WnSoft Forums

SVCD with PTE

LumenLux

In a previous chapter of this discussion, Ray (raypar) generously offered to convert PTE shows to SVCD. I thought that was very generous and also a very good way for me to see the quality that might be possible and whether it is worth the process/effort. I emailed a couple of PTE shows, one rather lengthy, to Ray. Ray then did the conversion, added a creative touch or two and then mailed the resultant SVCD's to me. He also sent a VHS tape of the same PTE shows. From the amount of previous discussion, I suspect there are at least several more forum members who might be interested in the results as I see them. I think this would be called a subjective review. No technical specs, just "how it looks to me." And to Ray, thank you very much.

Here I quote from my initial "report" to Ray"

I am pleased with the quality. Maybe I mentioned, I had tried various programs that would create VCD shows. That level of quality was not acceptable. But what you have produced as SVCD is definitely good. I think any "normal" viewer, invited in to see a PTE show on the TV would certainly not question the quality. Even looking with my somewhat cautious and critical eye, I think the photos look really good. Besides that, being able to play the shows on the TV also brought the sound through a better system which made a difference in overall appeal to me. You apparently have the whole process from PTE to SVCD not only figured out, but mastered. I think the SVCD version looked better to me than the VHS. Your presentation of the presentations is fun. I especially like the balloon transition. Nice labels on really cool looking cd's. I have never used or really looked at the colored cd's. All in all, a successful product and very well "packaged." Thank you very much. I am anxious now to try the SVCD on a relative's very large screen TV (where my VCD had looked obnoxious in a short test.

Now, I must admit a big grin comes across my face when I think that these shows you did for me are probably your last SVCD's you may ever do. Maybe they will have added collectors value as the last of that medium by Ray Parvaresh. What I mean is - your buying the DVD burner right now - now that you have perfected the craft of producing really good SVCD's. Reminds me of myself. I spend a lot of time learning some software, hardware, or technique, and then move on to a new phase where the learning can begin anew."

I think the SVCD quality as Ray accomplished it, is certainly good enough for many, probably most, "needs." Perhaps the most current question for myself, is whether my "need" is now or whether it can wait until true DVD burners and formats and prices clarify themselves relative to my personal, at any given moment, "need."

Just a side thought - In earlier days, part of the appeal and "brag" of PTE was that it could produce such great quality on just a pc. You didn't have to have all the other expensive toys to watch great quality. And if it was true then, I think it is true now. So let us all smile at ourselves as we enjoy. :ph34r:

Of course, other subjective oppinions are given equal time here.

Thanks for the update.

After reading Ray's post a while back I too made some copies with my laptop's TV out. It was a slideshow I made for a cousin that lost her battle with cancer. And the Family loved being able to all watch the show while playing it in the front room and not try and watch a 17 inch screen in the Den. It may not be the same quality as the computer screen. But if more people can watch a show and enjoy it together. Then it is a much better show in the end.

Thanks to Ray, for point out the easy way to transfer our shows to a DVD player so more family members can enjoy our work.

cc

Great update, and matches my experience w/DVD slideshows on the TV.

Now, I must admit a big grin comes across my face when I think that these shows you did for me are probably your last SVCD's you may ever do. Maybe they will have added collectors value as the last of that medium by Ray Parvaresh. What I mean is - your buying the DVD burner right now - now that you have perfected the craft of producing really good SVCD's. Reminds me of myself. I spend a lot of time learning some software, hardware, or technique, and then move on to a new phase where the learning can begin anew."

Luckily, the change for Ray (or anyone) from VCD/SVCD to DVD really only entails two small changes (once the DVD writer is purchased/installed):

- Select DVD mpg rather than SVCD mpg as the output

- Burn to DVD rather than SVCD

There are some seriously looonnnnggg encoding times (processor-bound) when you change from PC shows to DVD shows, but for me the time is worth it for the results. I just start the encoding/burning process and wander off to do other things.

Dana

I think I just found the answer to my previous question in a thread started back on march 21 where Raypar explained the process. So now my question is, "can I connect directly from my scan converter to my pinnacle capture card to capture the pte presentation in digital format?" Casey seemed to think that it had to go from computer back to digital camera and then to capture card. I think that the answer is that the digital camera performs the same function under these circumstances as the scan converter, but I am not sure.

Frank