WnSoft Forums

Delux License how long?

sbmongoose

If I upgrade to a deluxe license before version 5 is released do I get all upgrades for product life still, or is it a 2 year thing now like for people who purchase after 5 is released?

Or has everything changed, and will there be a charge for people in two years time for newer versions of Pics2EXE, or just the Deluxe part? Or is it something else?

The information on the web site is contradictory to the information on this forum.

Actually the information on the website is contradictory to other information on the wesite. When you go to purchase it talks about Personal, Business and Advanced licences. When you purchase though it lists Personal, Business and Deluxe, oh and the upgrade to Deluxe.

Help please, it's very confusing for people who are just joining as old posts are no longer on the forum.

Thanks for any information.

Simon

Maybe I can offer a partial answer to your question here.

I was under the impression that as a former registered PTE user I would now be entitled to free upgrades for life. I assumed this would stay the same if I upgraded to the Delux version.

However, having just upgraded to Delux, when I click on ‘about’ in Video Builder it seems that I am only registered for upgrades for two years!

I’m guessing how this works is that I will still get free upgrades to PTE, but not to any future versions of Video Builder?

Hopefully, by doing the upgrade I have now not lost my lifetime upgrades on PTE.

Hopefully, by doing the upgrade I have now not lost my lifetime upgrades on PTE.

I've done the same. They appear to be two separate licences - if you select "About PTE" from the Help menu in PTE you should still see it says "all future versions for free".

Gareth

I've done the same. They appear to be two separate licences - if you select "About PTE" from the Help menu in PTE you should still see it says "all future versions for free".

Gareth

There is your answer sbmongoose.

With all the development and features in the new version, PTE is still excellent value, even with a limited Video Builder licence.

There is your answer sbmongoose.

With all the development and features in the new version, PTE is still excellent value, even with a limited Video Builder licence.

Oh, I agree it's great value. I just couldn't find informations saying how it was going to work either way.

Thanks guys

Simon

I too would like a definitve answer for this.

I have owned PTE for a few years now, and have no problem upgrading to the deluxe version, even if I may never use the video builder.

However, I would like to know this:

1. as a previous owner, am I still getting free upgrades to the basic program for life, and the video builder license is just for 2 years?

2. if I upgrade, do I lose the 'free for life' benefit, or is this going away no matter what?

bottom line, if upgrading to the deluxe version will NOT affect the lifetime upgrades I now enjoy, I would be happy to do that. I just don't want to 'lose' something by doing an upgrade to something I MAY not use.

Would really like a definate answer. :huh:

Sorry if this seem redundant, but I'm just not sure it has been answered with absolute certainty.

It’s always difficult when buying software, upgrading etc.

I paid a little extra for the business option and am a little disappointed that I could have just gone for the ordinary consumer version, as by now upgrading to deluxe I have missed out. The deluxe version automatically includes business! Ideally I would have liked to stay on the free upgrades forever bus, but I also understand that it has also got to be worthwhile for developers.

Maybe Igor would have been better to allow free for life updates for VB also for those who stuck with the package over the years.

PTE is now a truly great program and I’m sure when version 5 is released and further refined it will be assume the mantle of the number one slide show software.

OK, got the answer last night in an email from tech support. All users will now have 2 years of upgrades. Free for life is gone.

Not sure exactly how I feel about this. I realize that continuing development of a really good program can't be done for free, but then, those of us who bought the program in the past were promised 'free for life'.

This isn't the first program that I've purchased with 'free for life' upgrades that later got changed to a yearly license. I guess even those with the best of intentions eventually realize that they just have to face the fact that continuing to improve a program costs more than they thought.

Given the choice of a small upgrade fee for such a dramatic improvement in the program or development stopping due to insuficient funds, I'll choose the former. Therefore, Igor, my upgrade fee is on the way today.

email reply from tech support follows:

Dear Don,

1. Yes. It's correct.

2. After PicturesToExe 5 final release, all customers will have only 2 years of free upgrade.

--

Alena Tomilova, WnSoft Inc.

support@wnsoft.com

http://www.wnsoft.com

Excuse for this mistake Alena's answer.

All users who bought Personal or Business license for PicturesToExe, will continue to use for free all future versions of PicturesToExe v5.00, v6.00 and etc.

For VideoBuilder (for all users) we think to limit license to 2 years of free upgrades. And then necessarity to buy Upgrade again or use last version which was released during this two year's period.

We still thinking on this question.

p.s. we plan to buy HD-DVD/Blu-Ray libraries and (probably new video encoder) for VideoBuilder.

Thanks for the clarification, Igor.

Just purchased the Deluxe upgrade, and tried out the video builder. Nice job. :P

Glad to contribute to the cause.

Don

Excuse for this mistake Alena's answer.

All users who bought Personal or Business license for PicturesToExe, will continue to use for free all future versions of PicturesToExe v5.00, v6.00 and etc.

For VideoBuilder (for all users) we think to limit license to 2 years of free upgrades. And then necessarity to buy Upgrade again or use last version which was released during this two year's period.

We still thinking on this question.

p.s. we plan to buy HD-DVD/Blu-Ray libraries and (probably new video encoder) for VideoBuilder.

Honestly, I can't imagine how you still can make money with a life licence. :blink:

I think you're one of the last developpers to have this policy. I hope PTE users realize how generous it is.

I agree with thedom. I would be happier, in terms of PTE's long term survival and development, to pay more for my licence, right now, than to see the program compromised by shortage of capital and earnings. It's not just good value for money, it's far TOO GOOD value for money. That may seem a short term plus, but in any business venture it's a long term minus. Double the price, Igor, reinvest the additional income in R&D, and I doubt you'll lose a single customer. Maybe keep a budget version running, PTE-lite, for first-time customers to try? Good luck to you.

Peter

I couldn't agree more with The Dom and Peter.

The price dose not reflect the quality of the product, I for one would be happy to pay more so that the people that have produced this excellent product are properly rewarded. Also to ensure a future for more development. See the "Ideas and suggestions for future versions" topic for what could be done.

I think the following suggestion would be more appropriate than the current overly generous position, (to us).

PTE V4.48 Current release -- called "PTE lite" at the current price.

PTE V5 Full release -- with a free 2 year upgrade period. At double the current price.

PTE V5 Deluxe -- 2 year upgrade period. At 2.5 the current price.

At the end of the licence period a discount could be given to current users who renew their licence.

Just an idea to reward Igor and team as they should be for their generosity. :):)