WnSoft Forums

Beta 12 - 15

Den Shelley

I am a new user and new member.I purchased PTE 4.48 and produced 4 small slide shows which Iwas very pleased with. I then down loaded beta 12 for the extra facilities and found that all the transitions were very jerky - not smooth fades etc as I had got with 4.48. I have just downloaded beta 15 and to my dismay the transitions are still very jerky. Can someone please help. Is it me or the program?. If I go back to 4.48 it performs as smoothly as ever.

I am a new user and new member.I purchased PTE 4.48 and produced 4 small slide shows which Iwas very pleased with. I then down loaded beta 12 for the extra facilities and found that all the transitions were very jerky - not smooth fades etc as I had got with 4.48. I have just downloaded beta 15 and to my dismay the transitions are still very jerky. Can someone please help. Is it me or the program?. If I go back to 4.48 it performs as smoothly as ever.

Hi Den

I'm fairly new to version 5 and the program myself so this might be the blind leading the blind? but looks like all the experts are away today. A suggestion might be to turn on hardware acceleration in Project Options, Screen, and tick the box mark hardware acceleration. I don't know what system you are using but I know I could run 4.48 shows on my old Windows ME computer that does not want to know a show done on Version 5. So the specs might be a bit higher. I have taken over shows done on 4.48 to 5 beta 15 and if anything I would say they are better. Try ticking HA.

David

Hi Den,

You don't mention anything about your PC's spec and this could be a possible cause. Have a look at the discussion starting here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=35639

You could also try downloading one or two shows from the "Slide shows created in PictureToExe" part of the forum and seeing if they run smoothly or not. If they do not then it is pretty certain that your system is causing the problem.

Kind Regards

Peter

Hi,

I think for slower computers you should turn "off" hardware acceleration. This means you will not be able to use the new pan/zoom/rotate features, but your transistions should return to their normal ver. 4 speed (except mosaic I believe).

I would create three identical slideshows. One in ver. 4 and two in ver. 5 with hardware acceleration on and off to compare the performance. The page curl transistion would be a good test transistion.

post-2058-1180199051_thumb.jpg

What's your operating system, cpu, and graphics card?

Tom

Hi Tom Many thanks for your reply to my problem also thanks to Peter and David. I have 2 computers :- my desktop machine is Windows XP, processor - Athlon 64 3000, Graphics card is Radeon 9200 with 128 MB Ram Computer has 1GB DDR Ram.

My laptop is also Windows XP with Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz processor, 256 Mb Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics card, system Ram 2 Gb DDR.

I have tried turning Hardware acceleration of - this makes no difference on either machine. Iget identical results on both computers. I do'nt think I have a systems problem. If you can come up with any ideas I would be grateful. In the meantime I am going back to using 4.48 which gives me good results. I would like to be able to play around with the zoom and pan facility though. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Den Shelley

Hi Den,

What you might do is download a few slideshows from either here, or beechbrook.com or even my site and see if you get the jerky transitions on them as well.

There is a solution to the problem and I rather suspect it may have to do with something other than hardware such as another application running in the background which is interfering with hardware acceleration. In your case, either of the environments should be able to produce smooth transitions on version 5. Thousands of users have no problems so once hardware is generally ruled out that only leaves things such as anti-virus programs which generally don't use hardware acceleration, but also could be other programs.

My suggestion would be to temporarily disable all virus protection and any other programs running in background and try again. Then by re-introducing them one at a time you could find out what is causing the problem. Another "possible" issue is not having an upgraded video environment. DirectX issues could possibly cause this type symptom. If you go to the Start, Run then type in "dxdiag" and click O.K., then you can look at the information returned and see if you have a late version of DirectX.

This is an issue which "can" be solved.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tom Many thanks for your reply to my problem also thanks to Peter and David. I have 2 computers :- my desktop machine is Windows XP, processor - Athlon 64 3000, Graphics card is Radeon 9200 with 128 MB Ram Computer has 1GB DDR Ram.

My laptop is also Windows XP with Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz processor, 256 Mb Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics card, system Ram 2 Gb DDR.

I have tried turning Hardware acceleration of - this makes no difference on either machine. Iget identical results on both computers. I do'nt think I have a systems problem. If you can come up with any ideas I would be grateful. In the meantime I am going back to using 4.48 which gives me good results. I would like to be able to play around with the zoom and pan facility though. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Den Shelley

Hi Den,

PTE v5 works extremely well for lots of people with many different systems so I wouldn't give up yet. Lin Evans found, after a suggestion from Igor and in an earlier version of the beta (8 I think), that switching his sound card off and then back on again permanently cured a similar problem. I am not sure if Igor solved this problem in later betas but I am sure he will find an answer to your problem.

