WnSoft Forums

Resizing photos for Television

peterandjean

Hi

I would like advice on preparing the DVD photo sizes to run on a 16 .9 Ratio television. I resize my photos for my monitor resolution which is 1280 x 1024 but do not know if this produces the best image on the television screen. I have no problem burning DVDs straight from PTE5u, have not tried producing an AVI. The DVD producing screens in PTE ask whether you want 16.9 or 4.3 once again does this make a difference on what you resized you photos to in the first place.

Jean

Hi

I would like advice on preparing the DVD photo sizes to run on a 16 .9 Ratio television. .........snip........... The DVD producing screens in PTE ask whether you want 16.9 or 4.3 once again does this make a difference on what you resized you photos to in the first place.

Jean,

The file size in PTE doesn't seem to matter as long as it is larger than the size used in the DVD rendering process, as the latter resizes the images anyway, in order to produce the video file. Typically this size is 720x480 in the N. American NTSC system. For PAL it's 720x576. It could be different for different codecs, depending on the intended use.

Here are some articles which will give you a feel for some of the issues involved, even if, like me, you don't completely understand them:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3...371.TLiXgtBIWZm@

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75079

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/gerard.../pixel_madness/

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

As you can see, a lot of things are happening in the "codecs" used to render and burn DVD's, so it is difficult, without extensive experimenting, to really know what sizes are best to use. Different codecs can give different results, too.

Ralph the "Hawk" seems to prefer large image sizes (e.g. 1920x1080 for wide-screen DVD's), but I, personally, am not convinced that this really makes any difference to the quality of the resulting video as so much depends on the original image quality, the quality of the method used for sharpening, how the images are resized, the quality of the codec, how the DVD will be viewed, etc., etc.

The main concern is to use original images which approximately match the aspect ratio at which you are going to view them, and to set the appropriate ratio in PTE and in Video Builder before you burn the DVD. However, even wide-screen videos can be viewed on standard 4:3 TV sets, but you will have to accept some "letter-boxing. Also, if your images don't perfectly match the video aspect ratio chosen, they will be adjusted in the final video through "letter-boxing" (the use of dark borders on either the top and bottom, or sides, or both.)

You can use a 4:3 ratio in VB, too, if you don't want a wide-screen menu. In my case, my widescreen images are 15:9 (to match my projector), so I use that ratio in PTE Proj. Options and VB, and accept a slight letter-boxed result in the resulting 16:9 video.

Hi Al,

I have also found that the ratio size I choose in the burning process doesn't seem to have much effect on the end result.

I don't have much knowledge on different codecs, and am interested in your point that different codecs do affect the quality, so is there anyone out there who can offer any advice on which codecs might be the best choice?

wideangle

this is a very deep subject

i have always found that the pte default codec sufficed but if i wanted a permanent avi i had to pick one from the many that are on my system

with the advent of dvd builder Igor has given us the option to make a permanent mpg

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec

a while back we learned if you have a collection of avi's from various sources if you r mouse / properties sometimes the codec is listed that was used

also

you can get a free tool

http://avicodec.duby.info/

that will tell you the ino as well as list all codecs on your system

also

SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective

http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html

this thread

More Video Coding Comments, Producing AVI files from PTE

started by Jeff Evans

has a wealth of info in it

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....2&hl=codecs

ken

Hello Jean & Peter

NTSC zone – Canada (here)

Sometime ago when we first started burning DVD’s for 16:9 widescreen we tested with good quality images full size from our digital camera and cropped to 1920 x 1080.

All test shows were viewed on a 42” Plasma 16:9 ( at this time burned with Nero Vision )

We were very impressed.

With the introduction of PTE’s Video Builder, and some different ways of thinking we lately have been using 1024 x 576 image.

We found with testing that there was no distortion and correct ratio and quality equal to the 1920 x 1080.

The 1024 x 576 image size I believe is PAL, however Video Builder (maybe through it’s magic) produces a NTSC perfect.

Our other reason for using 1024 x 576 is a faster encoding time with smaller image size.

Not certain what zone you are in, but looking at the time in your post I am surmising PAL.

If so and you get a chance, would you try the following to do a small test show.

Small show – (6 – 10 images)

Cropped at 1024 x 576 (good quality sharp images)

PTE settings – Project options – Screen section (aspect ration of slide) - choose 16:9

Create the small show.

Click – FILE – SAVE AS - Saves to a .PTE file.

Click at bottom of main screen PTE – (Video) – (choose Create DVD disc) - Opens Video Builder

Locate and Drag in your saved .PTE file to lower bottom section.

Click - Project Options (bottom left) - Choose – TV system (PAL) Menu Aspect Ratio (16:9) – leave all others at default.

Next – edit your menu – Next – Burn a DVD disc.

It’s a little tricky for us in the NTSC zone to give advise to others in the PAL zone, as we cannot see the end results.

