WnSoft Forums

He's my Brother

Lin Evans

Hi JPD,

It begins with PNG text scroll so probably too much for the 32 meg graphic environment but to have an opening screen in front destroys the aesthetic of a scroll as an opening segment for a show.

There are two PNG files of about 480K plus a 3.4 meg PNG text file. The two PNG files are both loaded immediately along with the scrolling text file. The only way I know to make the text file smaller would be to loose a good deal of text resolution by enlarging a smaller text file. Actually the original is enlarged to about 150%.

I put a jpg in front, try this one and perhaps it will load?

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/jpd.zip

Hopefully, with the release of beta 9 we may see some way to avoid this issue for systems which lock up.

Best regards,

Lin

:( Black screen + reboot

Thanks Lin, but always black screen an reboot, which is important isn't the size of the file in Ko but in pixels. The size in memory for a 1024 x 768 size picture for instance is W x H x 4 = 3 Mb for jpg, BMP or PNG file, the only thing I don't know is about GIF file, I'll ask to Igor or made a test to know.

Hopefully, with the release of beta 9 we may see some way to avoid this issue for systems which lock up.

I hope so, because there are many people who have such problems but say nothing, maybe it's difficult to say my PC is old.

That's definitely the problem because the text PNG is 2491 x 4944 at 300 ppi. A work-around then would be to create several smaller text files and run them sequentially rather than one large scrolling text block. Something we can keep in mind for future text generation with PNG. I assume that several smaller PNG files would work much better. That would also be true for snow animations or other animations which have lengthy sustained scroll actions.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin, but always black screen an reboot, which is important isn't the size of the file in Ko but in pixels. The size in memory for a 1024 x 768 size picture for instance is W x H x 4 = 3 Mb for jpg, BMP or PNG file, the only thing I don't know is about GIF file, I'll ask to Igor or made a test to know.

I hope so, because there are many people who have such problems but say nothing, maybe it's difficult to say my PC is old.

Lin, This worked fine for my computer, but I would have thought the scroll should have dropped downwards, not shot upwards to start. The text going upwards seems natural enough. This is just a passing comment.

John

Lin,

An other excellent idea!

I agree with John that the scroll could have dropped downwards.

And may be, if it's feasible (I think you used a PTE transition for the roll opening) that - instead of the text going upwards - the text is still and that's the rolls which goes downwards.

Just a suggestion. :)

Anyway, congratulations to panos and you.

JPD TEST SHOW works ok

and

snip

is that you ticklin' the ivory's :)

ken

LOL - I wish!

Lin

Hi John,

That seems logical, so done...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, This worked fine for my computer, but I would have thought the scroll should have dropped downwards, not shot upwards to start. The text going upwards seems natural enough. This is just a passing comment.

John

Lin,

An other excellent idea!

I agree with John that the scroll could have dropped downwards.

And may be, if it's feasible (I think you used a PTE transition for the roll opening) that - instead of the text going upwards - the text is still and that's the rolls which goes downwards.

Just a suggestion. :)

Anyway, congratulations to panos and you.

Hey Dom,

Yes - on the roll direction, but unfortunately too much text to just open to the full amount but that would work fine in some cases. Thanks!

Lin

Just thought folks might like to have a look at another of the PanosFX fine actions animated through PTE.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/scroll.zip (about 5.4 meg)

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

This is brilliant, one of the best effects I have seen in PTE. Many of the ideas on the forum, whilst very clever and interesting, are ones I might not want to use in actual av shows. But this one would be very effective. Any chance of finding out how it is done.

Regards

Jeff

That's good for me, now, thanks Lin. Just a little point, it would have been perfect if we could see the text under the shadow, it must be easy to do with a png file.

The idea of the first effect is very nice with this picture ;)

Hi Jeff,

Sure, here's the PTE:

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/scrollpte.zip

It actually a very simple one. Go to the PanosFX site and register then download his free Scroll action for Photoshop to create the scroll.png (or just use the one I created then placed in the pte).

I copied the oriiginal then pasted on a transparent layer and erased the center portion. Next open in PTE and place the original with the duplicated scroll on top layer. Create text as a PNG in Photoshop and animate to suit by placing the text between the two scroll png files. Use black rectangles to mask the text on top and bottom so it doesn't appear after leaving the scroll.

