WnSoft Forums

The PTE Default Template Folder

I have noticed that some users are having difficulty in finding the 'Templates' folder, usually because they have not switched on the 'display hidden files and folder' option in Windows Explorer. I am prompted to ask this question "How many of you actually use the default folder, or have you changed the default and moved the PTE Templates to a different folder and drive on your computer?

I ask this because I have been asked if I would produce a pdf tutorial on how to find and then move the folder.

My own preference is to leave the default folder where it is and just create another folder on another drive and then periodically copy all PTE templates from the default folder to this new folder. This prevents the loss of those precious templates in the event of a 'CRASH'

Please let me have your opinjions!

Ron West

Hi Ron,

When I started testing with v5 I got confused as to where it was putting the template files (it uses a different file structure from v4.48).

However, to be perfectly honest with you, since discovering the 'create backup to zip' option in v5 I haven't found the need to use template option at all. It appears to save all the same information in a handy zip file and I haven't found any problems with using them - it also asks you where you want to save the zip file which makes it a bit more user-friendly.

Keith

Hi Ron I have a folder on a seperate drive called Digital AV, then sub folders inside one for each AV, containing all the images, music and any photoshop masters I may use for that AV. To be honest I don't use the template or zip backup options, but backup to CD (or DVD) disc every so often, because I feel that any backup or template which stays on the computer even if it's on a seperate drive is still too much at risk.

regards

Geoff

Once I finally figured out where version 5 was storing the templates, I immediately re-set the location within P2E to a structure similar to the one in 4.48. Personally, I try not to purposely put anything under "Documents and Settings". I like to create my own structures where I want them to be.

Somewhere down the road, it would be nice to have something in the actual installation routine allowing the user to specify a choice of where to store templates.

There have been 160 views made of this post but only 4 of you have bothered to reply. That is sad! I spend an awful lot of time producing stuff for this forum and your replies to any questions only serve to keep me motivated. It does help to know that you folks will bother and make the effort to respond sometimes. <_<

Well it is Monday morning, so I will stop moaning now.

Ron

Hi Ron

I use the template system in the default location, but also back this up onto CD/DVD as required. I have considered moving the templates to another location on my drive(s) but once I became use to finding it where it is - no problem.

I also always keep a separate folder for each AV which contains the template and different versions and alternative audio files and related materials which may be useful if revising the production at a later date.

DEN (NE UK)

Hi Ron

Maybe like me many don't use templates that might explain the low show rating. Your question suggests your looking for answers from people who use templates not those that don't.

So maybe your question has been answered by default.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Ron

Maybe like me many don't use templates that might explain the low show rating. Your question suggests your looking for answers from people who use templates not those that don't.

So maybe your question has been answered by default.

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

No I don't think that my question has been answered by default, I askes "how many of you use the template feature" this required an answer of either yes I use it or no I don't use it. Some members have replied and have been good enough to explain just why they do not use the feature and that is a bonus.

Anyway, enough said, clearly there is insufficient suport, so the intended tutorial (that I was going to make) can now be abandoned.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The poor response to your initial request may simply be that people aren't using templates (or the new zip backup feature) because they don't know what they do or how useful they can be.

So before you lose heart, maybe the question should have been "How many people understand what the template feature is, and how useful it can be?" and then to ask "Would anyone like a pdf tutorial explaining these facilities?".

Regards,

KEITH

Hi Ron

sorry I haven't replied sooner.

To answer your question I have never used the 'Templates' option before, basically because I had no idea what it was for and I had never taken the time to find out.

When I have created shows in the past,I have kept all my images, music files, project and created exe all in the same folder and then when I had finished I backed this folder up to a drive other than my main system drive.

However, now you have asked this question I have had a quick look at the 'templates' and Back up to zip option' and of the two I would probably use the'Back up to zip' option, in either case though, I would always choose to back up to a disk other than my system drive.

Kind regards

paul

Ron.

To answer your question I have never used the 'Templates' option before, basically because I had no idea what it was for and I had never taken the time to find out.

Same here.

I use a separate folder with copies of all the images for each show, the PTE file and a sub folder with the associated sound files and notes in it.

Then I save all my EXE files to the one folder and keep a copy of this folder in off computer backup storage. Currently there is 27 files in this folder with no problems.

Ron

I must admit you've made me feel guilty for not at least saying I don't understand what you mean by templates.

I have been rather busy lately and just browsing the forum from time to time on the odd down time.

