WnSoft Forums

AV problem

iceberg

I was tidying up some folders containing P2E files and my computer which was fine up to that point suddenly went on a decided go-slow. I aborted what I was doing, re-booted but still the same problem. Task Manager showed no other task and cpu usage was virtually zero. I abandoned what I was doing and went to my laptop to do something similar and to my surprise there was the same problem! Because the laptop was a slower computer - OK for P2E v4 I watched what was happening: Opening a folder of about a dozen P2E exe's showed them with the default Windows icon, there was much disc activity, then slowly one-by-one the icons changed to the proper ones! When I tried to run one, there was a substantial delay, but when the sequence started it ran at normal speed.

I have been in the habit of disabling AV when doing shows so I switched off Zone Alarm Suite (and the internet link). Then all was normal. Going into the settings for Zone Alarm 6.5.737 I found I could disable the scan normally done whenever an exe is executed and that worked.

I know that both computers had done a very recent update of AV and spyware files. There always was a very short delay between double clicking the exe and it starting but now it is taking ages if AV is operational.

Has anyone else observed this and if so what is the next step?

The exe files in question were mainly v4 but I think v5 were also affected. Unfortunatley it is not possible to deduce the version unless PZT effectsd are seen - HINT perhaps authors could include this in the author's notes section of Beechbrook.

I know that both computers had done a very recent update of AV and spyware files. There always was a very short delay between double clicking the exe and it starting but now it is taking ages if AV is operational.

Has anyone else observed this and if so what is the next step?

The exe files in question were mainly v4 but I think v5 were also affected. Unfortunatley it is not possible to deduce the version unless PZT effectsd are seen - HINT perhaps authors could include this in the author's notes section of Beechbrook.

Bruce,

I have experienced similar delays, both in refreshing icons in Explorer, and in starting various programs, including PTE exe's. Explorer in Win XP seems to be much slower at refreshing than it used to be. I have no answer for what causes this, as there is so much going on in the background these days, even, it seems, if you disable all of the obvious culprits. I know it sometimes helps to defragment the drives, and also to apply a program like "enditall" which clears out everything not essential from RAM.

Your suggestion for a note about the version is a good one. Alternatively, perhaps Igor could implement a "Ctrl-shift-V" capability in the "exe" files which would flash the vintage number, and perhaps other vital statistics up on the screen momentarily for those of us "in the know" to use.

Hi

I use Zone Alarm, etc and have no problems with things running slowly, unless (and I was very grateful for this advice from a friend) ......

a. my disc needs to be defragmented

b. I have not left 25% of the drive free and the processor then has some problems.

So I try to make sure I keep the drives as free as possible copy onto DVDs and use external hard drives to store most of my downloads and files.

For some reason every so often I appear to lose a dll file and then when I reinstall all is well again. Don't know why it goes "walkabout" and have repeatedly scanned so no viruses, worms, bugs that anything shows up. Just a quirk of my XP I guess.

BW Maureen

Thanks Al and Maureen.

Just to elaborate. It was just prior to defrag my desktop that I decided to move several P2E files and there was initially no problem as I moved them within their folders from C to D. C is less than 50% used. It was when I tried copying a P2E exe to an external drive on which I keep all the photos and audio that I noticed a problem. Then it was with the files copied to D.

I think the delay is due to the AV program having to check what are quite large (>50Mb) P2E exe files. What I can't understand is why that check now takes such a long time compared to previously.

Using either computer for normal use shows no problems!

Incidentally I used to use AVG but had the same problems as has been reported in this forum so switched to ZoneAlarm when subscription on firewall ran out.

I am not sure if this is relevant but I was advised recently to go back to IE6 as there had been lots of problems reported that had been tracked to recent IE7 installations. When running Lin's swf test I also noticed that IE6 was much slower than Firefox at loading the forum pages.

Peter

Hi

I use Zone Alarm, etc and have no problems with things running slowly, unless (and I was very grateful for this advice from a friend) ......

a. my disc needs to be defragmented

b. I have not left 25% of the drive free and the processor then has some problems.

So I try to make sure I keep the drives as free as possible copy onto DVDs and use external hard drives to store most of my downloads and files.

For some reason every so often I appear to lose a dll file and then when I reinstall all is well again. Don't know why it goes "walkabout" and have repeatedly scanned so no viruses, worms, bugs that anything shows up. Just a quirk of my XP I guess.

BW Maureen

WALKABOUT DLL's

Maureen,

Many Graphic Programs deploy Microsofts System Dll's ~ they are called 'shared dlls' ~ and at times if you

disable certain types of these Programs some of those shared dll's will go walkabout.

In particular we know that the following "types" of Programs are prone to make certain dll's go walkies !

1) Such as ~ Bulk EMailer Programs.

2) Graphic type ~ Personal Organisers.

3) Screen Capture Programs ~ those with which you can perform 'Live Edits' on the Capture Image.

Walkabout dll's will eventually bring down the very best of PC's, so I would try and find the culprit before

it does some unforetold.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Brian.Conflow.