To make it perfect - as JPD suggested, it would be better to make that portion of the scroll with shadows under the top and bottom facing the scroll surface semi-transparent. This could be done in Photoshop by carefully masking off only those shadows then using about a 20% opacty on a very large brush and clicking once over the whole scroll area. This would result in those masked shadow areas only being semi-transparent so that when the text scrolls out of or into this area it too would be naturally shadowed before disappearing.

The pte I just posted has the shadow area totally transparent, but I'll re-do it later today as I have explained and re-post but this will get you started.

For JPD I added a quick jpg frame before the scroll begins to unroll then I divided the long png text into two segments and made the second one a child of the first. This lowered the file dimensions to accomodate a 32 meg graphics card and the frame at the begining of his version "jump" starts his card which for some reason doesn't like an immediate large animation with png movement.

The unrolling of the scroll was done easily by changing the radius on a scroll-down from the top from the default to value 5.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

This is brilliant, one of the best effects I have seen in PTE. Many of the ideas on the forum, whilst very clever and interesting, are ones I might not want to use in actual av shows. But this one would be very effective. Any chance of finding out how it is done.

Regards

Jeff

Hi JPD,

Excellent idea! Later today I'll make that shadow area semi-transparent and re-post it.

Best regards,

Lin

That's good for me, now, thanks Lin. Just a little point, it would have been perfect if we could see the text under the shadow, it must be easy to do with a png file.

The idea of the first effect is very nice with this picture ;)

G'day Lin,

Very very nice effect, subject matter was well chosen too.

it would have been perfect if we could see the text under the shadow

I agree with this comment and also I think it would be better if the text was not seen through the scroll when it is unrolling.

Again well done, thanks for the PTE of your work. It is useful in learning more of how these things are done in v5 when the author posts the PTE. :)

Hi Jeff,

Sure, here's the PTE:

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/scrollpte.zip

It actually a very simple one. Go to the PanosFX site and register then download his free Scroll action for Photoshop to create the scroll.png (or just use the one I created then placed in the pte).

I copied the oriiginal then pasted on a transparent layer and erased the center portion. Next open in PTE and place the original with the duplicated scroll on top layer. Create text as a PNG in Photoshop and animate to suit by placing the text between the two scroll png files. Use black rectangles to mask the text on top and bottom so it doesn't appear after leaving the scroll.

To make it perfect - as JPD suggested, it would be better to make that portion of the scroll with shadows under the top and bottom facing the scroll surface semi-transparent. This could be done in Photoshop by carefully masking off only those shadows then using about a 20% opacty on a very large brush and clicking once over the whole scroll area. This would result in those masked shadow areas only being semi-transparent so that when the text scrolls out of or into this area it too would be naturally shadowed before disappearing.

The pte I just posted has the shadow area totally transparent, but I'll re-do it later today as I have explained and re-post but this will get you started.

For JPD I added a quick jpg frame before the scroll begins to unroll then I divided the long png text into two segments and made the second one a child of the first. This lowered the file dimensions to accomodate a 32 meg graphics card and the frame at the begining of his version "jump" starts his card which for some reason doesn't like an immediate large animation with png movement.

The unrolling of the scroll was done easily by changing the radius on a scroll-down from the top from the default to value 5.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi JPD,

Excellent idea! Later today I'll make that shadow area semi-transparent and re-post it.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I follow most of that with the following exceptions :

1. I see all the objects in the O&A window but when you play the slide still in the window, only the text moves. What has happened to the unrolling of the scroll?

2. Scroll unrolling. Sorry, do not follow your explanation here.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You have to play the "preview" to see it unroll because:

The scroll unrolling is done with the transition "Curling of Page - Unroll from the Top" set with a 5% radius. . The time is set for 3 seconds. Check the transition in Customize Slide.

It works because the background is black so you can't see anything other than the scroll itself unrolling even though the black background is also doing the same. Also you must leave the "back" natural rather than change the color.

By the way, the link is now updated so that the scroll2.png has semi-transparency under the shadow.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I follow most of that with the following exceptions :

1. I see all the objects in the O&A window but when you play the slide still in the window, only the text moves. What has happened to the unrolling of the scroll?