If you read previous posts you will see that most users are really impressed with the smoothness of transitions, pans and zooms so it has to be something connected with the way you are working or your system. The latter seems unlikely given your spec.

Have you tried other peoples shows yet? That would provide useful information for further follow up.

You could also post your show with the pte file and images zipped so that others could take a look and see if they have any suggestions as to what is causing the problem.

Kind Regards

Peter

Hi to all

Many thanks for your various suggestions

I will follow these through and go back to the drawing board to try to find the answer.What I would like to know is whether there is anything substancially different in version 5 over version 4.48 which could provoke the problem. As I have said before version 4.48 runs perfectly on both computers.

Perhaps I should also confirm that all pictures are resized to 1024 x 768 pixel jpeg @ 72 ppi.

I appreciate all of your help and will report back further in due course.

Regards to all - Den

Den,

It's exceptionally strange problem.

First moment, when you disable "Use hardware acceleration" option in Screen tab of Project option and create EXE file, simple transition effects (as Fade in/out) should work as in previous v4.48 Because it's almost same code.

Second, your PCs and video card should be quite enough for using "Hardware acceleration" mode and Pan/Zoom effects.

Even more, v5.00 and hardware acceleration makes even simple Fade transition effect better that in v4.48

I started full antivirus scanning on my PC and antivirus couldn't disturb to work of v5.00's slide show. Pan/Zoom effects played flawless during this process.

Please let me know how these demo work on your PC:

"Flowers" - http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/show/Flowers.zip (1.5 MB)

"PteShow" - http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/show/PteShow.zip (8 MB)

Peter,

Lin Evans found, after a suggestion from Igor and in an earlier version of the beta (8 I think), that switching his sound card off and then back on again permanently cured a similar problem. I am not sure if Igor solved this problem in later betas but I am sure he will find an answer to your problem.

Yes, we found full solution for this problem already in beta 13.

Den,

It's exceptionally strange problem.

First moment, when you disable "Use hardware acceleration" option in Screen tab of Project option and create EXE file, simple transition effects (as Fade in/out) should work as in previous v4.48 Because it's almost same code.

Second, your PCs and video card should be quite enough for using "Hardware acceleration" mode and Pan/Zoom effects.

Even more, v5.00 and hardware acceleration makes even simple Fade transition effect better that in v4.48

I started full antivirus scanning on my PC and antivirus couldn't disturb to work of v5.00's slide show. Pan/Zoom effects played flawless during this process.

Please let me know how these demo work on your PC:

"Flowers" - http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/show/Flowers.zip (1.5 MB)

"PteShow" - http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/show/PteShow.zip (8 MB)

Peter,

Yes, we found full solution for this problem already in beta 13.

Hi

Thanks for your latest

I have downloaded and run the 'flowers' demo and this seems to run quite smoothly. I have not tried the other one yet as I am not on broadband at this moment and it is quite a lengthy download.

To elaborate on the problem the jerkiness of the transitions is most noticable in simple fades which is what I tend to use most of the time. These were perfectly smooth in 4.48 and are very noticably jerky in Beta 15. Perhaps I should uninstall the Beta 15 and download it again as a new installation.

Best regards Den

Den,

What size of images (in pixels) you use in your slide show?

In "Flowers" demo with simple Fade effect I used 1024x768 JPEG images.

Maybe you use large images directly from digital camera? It can be reason of this and other problems (large size of EXE file, long loading).

Of course, more fast video like Radeon 9600 or Geforce 5700 can handle 8 Mpixel images with 75 frames per second, but Geforce 7300 is not enough fast for this.

why @ 72 ppi.

that is a myth

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4760

some of the links may not work but try 'em

ken

Thanks for this Ken

It is something I get confused about I have just scan a show of 35mm slides in at target size 1024 x 768 with resolution 200dpi so didn't need to? or did I for small slides? If I understand what I have read in the links I didn't if only showing on screen.

Answering some questions I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask. Thanks

David

I should a little correct my previous words. If "Hardware acceleration" option disabled and slides don't use any Pan/Zoom effects or animation, Fade effect should works with same speed and smoothness as v4.48 and for any source images (1024x768 or large 3500x2300).

