WnSoft Forums

Mexico 2007

Hemjr

I am sharing this slide show with some reservations. It is sort of a documentary of the week our church spent in Piedras Negras, Mexico during the third week of June. I volunteered to do a slide show of the week to share with the group on the last night at the end of the week. There were several individuals taking pictures and I attempted to use some of each persons shots with the show lasting about 15 or 20 minutes. They would share the shots with me each night. I ended up with a show containing about 167 pictures. Version 5 was used and the shots were resized to reduce the size of the exe file. I made DVD's to share with the participants and quite a few had problems with the DVD. Some had the DVD to freeze during the show. And the same person at other times had the DVD play successfully. Limited time was available during the week to work on the show, so late nights were called for.

I am pictured in the slide that shows a head shot that fades into a head shot at a different angle with the caption "Uugly Hat" circling in. We joked during the week about ugly hats.

http://www.mediafire.com/?13vttgr1cwm

Comments are welcome. Thanks

Howard

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations Howard !

Your presentation evidences a wonderful experience for you and your group and especially for the thankful family with the new home! I remember from your comments on shows I've done of our similar experiences in Peru, that you were involved in such great projects. Now it is nice to see your PTE presentation of such.

I understand your "reluctance" to post the show, but I'm glad you did. The beauty of PTE is that is continues to be useful at so many different levels and different formats. In your case, the "event" you portray, is what is important. For any presentation you want the show to be watchable and enjoyable, but there are "demos" in great number that we all appreciate for their purpose too.

I think you realize, as I think I do, that your intended audience for this type of show "requires" a show so long, that most outsiders (and some insiders) will lose interest. So I think it is a real skill for the show producer to determine the right length for his audience and purpose. I don't think there is a single right answer, but knowing your audience and their interest level must be the main factor. I, like you, have often "used" these "too long" presentations to bring more business to Igor. Right now, I am helping a photographer friend who is a new convert to PTE. He has a group experience of Egypt and Israel that he is wrapping up. This (his first use of PTE) is about 700 slides and lasts just over an hour. Will his group like it? They will love it. Will some sleep in it? Most likely.

Regarding a couple of techniques you used -

The scrolling list of participants might be better at the end of the presentation. My preference would be to let the "plot" get a running start and then credit the participants at the end for their fine contributions.

Your animated text interjections - I like them in this presentation. I think they would be too "gimmicky" for many presentations, but work well in your show for "insiders" and offer frequent "breaks" in a long, predictable, story with few "surprises."

Bottom line for me: You enjoyed doing the good work and I enjoyed seeing what you all did. Thanks for sharing.

LumenLux,

Thanks for your comments. I was about to think that no one was going to give me any constructive criticism. I agree that the list of participants would be better at the end. The animated text is only understood by those on the trip and was to bring back some of the humor on the work site. As you mentioned, the show was really designed for those on the trip, thus my reluctance to share.

With the new features in PTE it takes real will power to "hold back".

By the way, I would love to see your friends work from Egypt and especially Israel. We visited Israel several years ago and really want to go back again.

Thanks again for your reply.

Howard