WnSoft Forums

Stopping child zooming

MarioG

Hi everyone,

I have parent zooming in from 0 to 90 secs, the child of this parent fades in at 30 secs which obiously assumes the

zoom settings of the parent. Is it possible to stop the child at 60 secs and remain static on the screen while the parent continues

on to the end (90secs)?

I'm thinking this can't be done, and the child must be deleted and brought in as a parent.

What is the best way to fade in a slide before the previous slide finishes?

Can someone point me to a tutorial on exactly this?

Mario

Mario, for the child object, add 2 keypoints for the child object to compensate the zooming of the parent :

- one at 60 second : unchanged compared to the first keypoint

- one at 90 seconds : change the zooming

Hope it helps.

Hi Dom thanks for the reply, but you are assuming I've been at this longer than five minutes.

I tried your way best I could but the child didn't stop, just kept going.

When you say add one (not clone) at 60 secs and one at 90 secs is it the child that's selected when I'm doing this?

Also, "one at 90 secs: change zoom" are you actually telling me to change the zoom and if so to what, back to 100.

I'll hunt around some more for a step by step.

Mario

Hi Dom thanks for the reply, but you are assuming I've been at this longer than five minutes.

I tried your way best I could but the child didn't stop, just kept going.

When you say add one (not clone) at 60 secs and one at 90 secs is it the child that's selected when I'm doing this?

Also, "one at 90 secs: change zoom" are you actually telling me to change the zoom and if so to what, back to 100.

I'll hunt around some more for a step by step.

Mario

Mario

Could you not seperate them as parent and child and animate them independantly. You can add the same animation settings to what was the child, but have the flexibility to stop that part of the enimation when you wanted.?

Just clik into the Objects and Animation screen after adding the parent to lose the bounding box, then add what was the child.

Would that work?

...Is it possible to stop the child at 60 secs and remain static on the screen while the parent continues

on to the end (90secs)?

Mario,

This is quite simple if you are using linear panning and zooming - just give the child the opposite pan and/or zoom values from those of the parent, at the point where you want it to stop. This method is also effectively used where you want the child to remain upright while the parent rotates.

Hi Mario,

It's easy enough to do this as theDom suggested. Let me clarify a bit in detail. Since the child inherits the parent's zoom but can have it's own animation, what must be done to "apparently" stop the zoom is from the one minute keypoint the child must zoom "out" at the same rate the parent is zooming "in".

So what you would do is note the parent's zoom numbers and the child's zoom numbers at 60 seconds. Then note the parent's zoom number at 90 seconds. Calculate the zoom difference for the parent at between 60 and 90 seconds and apply that amount of change to the zoom "out" of the child at 90 seconds. Remember that if you set the child's end zoom figures to exactly the same as they were at 60 seconds, the child will still be larger to the degree that the parent increases in size even though the numbers don't change. That is, cloning the child at 60 seconds and moving the cloned keypoint to 90 seconds will not give you the desired result, you must increment the zoom out of the child by the same percentage of change as the zoom in of the parent from 60 to 90 seconds.

As Barry suggested, unless there are specific reasons why you want to keep the parent/child relationship, it would be much simpler to just make them separate objects on the slide.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mario,

It's easy enough to do this as theDom suggested. Let me clarify a bit in detail. Since the child inherits the parent's zoom but can have it's own animation, what must be done to "apparently" stop the zoom is from the one minute keypoint the child must zoom "out" at the same rate the parent is zooming "in".

So what you would do is note the parent's zoom numbers and the child's zoom numbers at 60 seconds. Then note the parent's zoom number at 90 seconds. Calculate the zoom difference for the parent at between 60 and 90 seconds and apply that amount of change to the zoom "out" of the child at 90 seconds. Remember that if you set the child's end zoom figures to exactly the same as they were at 60 seconds, the child will still be larger to the degree that the parent increases in size even though the numbers don't change. That is, cloning the child at 60 seconds and moving the cloned keypoint to 90 seconds will not give you the desired result, you must increment the zoom out of the child by the same percentage of change as the zoom in of the parent from 60 to 90 seconds.

As Barry suggested, unless there are specific reasons why you want to keep the parent/child relationship, it would be much simpler to just make them separate objects on the slide.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I read your reply on the 25th I don't know how many times, but didn't make sense to me, all this zoom in zoom out stuff.

Read it again on the 26th still seemed confusing. It was the child zooming in to compensate for the parents zooming out that got me wich

still left me non the wiser.

Read it again this morning 27th and it finally dawned on me what you were trying to say, although I haven't tried it yet it somehow for

some reason sounds very clear and understandable. Seems my brain is on a three day timer! Better have that seen to aye!

