WnSoft Forums

Beta 15 loop menu demo

alrobin

I created this simple looping demo to illustrate how sound can be incorporated into a menu using the new "looping" feature in synchronized mode.

Both sound and music are contained in a single sound file, and looping is used to separate the instruction from the music.

However, due to a peculiarity in the program, the instructions, instead of repeating ad infinitum, just give a small grunt the second time around.

I've added a second image to illustrate the timeline - slide 2 is the looped slide.

loop_menu_demo.zip post-215-1180126601_thumb.jpg

I created this simple looping demo to illustrate how sound can be incorporated into a menu using the new "looping" feature in synchronized mode.

Both sound and music are contained in a single sound file, and looping is used to separate the instruction from the music.

However, due to a peculiarity in the program, the instructions, instead of repeating ad infinitum, just give a small grunt the second time around.

I've added a second image to illustrate the timeline - slide 2 is the looped slide.

loop_menu_demo.zip post-215-1180126601_thumb.jpg

Al,

Sorry I don't follow this. What is the new "looping" feature and where is it located?

Jeff

Jeff,

It's a new method (in I think beta 14+) of "stalling" PTE over a certain slide to allow time for an object to be selected, for which an action has been given. It's a way to set up a menu within a show without having to create 2 shows.

Select a slide in the "slide list" and click on "Customize slide". (see screenshot below)

post-215-1180204159_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Click on "Customize Slide" then on "Main" tab find the section which says "no actions after this slide" then click on the choice arrow.

The loop feature simply performs an infinite loop on a given slide until there is a command to "exit" or go to another slide, or perform some other action. So for a menu, you no longer need to set some length time such as 5.000 seconds to prevent the menu from disappearing while another slideshow is running, etc.

Lin

Al,

Sorry I don't follow this. What is the new "looping" feature and where is it located?

Jeff

Jeff,

It's a new method (in I think beta 14+) of "stalling" PTE over a certain slide to allow time for an object to be selected, for which an action has been given. It's a way to set up a menu within a show without having to create 2 shows.

Select a slide in the "slide list" and click on "Customize slide". (see screenshot below)

post-215-1180204159_thumb.jpg

Al, Lin,

Thanks for answer. Does this feature replace the feature in 4.48 of disabling the slide duration, which is what we used for manually controlled shows to show menu screens (e.g. display each slide for x secs in Project Options Main tab). As this feature is not longer available (although Igor has said that he will re-instate it), we need some other technique to hold a menu slide until a particular choice is selected.

If so I would have prefer the original technique in 4.48.

Jeff

...Does this feature replace the feature in 4.48 of disabling the slide duration, which is what we used for manually controlled shows to show menu screens (e.g. display each slide for x secs in Project Options Main tab). As this feature is not longer available (although Igor has said that he will re-instate it), we need some other technique to hold a menu slide until a particular choice is selected.

Jeff,

It's another way to accomplish something similar - of course, if one simply holds the slide, in synch mode what should one do with the music? How long should it play? The looping is one way to hold the slide and should also loop the music once Igor gets the bugs worked out of it.

You can still accomplish the same effect as in 4.48 by setting a very long duration time (say 5000 seconds). But in synch mode, this would still pose a problem similar to that encountered by using the old method. The looping is the best alternative for sync mode.

Al, Lin,

Thanks for answer. Does this feature replace the feature in 4.48 of disabling the slide duration, which is what we used for manually controlled shows to show menu screens (e.g. display each slide for x secs in Project Options Main tab). As this feature is not longer available (although Igor has said that he will re-instate it), we need some other technique to hold a menu slide until a particular choice is selected.

hi Jeff

I'm not sure if this is what you are after but if you didn't want to have sound in your menu you can try using the 'Stop at the end of this slide' found in the 'Main tab' in the 'customise' slide menu. I tried a show with this setting where I had 3 menu slides at the beginning of my show, each slide, through the use of buttons, enabling me to call each of the other slides as well as calling other exe's.

hope this helps

Kind regards

paul

Area of looping:

post-1-1180277759_thumb.jpg

Igor, that explains why my loop demo didn't work properly. My apologies for being so critical - I rearranged the timing of the slides, and everything works perfectly now. Thanks so much for this option - it is a great idea! Of course, my simple demo is not the best way to apply this feature - it is only to illustrate what is possible now. I've attached the new version.

loop_menu_demo.zip

hi Jeff

I'm not sure if this is what you are after but if you didn't want to have sound in your menu you can try using the 'Stop at the end of this slide' found in the 'Main tab' in the 'customise' slide menu. I tried a show with this setting where I had 3 menu slides at the beginning of my show, each slide, through the use of buttons, enabling me to call each of the other slides as well as calling other exe's.

hope this helps

Kind regards

paul

Paul,

Yes this is what I was after. I have a series of menu slides in my master show PTE file which call up individual shows. I have not yet converted this to Version 5 but was wondering how to hold each menu slide. You solution is the answer. Thanks

Jeff