WnSoft Forums

Sound and timeline

I have been away from the forum for a very long time due to other priorities getting in the way (but still a continuing avid producer of PTE AVs)

I hope this has not be raised elsewhere and I am repeating a query, but I could not find a reference to it.

Some time ago, I had suggested that it would be very helpful to be able to hear the sound line audio when previewing via the timeline. Igor indicated that it would be incorporated very soon.

Guess I thought (hoping ? :) ) it was going to be in Ver 5, but I just tried it using beta 12 in a show I am working with and it does not seem to be working.

Is it me, or is the change still in the "hoping/planning to implement list" ?

Jim,

I remember, but I leaved it for v5.10 or v5.20 We plan big improvents for timeline window and I would like to implement this feature with other similar improvements.

Thanks Igor !!!

I have been away from the forum for a very long time due to other priorities getting in the way (but still a continuing avid producer of PTE AVs)

I hope this has not be raised elsewhere and I am repeating a query, but I could not find a reference to it.

Some time ago, I had suggested that it would be very helpful to be able to hear the sound line audio when previewing via the timeline. Igor indicated that it would be incorporated very soon.

Guess I thought (hoping ? :) ) it was going to be in Ver 5, but I just tried it using beta 12 in a show I am working with and it does not seem to be working.

Is it me, or is the change still in the "hoping/planning to implement list" ?

Not sure whether I have misunderstood this post, but I am currently trying out a project using Beta 12 and, when in the timeline window with a sound file attached, I can hear the sound playing. Did you mean, hear the sound file whilst in the Objects and Animation window ? because that is not possible at present.

When in the timeline window, you cannot see the effect of animations, but that is only to be expected.

Jeff

Not sure whether I have misunderstood this post, but I am currently trying out a project using Beta 12 and, when in the timeline window with a sound file attached, I can hear the sound playing. Did you mean, hear the sound file whilst in the Objects and Animation window ? because that is not possible at present.

When in the timeline window, you cannot see the effect of animations, but that is only to be expected.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

This goes back a year or two. I do a good number of shows with narration and I frequently add the sound bites of narration via the SOUND "line" on the main page of PTE, rather than via PROJECT OPTIONS > MUSIC > ADD a sound track.

This saves me time in setting up a show as to use the Project Options route, I do the narration first, and "synch" it via the SOUND "line". Then once I happy with it, I then create the music track via PROJECT OPTIONS. This saves me having to constantly go back and forth and adjust each sound bite to get the timing right everytime I make changes while synchronizing the images to the music track.

In short shows of 5-8 minutes, it is not too bad, but I am working on a 25 minute one with over 120 sound bites. So using the SOUND "line" is a quicker option. (although once I have everything synched, I then mix in the 120 sound bites and lower the music volume behind each bite.....)

Hope this is clearer

Jim

G'day Jim

See this post regarding sound editing and the time-line window:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6657

Would this be helpful?

Thank you very much for your note. I am trying to have a commentary over background music so I found your points very helpful. Could you please say whether you have a separate file for each sound bite, if not how do you do it?.

I would like to lower music volume also behind a sound bite. Could I do this in Audacity, if so exactly how do I do this.

Any help would be much appreciated

Old John

So using the SOUND "line" is a quicker option. (although once I have everything synched, I then mix in the 120 sound bites and lower the music volume behind each bite.....)

Hope this is clearer

Jim

I would like to lower music volume also behind a sound bite. Could I do this in Audacity, if so exactly how do I do this.

G'day Old John,

Yes this can be done in a sound editor external from PTE. However this is time consuming and somewhat cumbersome, particularly when working with a large show and many audio tracks. When Igor said:

I leaved it for v5.10 or v5.20 We plan big improvents for timeline window and I would like to implement this feature with other similar improvements.

I hope he is thinking of implementing a separate audio time-line for the "Project Option" sound file and the "Sound line" sound files with some basic volume adjustment allowed on each at the appropriate points. Maybe even some fade in/out adjustment as well. This would speed up the production a lot and give the author much better audio control.

Jim,

This is a good method of building the audio track, better than the "Customise Slide" method, as the sound track added under "Project Options" is killed, but by using the "Sound Line" on the main screen it continues to play, although volume can be a problem.

One major shortcoming of this is when the "preview from current slide" is used in the main screen or time-line. When the "Sound line" file starts back some slides before the selected one and runs over it it won't be played. This means always selecting the image the file is associated with to hear it on the following images. Currently that can be hard to find in a large show.

Old John:

I use a custom pre-set amplify envelope to lower the volume of the music behind the narration. I am not sure if you can set that up in Audacity or not. Audacity is quite a strong package so I suspect you might be able to. I use Adobe Audition.

Yes I have separate sound bites for each item. Sometimes they pretain to just one slide, sometimes they run over a few images

JFA:

I agree that starting at "preview from Current slide" is a bit of an issue as you say, but if I need to I scroll back to the last slide that has a file atached in the sound line