Thanks all

Mario

Hi Mario,

I think the part which could be confusing is that the "effect" of zooming out must be exactly compensated by zooming in or vice versa.

Consider the situation where the parent is zooming in. What the child does is follow the parent's lead as if it were "attached". Think of it as a real child and its parent. The child could be a year old or ten years old so it could be any size. But regardless of how large or small the child, it's attached to the parent by a leash and harness. So if the parent gets in a car and drives north, the child does likewise. If the parent gets on an airplane and goes up or down so does the child. But the leash is very long and the child can also be going down while the parent is going up, etc. The child could turn left while the parent is turning right, etc., so though the child inherits the parent's movement it can also have its own independent movement within the parameters of it's association with the parent.

Because the child inherits the parent's zoom it will necessarily be compelled to do likewise but because it can also have its own zoom properties, you can counteract the attachment by giving the child the "opposite" and equal amount of zoom out. The net effect is zero.

On of the animations I used as an example which I will link to demonstrates this. It is a bunch of "objects" rotating around the screen. But some are rotating on their own axis while also circling the screen. Some stay upright in position, others turn upside down as they reach the bottom of the screen and lie on their left or right sides when they reach the right or left center.

This is all accomplished by the parent/child relationship as well as the off-center rotation capabilities of PTE.

PNG objects all are actually rectangular in nature, but the actual rectangle is transparent so that all you really see are the objects themselves which may be any shape. Even a totally non-symetrical shaped object such as a human is surrounded by transparency which has a rectangular or square shape. The "center" for all objects is by default the center of this rectangle. This is very easy to see when you rotate an image. The image by default rotates on this imaginary center which can be found visually by drawing lines from each corner to the opposite corner and crossing the center of the image. Where the lines intersect becomes the defacto default "center". With most presentation software, the center is then fixed, but with PTE you can place the center for rotation anywhere you wish by simply left clicking on the little green circle, holding down the left mouse button and "dragging" this center visually anywhere on or off the visable area of the screen. Wherever you leave this center becomes the new center of rotation for that object at that keypoint.

Bear with me for a few minutes and it will be clear where this is going. So if you place a PNG object at the top, bottom or right or left extreme of the screen then move the center to correspond with the physical center of the screen itself then place another keypoint further along the timeline and change the rotation from zero to 360 at that point, the object will rotate on that center axis and follow a circular path on the screen. Of course the object will turn upside down by the time it reaches the bottom of the screen (assuming you started it on the top) then when it reaches the full 360 degrees it will once again be upright.

Let's say you wanted this object to follow this circular path around the screen but instead of turning as it describes the circular path, you wanted it to stay upright. How could you accomplish this?

Well you can't do it with a single object, but this is where the PTE capabilities of unlilmited opacity, parent/child and off-center rotation allow this animation to be easily done. What you do is simply duplicate the object and make it a child of itself. Next move the child into exact alignment (let's say at the top of the screen) and exact zoom (size) of the parent so that the child directly hides the parent.

Next set the opacity of the parent to zero thus making it invisible. Make it invisible at the start as well as at the keypoint where the 360 degree rotation ends. So now all we see is the "child" and the child looks precisely like the parent. So if we were to run the animation just like it is now set up, since the child has inherited the parent's rotation it would look "exactly" like it did without the child.

But - let's now set the child's own rotation with a kepoint at precisely the same location as where the parent completes its rotation to negative 360 degrees. In other words we have made the child rotate on its own center mass axis (original center) in the opposite direction at the same speed as the parent is moving it in a circular direction. The "net" effect is that the child stays perfectly upright as it circles the screen. It's being pulled in the 360 degree circle around the screen by its inheritance from the parent which is invisible but turning upside down at the bottom of the screen. But since we have set the child to rotate in the opposite direction it's own opposite rotation on center mass axis is causing it to stay upright. For every degree the parent rotates the child clockwise, the child is rotating one degree counterclockwise so that the net effect is it follows the circular path of the parent but stays upright at all times.

Now think of your original question. You make the parent zoom in but you set the child to zoom out at the same rate. Net effect? The child stays the same size.

Here's a link to the sample. Pay attention to the different motions on the different objects. If you wanted the child to get smaller, you would set it's own zoom out to a greater degree than the parent is zooming in over the same period of time. If you wanted the child to rotate you would give it its own keypoint and degree of rotation, etc.

Once you break through the block and think like the child you will see many ways to use these significant capabilities to achieve a number of stunning effects. It's possible to create eliptical paths, bezier curves, just about any type of motion you can imagine with a little thought and experimentation.