But I have appreciated your tutorials and those of Doms and Lin's lately in understanding Pte. I am fairly new to digital and PTE and have not got many shows but the ones I have I used a folder to store my images and .pte files, latest and working versions, the Exe file and a sub folder for my sound. I have not had time yet to play around with more complex (wrong word perhaps, involved might be better?) parts of the program. Confusious say Pte especially version 5 is like an onion peel a layer and there's more underneath (deep).

David

Guest Techman1

Ron,

Hello. I typically just leave the templates in the default location and then copy them to another drive/directory whenever I create something that needs a backup.

Regards,

Fred

Well I seem to have rattled some of you into action (please forgive me). It is as I thought, most people do not seem to have used the 'Templates' or 'Back up to zip' feature because they quite simply haven't found out just how useful it can be. That is why I had thought to make a tutorial on the subject in the first place. Some of your recent replies have re-insired me to do just that!

When you have been shown how to use this feature, you will wonder how you managed without it - it really is a lifesaver, especially if you have a computer crash or move your image files to a different folder after having made a PTE Project.

Wait for the tutorial and you will see what I mean.

Ron

There have been 160 views made of this post but only 4 of you have bothered to reply. That is sad! I spend an awful lot of time producing stuff for this forum and your replies to any questions only serve to keep me motivated. It does help to know that you folks will bother and make the effort to respond sometimes. <_<

Ron

Ron

Ron, I would greatly appreciate a tutorial on Templates and how to use them. I have been aware of templates i.e. in the FILE menu, from my first exporation of P2E interface but did not appreciate their significance or how they were used. I am sure I am not on my own and venture to speak for the many by asking you please continue with your planned tutorial.

Heath Ranger

I am prompted to ask this question "How many of you actually use the default folder, or have you changed the default and moved the PTE Templates to a different folder and drive on your computer?

Although I have no problems finding the default folder nor the PTE templates folder, I don't use these standard folders as I'm used to having my own drive structure and organisation.

I don't like storing data on the same drive as softwares; besides, I don't like mixing sounds and pictures in the same folder - this is why I don't use the "Templates" function, although convenient it may be, but with Sy(P) it's so easy to organise PTE files, even if they are spread over different external disk drives !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Heathranger,

You seem to have 'double Posted' your reply and have just repeated my posting - I cannot see that you have made any kind of reply. Perhaps you would delete both double postings and have another go at making your comments.

Ron

Ron,

I have been out of touch for the past few days and have only today seen your post.

You will perhaps remember making a plea for the use of templates on my topic of 26th June ""Project File Management". Needless to say I have now been convinced that this is the way forward as far as I am concerned.

However as there is also a need for the ZIP option don't you think is may be appreciated by the many "unenlightened" if you were to give an explanation of the differences, advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'm sure everybody would appreciate that.

I for one have benefited from your tutorials in the past and certainly look forward to this one

Thanks for your time and devotion to the cause!

John

Hi Ron,

There was another thread at http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=43385

where Templates were mentioned. I added the following post and Brian kindly replied (his reply is also copied below). I assumed, perhaps unwisely that you had seen this, but I think it shows I would benefit from a tutorial too! So yes please :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Peter

I had never come across this "Template" idea before so thanks to all those who have brought it to my attention. But it seems a most odd term to use. Surely it is not a "Template" is it ? It just seems like a copy of all the files relevant to a project. If you keep all the files in a specific folder it is just as easy to make a copy of that folder. Have I missed some important aspect of this "Template"?

Kind Regards

Peter

Peter,

Yes,in essence you are quite correct ~ it does appear as if its a Copy Folder ~ but the comparison stops there.

The Template is a non-exe carbon-copy of your "Work in Progress" or indeed the entire data contents of a Show which is automatically-created together with its crucial .pte File containing the 'script instructions' needed to re-generate the data content back to the PTE.Program so it can process this data into a working Model.

There after you create an Exe.File which runs as a dynamic Program, viz:- "Your Slideshow".

Template's gives you the ability to 'copy' and store them where you like with the certain knowledge that the

contained .pte File will always find the Main PTE Program provided it can get access to it via the PC.Databus

which is nearly 100% foolproof. In comparison if you copy a .pteFile into a Show Folder and move that Folder

then its almost certain that you will loose the connectivity with the PTE.Program which happened to John.

The .pte File within the 'Copy Template' (no matter where that is) will always re-load your Project back into

the PTE.Program and will re-open the Program in its entirety.

No excuses made in trying to keep the explaination simple...

Brian.Conflow.