WnSoft Forums

DMR Protected music

mightec

How can I use DMR Protected music downloaded from the net in my PTE slideshows, is there a legal way of converting the files for private use to MP3?

How can I use DMR Protected music downloaded from the net in my PTE slideshows, is there a legal way of converting the files for private use to MP3?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. I understand that DRM protection refers to technologies used by publishers or copyright holders to control access to or usage of digital data or hardware, and is not to be confused with copyright protection. Changing the format of the music controlled by DRM to MP3 would be illegal, I should imagine, but the jury is out on whether DRM is interfering with your normal rights to enjoy the music to which you bought a license.

In any event, if you play the tracks as the DRM permits on your computer, there is nothing to stop you using a capture program such as a sound editor like Goldwave or Audition to record the tracks as they are played. It is probably illegal according to the strict letter of the law, but for strictly private use I don't think anyone will complain, and of course using tracks from copyright CDs is done by almost all show makers.

If you are selling your work to clients, you should look at buying a license from whatever performing arts body there is in your area or country, which will enable you to legally use commercial tracks.

This is a thorny area, and considerable coverage is available on the ProShow forum about music copyrights, and also about websites that offer copyright-free music to use without worry.

Colin

Mike

What you need is Tunebite that is perfectly legal

For a demo

http://www.tunebite.com/download.php

This is the email sent to me

You have purchased Tunebite Premium a long time ago. To this day, the legal

situation regarding copy protection has not changed: It is still your legal

right to re-record DRM protected music in order to savor unprotected files

for private use.

Chris

DRM is a ridiculous concept. It simply doesn't work as it's so easy to get round that anyone who really wants to make unprotected versions can do so, which means that DRM is just an inconvenience to the purchaser.

As Chris has said, Tunebite will do the job perfectly. I use it to get standard MP3 files from stuff I've bought on iTunes so I can play them on my MP3 player.

Another option is to burn the music to CD and then "rip" the CD using Audiograbber (or even Windows Media Player).

This is all fine for private use only - you need to be careful about making shows available to a wider audience if they include copyrighted music.

These sites have freely downloadable music that you can use in your shows without restriction.

http://www.incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

http://derekaudette.ottawaarts.com/music.php

Gareth

Colin/Chris/Gareth

Thank you very much for your responses, I fully understand the need to protect the artist, my need was to simply use the material for my own private use. I had tried Tunebite and other software programmes and also tried to create an audio CD but all was prevented by a failure in the Codex on my computer. In the end I had to remove Windows Media Player 11 and re-install which seems to have overcome the problem with the Codex. I have now successfully been able to create an audio CD then rip this and create an mp3 file which I can use in PTE.

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your sentiments about "Performing Rights" and "Music Copyright" and as far as I am concerned I see nothing wrong with using Music Tracks for purely "Personal Usage" ~ don't we pay enough TV & Radio and Performing Licences already ??

Here below is a "Snapshot" of Audio-Recorder Pro and a "Link" to its Website ~ This Recorder does ALL that you require in one package.

Brian.Conflow.

http://www.ezaudiorecorder.com

Snapshot:-

post-1416-1183295521_thumb.jpg

Chris

Please to hear that you are getting a lot from PTEv5.0, I also like the program, I was using ProShow Producer but find the capablility of PTE so much greater.

Brian

Thanks for the link, I have had a brief look, will give it a try. Cheers

Hi,

Perhaps I am being pedantic but can I ask you folks how you would define "own use","personal usage" etc?

We all like to make AV's and perhaps some of us have even used copyright music from time to time! I'm fairly certain these criminals whoever they may be, have actually shown their work to people other than their most trusted friends and family and not always behind closed and bolted doors. Perhaps some of these shows have even been shown at camera and AV club meetings to people whose friendship and trust may be in doubt! Some may even have been watched by members of this illustrious forum!

Your views would be interesting and hopefully enlightening and may be recorded here or delivered in an un marked brown envelope!

Regards and I look forward to your opinions.

John (That's an alias)

Hi

The material that I am using was purchased, I am using it like any other music for my own entertainment, plus that of family and friends. John, don't be so Scottish and hide yourself away, lets have your real name and number.

Hi,

Perhaps I am being pedantic but can I ask you folks how you would define "own use","personal usage" etc?

<snip>

John (That's an alias)

Well, my personal definition may not necessarily coincide with the author's ideas of copyright and unlawful use but I consider it ok to use purchased music in shows that I have control of. If I am showing an AV, whether it be at home, or a family gathering, or at my camera club - which incidentally I don't think is 'public' since only members and intending members can attend - as long as I am in control of the AV it's ok with me.

What I don't do is sell AVs with copyright music.

I do have a bit of a problem with the stranglehold the music industry has on its products. Imagine if you had to pay a royalty to the manufacturer every time you took a drive in your car with passengers, or used your microwave/dishwasher/TV to cook for other people than yourself. I'm not sure if this new idea here is worldwide, but artists are now talking about claiming a royalty every time one of their artworks is on-sold.

It has been said in another forum that the music industry just ignores such use, as it is just impractical to go after everyone that makes an AV for private use. That sounds sensible to me.

Colin

I assume (?) it's OK to let my family listen to a CD that I purchased, even though the kids didn't actually buy it.

I assume it's OK to let my friend who comes for tea and listen to my new CD, even if she did not buy the CD.

I don't struggle with much guilt when I rip a CD for my mp3 player.

I assume there is not too much guilt if my friend and I share a pair of headphones and listen to the ripped mp3 together.

I assume that if I put some pretty pictures together to look at while I listen to the music with my friend that I am not stealing anything.

I also think that if I was a struggling musician (or a rich musician) and someone rationalized a way (even in gray areas) to cheat me out of money I worked hard to earn, that I would think what they did was wrong.

If someone uses copyrighted music to sell or advertise their own product, or make any kind of profit; that seems like stealing to me. But what if you use copyrighted music in a slideshow used to raise awareness for orphans? Or to obtain funding for among your neighbors for the republican party (or tupperware)? What if you put together wedding pictures for friends (for free), but you realize your friends are likely to reproduce and share quite a few copies?

Well I don't do that, so now that I stirred the bee's nest, I'll just skip along now.

Probably common sense, an honest conscience, and the Golden Rule are pretty good guides. If you are worried what you are doing might be pushing "fair use" to far, or if you worried about who might come through a bolted door, then you probably shouldn't do it. Set a standard and then keep it for yourself. There will always be someone else taking more liberty than you do, but "someone else" isn't the standard. The rationalization slope is very slippery in my experience.

5 cents worth

jk

JK

Thanks for your 5 cents worth, I agree with much of what you have said, now I think the matter is all done. I only wanted to know how I could use my purchased music in PTE, now I know, thanks everyone.

Its amazing how this topic recirculates every so often. :rolleyes:

The music industry seems to have injected the Fear Factor so well they have many users nowadays even afraid to discuss this topic openly.

But we must beware ... they are the shepards and we are the goats ... occassionally they must select a few of us goats for slaughter so as to keep the fires burning and please the gods. :unsure:

History might even portray this time and age as the Music Inquisition !