2. Scroll unrolling. Sorry, do not follow your explanation here.

Regards

Jeff

It would be difficult to not see the text through the parchment because the unrolling is done via the transition Unroll From Top set to a 5% radius and 3 second duration. This works "because" of the black background. The "background" is also unrolling but it's invisible because it's black. The only simple way to make the text disappear during the unrolling would be to make the "back" of the unroll a solid color, but then the whole screen would be this color during the transition and it would spoil the effect.

The only other ways I know to make the text disappear would be to either make the entire text set to zero transparency for the period of the unroll (you would not see it on the face side either) then turn it back on or fade it in with opacity change over the unroll time or to try to mask that portion of the scroll with a portion of yet a third scroll.png. Actually, I think better to leave it as is rather than try to get too fancy with perfection because then it would get too difficult for most users to follow the logic and use it in their own presentations. It "could be done with two black jpg's used to mask the right and left side of the scroll perfectly then a parchment color match for the color used on a colored "back" rather than natural, but I'll leave that to someone else who wants to tinker because it presents all kinds of issues in perfectly matching the uneven contour of the side of the parchment and matching the color for the back. Only if we had a "custom" feature for the backs on the roll/unroll transaction including texture would this really be worth the additional effort I think.

Ideally one would not want to see the text on the "back" of the roll but I'll just pretend that the ink bleeds through - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

G'day Lin,

Very very nice effect, subject matter was well chosen too.

I agree with this comment and also I think it would be better if the text was not seen through the scroll when it is unrolling.

Again well done, thanks for the PTE of your work. It is useful in learning more of how these things are done in v5 when the author posts the PTE. :)

Lin,

It's really nice and you improved it a lot.

You definitely have a lot of creative ideas. :)

May be I'm wrong but I think you could decrease the size of the text for old video cards : instead of 2491 x 4944 for you text, you could have something like 600 width without beeing noticeable but you would gain a lot for the file size (3.343 kb => 550 Kb).

On the opposite, I noticed a little lack of definition for the scroll : in Photoshop, you could "toggle dialog on" in panos action (first item) to choose the size of the scroll and increase it a little bit : instead of 500 x 650, you could choose 750 x 975.

Keep up the good work! :)

That would work, or just the way I did it for JPD by dividing the long png into "byte" size pieces - LOL. I just divided into two parts which cut the size down sufficiently to let it work fine on the older video card.

Yes, the size could be adjusted to make it more distinct on larger displays (I'm using 1024x768). With my display it looks fine but I'm sure on higher resolution monitors it could use a few more pixels.

Just an idea for those who would like to use it to play with. I wish there were a "custom" option for the backs of the screen for the roll/unroll transition then I could use a texture match for the parchment and masking jpgs on either side to perfectly fit the contours of the yellow parchment so the text didn't show through, but then it would also be nice to be able to manually control the roll/unroll so as to stop the action at any point or roll the top down while the bottom was rolling up - LOL Too many "wants" - and better to let Igor work on getting out the next beta I think.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

It's really nice and you improved it a lot.

You definitely have a lot of creative ideas. :)

May be I'm wrong but I think you could decrease the size of the text for old video cards : instead of 2491 x 4944 for you text, you could have something like 600 width without beeing noticeable but you would gain a lot for the file size (3.343 kb => 550 Kb).

On the opposite, I noticed a little lack of definition for the scroll : in Photoshop, you could "toggle dialog on" in panos action (first item) to choose the size of the scroll and increase it a little bit : instead of 500 x 650, you could choose 750 x 975.

Keep up the good work! :)

Lin,

I'm curious as to why you included the white screen at the end of the demo.

Not to take anything away from this excellent effect, I've posted an ending HERE which I prefer to the one in your example.

Let me know if I'm missing something. :)

Hey Al,

No particular reason, just a fade to a screen for a few seconds before returning to the desktop. The roll-up works well too but needs to be a bit later to match the end of the music.

When it works again (maybe with beta 9) I like the last slide to remain on the screen rather than go back to the desktop icons automatically - normally with ending scripts, etc., but just happened to have a convenient white jpg to fade into.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I'm curious as to why you included the white screen at the end of the demo.

Not to take anything away from this excellent effect, I've posted an ending HERE which I prefer to the one in your example.

Let me know if I'm missing something. :)