what you want.

Just tried, Harold. I made a mini-show, and added a 32 x 32 icon. The same icon appears both as 32 x 32 and 16 x 16 (in "list" mode). My system is Win 2000, if this can matter.

Bob, it's a little difficult to me to explain this, because my Win 2000 in in Italian, and I don't know exactly which terms are used in English version.

When I open a folder, under "View" menu I have five choices to visualize the files. I try to traslate literally: "Large icons", "Little icons", "List", "Details", "Preview".

If I chose "Big icons" I see 32 x 32 icons; in all other cases (besides Preview) I see 16 x 16 icons.

Hope have been clear enough...

Bob, it's a little difficult to me to explain this, because my Win 2000 in in Italian, and I don't know exactly which terms are used in English version.

When I open a folder, under "View" menu I have five choices to visualize the files. I try to traslate literally: "Large icons", "Little icons", "List", "Details", "Preview".

If I chose "Big icons" I see 32 x 32 icons; in all other cases (besides Preview) I see 16 x 16 icons.

Hope have been clear enough...

Bob..

I thinks Guido means this!!

Correct me if I am wrong Guido <_<

icons in list preview

Thanks a lot, guys.

Here's what I did to fix my problem, not that it makes much sense to me <_<.

I had set the .ICO extension on my system (Win/ME) to point to IconShop, which I use to manage ICL icon libraries. That gave all .ICO files in Explorer lists the 16x16 icon of IconShop. And somehow, when I told PTE to use any 32x32 .ICO file, it picked up the correct 32x32 icon, but the resulting EXE also got the 16x16 icon of IconShop!

I deleted the association of .ICO files with Iconshop on my system. That made .ICO files show in Explorer lists with a 16x16 version of the 32x32 icon contained within the .ICO file. Then, when I deleted the icon specification from the PTE file and added it back again, the resulting EXE showed on Explorer listings with a 16x16 version of my 32x32 icon.

This behavior was independent of the PTE version... the same things happened with 3.8 and 4.0.

Thanks for your help, Bob & Guido!

Harold