WnSoft Forums

The PTE Default Template Folder

Ive always use the Templates feature in PTE.

Why always start from scratch building a new show when you can use a previously made show that you have already setup with your favorite/often used settings ? The purpose of Templates is to speed up production. I would not go the route of making every show a template ... proper file management is still a necessity.

Users should not confuse the use of templates and zip creation features in PTE. Zips should be considered as intended ... a safe backup copy.

Two major points to remember when using Templates :

- Open your Templates Manager first and set your templates folder location.

- Always best to open your saved/created template from within PTEs file menu-tab/dropdown Templates list.

This assures the file settings/contents is not accidentally overwritten ... by clicking Save it options you with a Save popup window. If you just open your .pte template file by double-click you can lose your previously saved/created settings when you just Save the file.

Ron ... I commend you on this great service which will inform new users on this often unknown and unused PTE feature.

The purpose of Templates is to speed up production. I would not go the route of making every show a template ... proper file management is still a necessity.

Hi nobeefstu,

Nice to hear that you always use (and undersand) the Templates option.

Speeding up production is not the primary reason for using this option however. I think that it's primary use is to create a 'work in progress' situation where all of your images, sound files (used in the slide show) are saved in a special folder. I always use the Templates option to make a folder of EVERY slide show and then I copy the finished .exe slide show into this folder and then I copy the whole folder to a DVD backup.

I still intend to make a tutorial on the Templates option so that everyone can have a chance of seeing just how useful this particular feature is.

Ron.

Well...... (looking down, toes pointed anxiously at each other), I really should back up, but don't. I have never tried saving a template, because it always sounded too much like MSWORD templates which I hate. Maybe I tried it once back about version 2.0 (?), but I didn't know what it did, so promptly ignored it. Can we call it something else? I know someday there will be a terrible disappointment, if I don't back up. On the bright side, I do back up all finished slideshows.

Once I have finished a project I like to leave it alone, Its done, and I am off to the next thing. I have some old shows that were very very simple. Oh, and remember the "Dance the Macarena" slide show? I still have it and love it, but still can't reproduce what they did in that show. Just enjoy the nostalgia and move into the future.

Bottom line, I could probably figure it out on my own, but haven't. I value the tutorials you folks have made hugely (even though I hate manuals in general--I like to learn the hard way). So if you make one, I for one will be grateful.

jk

Well...... (looking down, toes pointed anxiously at each other), I really should back up, but don't. I have never tried saving a template, because it always sounded too much like MSWORD templates which I hate. Maybe I tried it once back about version 2.0 (?), but I didn't know what it did, so promptly ignored it. Can we call it something else? I know someday there will be a terrible disappointment, if I don't back up. On the bright side, I do back up all finished slideshows.

jk

Its really fast, simple, and painless to Back-Up your show files ... just click Create Back-Up in Zip from the File Menu.

If your not too happy with the Template label/phrase ... open your (*language.ini) in the PTE folder and edit any Template text contained that is shown on the right side of the = sign only, with your own text. This way anybody can call it what they want if they so desire.

*** Please make a backup copy of your (*language.ini) prior to editing just in case.

Its really fast, simple, and painless to Back-Up your show files ... just click Create Back-Up in Zip from the File Menu.

If your not too happy with the Template label/phrase ... open your (*language.ini) in the PTE folder and edit any Template text contained that is shown on the right side of the = sign only, with your own text. This way anybody can call it what they want if they so desire.

*** Please make a backup copy of your (*language.ini) prior to editing just in case.

Hey just hold on there! Tampering with the .ini file can cause problems unless you really know what you are doing.

As far as backing up files are concerned, I agree that the 'Back up Zip' option is very good but remember to capy it to an EXTERNAL media such as a CD or DVD to ensure a real back-up.

I would also point out that the 'Template' option is much more than a back-up facility - it is a 'Work in Progree' fail safe.

Ron

I have noticed that some users are having difficulty in finding the 'Templates' folder, usually because they have not switched on the 'display hidden files and folder' option in Windows Explorer. I am prompted to ask this question "How many of you actually use the default folder, or have you changed the default and moved the PTE Templates to a different folder and drive on your computer?

I ask this because I have been asked if I would produce a pdf tutorial on how to find and then move the folder.

My own preference is to leave the default folder where it is and just create another folder on another drive and then periodically copy all PTE templates from the default folder to this new folder. This prevents the loss of those precious templates in the event of a 'CRASH'

Please let me have your opinjions!

Ron West

Ron, thanks for all you do for the forum.

I have v5 installed, but I use the old 4.8, I just haven't grasped all the stuff in v.5.

Thanks again,robertg

Ron, thanks for all you do for the forum.

I have v5 installed, but I use the old 4.8, I just haven't grasped all the stuff in v.5.

Thanks again,robertg

Hello Robertg,

Thankyou for the kind remarks.

If you are new to version 5 and are a little apprehensive about trying the new features, please visit the Tutorials Page on my web site where you will find some (free) very easy (and simple to follow) tutorials to have a go with.

Ron