There are many variables in this DVD jungle and if the above does not work as you would expect, we could always try something else. The best way is to start at a starting point and work from there.

As Al has mention – Good Quality Images – Close Ratio, are main factors as Video Builder renders to the normal video size PAL 720x576 – NTSC 720 x 480 and has the smarts to adjust with exceptional quality output.

We would appreciate any feedback. (Hoping to hear back.)

Hi Al,

I have also found that the ratio size I choose in the burning process doesn't seem to have much effect on the end result.

I don't have much knowledge on different codecs, and am interested in your point that different codecs do affect the quality, so is there anyone out there who can offer any advice on which codecs might be the best choice?

I agree that the precise image size or aspect ratio doesn't seem to matter - the codecs seem to be able to accommodate most image sizes and ratios and adapt them to the output required.

I don't have much experience with different codecs myself; like Ken, I find the ones which are the default in PTE work pretty well. I find the one in Video Builder to be excellent too. But I've heard that the ones used in the movie industry cost many thousands of dollars. Of course most of them involve a combination of custom-designed hardware and software.

Working with images and adapting them for viewing through dvd players and on tv sets is a real science involving resizing, complex compression algorithms, different size pixels, creating and stuffing additional in-between images to make a smooth effect, and adapting the result for playback on a multitude of different players and tv sets involving many different design standards and technologies. It's a real wonder that the process works as well as it does! :)

One other point - I don't know if anyone can help me out on this one.

I have Ulead Videostudio 10, and that imports avis produced with PTE using the PTE codec without any problem.

I also use Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus (Version 10.7), but this will not recognise avis produced with PTE, even though PTE has a tickbox for Pinnacle Studio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also use Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus (Version 10.7), but this will not recognise avis produced with PTE, even though PTE has a tickbox for Pinnacle Studio.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you using PTE v.5 or 4.48?

I also use Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus (Version 10.7), but this will not recognise avis produced with PTE, even though PTE has a tickbox for Pinnacle Studio.

I, too have Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus (v 10.7), and have not been able to burn a PTE-produced avi, either. I could with Studio 8, but only one show at a time. Had to create separate "free-standing" custom avi's and then import them to Studio 8.

Pinnacle "Studio" (now Avid "Studio") has a history of being very "finnicky" when it comes to interfacing with PTE.

Hello Jean & Peter

NTSC zone – Canada (here)

Sometime ago when we first started burning DVD’s for 16:9 widescreen we tested with good quality images full size from our digital camera and cropped to 1920 x 1080.

All test shows were viewed on a 42” Plasma 16:9 ( at this time burned with Nero Vision )

We were very impressed.

With the introduction of PTE’s Video Builder, and some different ways of thinking we lately have been using 1024 x 576 image.

We found with testing that there was no distortion and correct ratio and quality equal to the 1920 x 1080.

The 1024 x 576 image size I believe is PAL, however Video Builder (maybe through it’s magic) produces a NTSC perfect.

Our other reason for using 1024 x 576 is a faster encoding time with smaller image size.

Not certain what zone you are in, but looking at the time in your post I am surmising PAL.

If so and you get a chance, would you try the following to do a small test show.

Small show – (6 – 10 images)

Cropped at 1024 x 576 (good quality sharp images)

PTE settings – Project options – Screen section (aspect ration of slide) - choose 16:9

Create the small show.

Click – FILE – SAVE AS - Saves to a .PTE file.

Click at bottom of main screen PTE – (Video) – (choose Create DVD disc) - Opens Video Builder

Locate and Drag in your saved .PTE file to lower bottom section.

Click - Project Options (bottom left) - Choose – TV system (PAL) Menu Aspect Ratio (16:9) – leave all others at default.

Next – edit your menu – Next – Burn a DVD disc.

It’s a little tricky for us in the NTSC zone to give advise to others in the PAL zone, as we cannot see the end results.

There are many variables in this DVD jungle and if the above does not work as you would expect, we could always try something else. The best way is to start at a starting point and work from there.

As Al has mention – Good Quality Images – Close Ratio, are main factors as Video Builder renders to the normal video size PAL 720x576 – NTSC 720 x 480 and has the smarts to adjust with exceptional quality output.

We would appreciate any feedback. (Hoping to hear back.)

Hi Ralph

well I have tried exactly what you stated above but found the photos were not quite in, in either direction on a 16:9 ratio television. The front page of the PTE video with a small print of the show in this small window all seems well. It may be best to use your television zoom which will produce margins on the screen but as I believe most cameras photos are produced at a 4:3 ration so resizing them to 1025 x 576 makes you loose a lot of photo. I have also tried resizing my photos to 1600 x 900px but this seems to give the same result. YOU MENTION CLOSE RATIO what do you mean by this please

.....but as I believe most cameras photos are produced at a 4:3 ration so resizing them to 1025 x 576 makes you loose a lot of photo. I have also tried resizing my photos to 1600 x 900px but this seems to give the same result.

