WnSoft Forums

Imaginary "virus" Again?

lightning98

My Norton Antivirus just ran a scan and once again many of my pte .exe files were tagged with a "virus". Since this happened once before I assume this can be resolved without having to delete any files. Has anyone else experienced this? The files in question were all created with a much earlier version.. 3.5 I think.

Kerry

Boca Raton

The name of the virus is called Trojan Suomia

Guest guru
The name of the virus is called Trojan Suomia
...exactly like the other one.

It is highly probable that the problem is the same as the last time, also because "infected" file are just the same ones again!

you had better change the settings on your Norton then before you lose more stuff then -- it took them over a week to staighten things out last time

I emailed Igor direct so he can jump on this

igor@wnsoft.com

support@wnsoft.com

better keep these addies in your address books to save time

ken

I just got a email back from Norton and am going through the same thing as last time it happened. They told me that either my Norton is not functioning correctly or that I need to do a virus removal. Do these people not listen!!!! :)

It seems, just as last time that WnSoft themselves will have to get in touch with them to get any thing done about this. And maybe they can stop this from happening again!

I excuse for this problem!

In previous case (it was v3.65) we've received a quick fix and apologizes from Symantec (authors of NAV).

Please, as soon as possible let me know three points:

1) Is it the newest update of Norton Antivirus?

2) What is PTE's version of produced presentations? Will our examples of presentations (e.g. http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/starwars.zip) created in v4.00 labeled as "a virus"?

3) What is the "virus" name?

Luckily now we have direct email address of the NAV developers and I hope to solve this problem quickly.

p.s. my newest update (May 24, 2003) of Kaspersky Antivirus don't show any false detectings.

I have a older version of Pictures To Exe version 3.60

The virus name is the same as the last time Trojan Worm Suomia

Probably a recent update..my Norton updates automatically and

could of done it while i was away from computer...but it looks like the problem is showing up about the same time as the other folks so I would assume it was a live update we all got

Guest guru

Igor:

1) Before the last update (20030523), as far as I know, no virus was detected by Norton Antivirus.

2) Only 3.60 - 3.65, as it seems, but not all. Presentations made with 3.70 - 3.80 - 4.0x appear NOT infected, and also all antecedent ones (e.g. all EXE made by the first PTE users: Tony Fernandez, yourself etc.).

Of 1430 checked PTE exe's, only 34 appear "infected".

3) The name of "virus" is Trojan.Suomia.

I've checked up my PC with newest update of Norton Antivirus and it marks presentations created with PicturesToExe v3.60 as "a virus".

But it's a mistake, of course, no viruses there!

I just sent a mail to the internal email address of Norton Antivirus developers and post here about their response.

Hmmm... and I thought it was just me... Same problem here... Norton thinks mu PTE .exe files have this same virus. Funny because these files have lived on my PC for some time now and it is only in the last couple days that Norton reported an "infection." This thing must be date sensitive huh??

-- Rick

Hi guys,

I know this isn't a "cure," but it is a way to sort of have your cake and eat it too. Throw Norton away and get AVG (it's free) which has no problems with the code and works as well or better than Norton for me.

I'll knock on wood.... but I've been using AVG for an extended period (since it was introduced) and it's detected and caught numerous viruses and I've yet to be infected while protected by it. My web usage is huge - and in our email alone we probably receive an average of five or six (we get hundreds of emails daily) virus attempts daily.

Lin

I have received a response from developers of Norton Antivirus.

They're apologizing for this trouble and promised add the fix in update of NAV during two days. Maybe even tomorrow on Wednesday.

As temporary fix, please don't use PTE v3.60 (released more than 2 years ago) and recompile your presentations with v4.01 (or v3.80)

p.s. I think that different mistakes may happen with any software, not only with NAV.

Thank you Igor for attending to this situation. Since this has happened before with presentations made with a much earlier version, do I understand correctly that if I take the .pte file of each one and re "create" that this will produce the same file but in the latest version? I just want to check before trying. I realize that this will only help with my files and will not affect those that I saved which were created by other people.

Again, thanks

Kerry

Boca Raton, FL