David

"in at target size 1024 x 768 with resolution 200dpi so didn't need to? or did I for small slides? If I understand what I have read in the links I didn't if only showing on screen."

you can resize to 1024/768 but you are making extra work for yourself worring about going down to 72 dpi

if you go to the cottage and get my early demo

VER 5 B4 PAN_ZOOM DEMO

File Size: 10.8M

By: pbyk@sympatico.ca

Download Count: 970

Author's Notes

Author's PTE Presentation Notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presentation Name: VER 5 B4 PAN_ZOOM DEMO

Download Count: 970

File Size: 10.8M

Contributor: KEN COX

Contributor's Email: pbyk@sympatico.ca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: 3:16 AM 8/15/2006 WATERFRONT SHOW REV 2 32 slides 1024 / 768 slides were resized previously with ezthumbs - smart algorithim setting picts range in size 110 to 200 kb wih 2 google picts +- 800 kb 2 - mp3 songs - total time 5:33 the exe size is +- 11.3 mb time interval for new slides 8 sec effect duration 4000 Aspect Ratio for a slide 4:3 PC/DVD Selected video - HD_1080 - smart anti flicker - auto interlaced - sound fading 500 ms Nero 6.6 suite -- Nero VisionExpress 3 - 2 pass and all format settings to auto appprox burn time > 4 hrs 99% of the wiggles/jaggies eliminated when shown on 4:3 standard NTSC tv's

we are getting there - have viewed same on a 100" screen from an Epson projector fed from a Denon dvd player and show was smooth and sharp

ken

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/downloadfile.asp?id=1350

the picts are 99% 144 dpi as taken by camera

partial exif data

ImageDescription - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Make - OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD

Model - E-20,E-20N,E-20P

XResolution - 144

YResolution - 144

ResolutionUnit - Inch

Software - 29-1104

DateTime - 2006:05:24 09:18:55

ken

I should a little correct my previous words. If "Hardware acceleration" option disabled and slides don't use any Pan/Zoom effects or animation, Fade effect should works with same speed and smoothness as v4.48 and for any source images (1024x768 or large 3500x2300).

Many thanks for your latest advice. I am not at this stage using any pan or zoom - just simple fades.

I have read the various replies and suggestions and have decided to start afresh from the beginning with a completely new slide show ans see how I get on.

If I still experience a probliem I shal come back to the forum.

In the meantime many thanks to all involved. You are certainly a very friendly and helpful bunch.

Regards Den Shelley

Hello All - here I am again. I have solved MY problem of jerky transitions. I say 'my' problem because I seem to have created it.

The temptation was to hide my shame and not return to the forum but I feel I owe it to all you helpful people to explain and apologise if I have wasted your valuable time. I rather doubt whether I have turned up something new.

To put the record straight - I am 72 years old with my own hair and teeth and I thought with all my faculties. It now appears I am a bit short in the lateral thinking department and also in seeing the blindingly obvious dept.

This is it :-

I purchased PTE Version 4.48 and produced a few slide shows which I was very pleased with. Wanting to expand furtherI downloaded Beta 12 and then later Beta 15. With both versions I opened, from a remote hard disc, a project that I had started in PTE 4.48 and encountered the bad jerky transitions which I had not experienced previously. I tried various suggestions from the forum to no avail.

Beleive it or not it did not occur to me to try starting a new project in the new program. I have now started a new project in Beta 15 and it is running perfectly. I now plan to learn the mysteries of panning and zooming watch this space).

I wrongly assumed that a 4.48 project would run OK. I suppose I had no reason to think otherwise.

There you are. At least all this helps to keep the old grey matter workng (or not).

Sorry for all the trouble.

Regards to all - Den

Den,

For me it's always useful to learn which problems may occur on PCs of users of PicturesToExe, because not only you could have similar difficulty. Thank you for let me know.

If it possible please tell in more details. Did you create EXE file with slide show on network drive and run it? Or you created project which used images from network drive and then pressed Preview button?

Den,

For me it's always useful to learn which problems may occur on PCs of users of PicturesToExe, because not only you could have similar difficulty. Thank you for let me know.

If it possible please tell in more details. Did you create EXE file with slide show on network drive and run it? Or you created project which used images from network drive and then pressed Preview button?

Igor

I did not create an EXE file I was just compiling tha slide show from pics on the network drive and using preview button.I am pleased to think that I may have been some help to another lost sole

Many thanks and regards

Den

Thank you, I will know now about this moment with network drives.

It's not your mistake, I didn't expect that this problem may occur, but probably some network drive may work slowely or chipset on motheboard or network drivers have some problem.

Another thought from a PTE newby but a computer oldie. How are you running your jerky shows? If they are jerky in Preview or from an .exe file on your hard drive, then ignore this post. If, however, you are running the show from a CD or DVD, then you may have problems with the read speed and software decoding of the DVD program file. Have a look in Device Manager\ IDE/ATA/ATAPI settings and verify that your CD/DVD is using DMA access and not PIO. PIO seriously limits the performance of your CD/DVD drive.

Colin