Photos from most good cameras today are close to the 3:2 ratio, which I find is more satisfactorily adapted to 16:9 than to the "normal" 4:3 TV ratio, where so much of the images sides has to be cut off if one wishes to fill the screen. I prefer to cut off some of the top and bottom in order to fill the wide screen, but I also don't mind the side-bars if I wish to retain the entire image. This is the main reason I have switched entirely to wide-screen mode.

Hello Peter & Jean, thanks for getting back to us.

The front page of the PTE video with a small print of the show in this small window all seems well.

The menu background image size in Video Builder are 1024 x 576, and you say looked ok – full screen I assume. Therefore I am surprised the images in your presentation did not appear the same using 1024 x 576. ( full screen )

Correct me if I misunderstand you but you mentioned you resized your pictures, there is a difference with cropping them to 1024 x 576. ( I am sure you are aware )

You may also want to try a small test cropping at 1920 x 1080, but should not make any difference at least it does not here with NTSC.

I usually keep the safe TV zone in mind along with loosing some of the image when taking pictures specially if I know I am going to do a DVD.

My Nikon shoots photos at 2272 x 1704. Using Photoshop Elements as my main graphic editor I set the crop size to 1024 px x 576 px – or 1920 px x 1080 px, yes you will loose some of the image but should be able to crop about 70%.

Shows full screen on 16:9 TV and letterbox on 4:3 TV, and computer monitor.

YOU MENTION CLOSE RATIO what do you mean by this please

Here is a interesting URL.

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/Image%2...opped_image.htm

I believe that if your images are close in size to 16:9 ratio, Video Builder will adjust but if too far out there may be slight distortuion.

Small NOTE: ( ver 5 beta )

When creating your show in PTE make sure TV safe Zone is checked ( located in O & A - tools ), also turn on in Video Builder - menu section - in Edit at top, or right click mouse.

You may also want to try adjusting your images in PTE - O & A ( after thought on my part )

Possibly Al, Ken or someone especially in the PAL region might want to jump in with any suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Hello there!

I am in the UK and som am using the PAL system on my television. I had alsmost given up with making DVD's because I just could not get a satisfactory quality - nothing that remotely compared to an EXE file on my computer monitor. I spent a good few hours with Nero and almost got there, but not quite.

Recently I purchased a Plasma 40 inch television and decided that I should have another go at burning DVD's. I started to use Video Builder (that is built into version 5 of PTE) I was amazed at the quality of my shows - it was excellent. The problem I experienced was that all of my slide shows were in 4:3 format and therefore did not show well on a 'wide screen' television. I sought some advice from Hawk, on the forum and he advised a few things that put me on the right track. I am now producing really good DVD's that I am very happy with.

Heres a test that I carried out with Hawk:

1. Crop all images to 1024 x 576 and create a PTE slide project with these images. Now use Video Builder to burn the DVD first making sure that you change the screen option to 16:9 in both PTE and Video Builder. It is also wise to check that you have turned on the 'TV Safe Zone' option in both.

2. Repeat the above but this time crop your images to 1920 x 1080.

I found that both shows played perfectly on the television withthe image completely filling the wide screen. I also could not detect any real difference in the quality of the 2 show swhen played on the television.

The quality was excellent, but whether thia was because of the digital television or not, I really don't know.

Try the above test for yourself, I am sure that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ron

A few thoughts on my experience with Digtal TV

From the tests I have done with my 42 inch Plasma I have found that creating a PROGRESSIVE Scan

DVD show will give you the best quality for a 480p DVD Player.

The bottom line is your digital TV will convert your input to it's native resolution

eg. 42 Plasma HDTV 1024x

Most LCD 1368x

1080p 1920x1080

I have tried resizing my images to my Plasma's native resolution instead of the 1920x1080 that

I shoot in and I could not see any difference in quality.

I have watched 1080p side by side with EDTV 852x at 9 feet I could not see

any difference. If you go up and stand 2 feet away in some scenes you can see

a little difference.

I use my laptop connected through vga to view shows on my plasma.

I would'nt be to concerned about 1080p TV. We don't even have the bandwidth for 1080i

at the moment.

A few thoughts on my experience with Digtal TV

I would'nt be to concerned about 1080p TV. We don't even have the bandwidth for 1080i

at the moment.

Hi Ralvis,

My guess is that you are using a NTSC television. The results are a little different on a PAL and the 1080 res works fine for me.

Ron

Ron the point I was trying to make was that whatever resolution you have

it will always default to the native resolution of your TV. I assume you have a

42 inch plasma HDTV which is 1024x768 pixels for most. You are not getting 1080i on

this TV. You would need a TV with native resolution of 1920x1080.

Ralvis