Here's the link:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6817

The above will link you to the tutorials section to both the demo and an AVI showing how to accomplish these movements.

Lin

Hi Lin,

I read your reply on the 25th I don't know how many times, but didn't make sense to me, all this zoom in zoom out stuff.

Read it again on the 26th still seemed confusing. It was the child zooming in to compensate for the parents zooming out that got me wich

still left me non the wiser.

Read it again this morning 27th and it finally dawned on me what you were trying to say, although I haven't tried it yet it somehow for

some reason sounds very clear and understandable. Seems my brain is on a three day timer! Better have that seen to aye!

Thanks all

Mario

Hi Mario,

I think the part which could be confusing is that the "effect" of zooming out must be exactly compensated by zooming in or vice versa.

Consider the situation where the parent is zooming in. What the child does is follow the parent's lead as if it were "attached". Think of it as a real child and its parent. The child could be a year old or ten years old so it could be any size. But regardless of how large or small the child, it's attached to the parent by a leash and harness. So if the parent gets in a car and drives north, the child does likewise. If the parent gets on an airplane and goes up or down so does the child. But the leash is very long and the child can also be going down while the parent is going up, etc. The child could turn left while the parent is turning right, etc., so though the child inherits the parent's movement it can also have its own independent movement within the parameters of it's association with the parent.

Because the child inherits the parent's zoom it will necessarily be compelled to do likewise but because it can also have its own zoom properties, you can counteract the attachment by giving the child the "opposite" and equal amount of zoom out. The net effect is zero.

On of the animations I used as an example which I will link to demonstrates this. It is a bunch of "objects" rotating around the screen. But some are rotating on their own axis while also circling the screen. Some stay upright in position, others turn upside down as they reach the bottom of the screen and lie on their left or right sides when they reach the right or left center.

This is all accomplished by the parent/child relationship as well as the off-center rotation capabilities of PTE.

PNG objects all are actually rectangular in nature, but the actual rectangle is transparent so that all you really see are the objects themselves which may be any shape. Even a totally non-symetrical shaped object such as a human is surrounded by transparency which has a rectangular or square shape. The "center" for all objects is by default the center of this rectangle. This is very easy to see when you rotate an image. The image by default rotates on this imaginary center which can be found visually by drawing lines from each corner to the opposite corner and crossing the center of the image. Where the lines intersect becomes the defacto default "center". With most presentation software, the center is then fixed, but with PTE you can place the center for rotation anywhere you wish by simply left clicking on the little green circle, holding down the left mouse button and "dragging" this center visually anywhere on or off the visable area of the screen. Wherever you leave this center becomes the new center of rotation for that object at that keypoint.

Bear with me for a few minutes and it will be clear where this is going. So if you place a PNG object at the top, bottom or right or left extreme of the screen then move the center to correspond with the physical center of the screen itself then place another keypoint further along the timeline and change the rotation from zero to 360 at that point, the object will rotate on that center axis and follow a circular path on the screen. Of course the object will turn upside down by the time it reaches the bottom of the screen (assuming you started it on the top) then when it reaches the full 360 degrees it will once again be upright.

Let's say you wanted this object to follow this circular path around the screen but instead of turning as it describes the circular path, you wanted it to stay upright. How could you accomplish this?

Well you can't do it with a single object, but this is where the PTE capabilities of unlilmited opacity, parent/child and off-center rotation allow this animation to be easily done. What you do is simply duplicate the object and make it a child of itself. Next move the child into exact alignment (let's say at the top of the screen) and exact zoom (size) of the parent so that the child directly hides the parent.

Next set the opacity of the parent to zero thus making it invisible. Make it invisible at the start as well as at the keypoint where the 360 degree rotation ends. So now all we see is the "child" and the child looks precisely like the parent. So if we were to run the animation just like it is now set up, since the child has inherited the parent's rotation it would look "exactly" like it did without the child.

But - let's now set the child's own rotation with a kepoint at precisely the same location as where the parent completes its rotation to negative 360 degrees. In other words we have made the child rotate on its own center mass axis (original center) in the opposite direction at the same speed as the parent is moving it in a circular direction. The "net" effect is that the child stays perfectly upright as it circles the screen. It's being pulled in the 360 degree circle around the screen by its inheritance from the parent which is invisible but turning upside down at the bottom of the screen. But since we have set the child to rotate in the opposite direction it's own opposite rotation on center mass axis is causing it to stay upright. For every degree the parent rotates the child clockwise, the child is rotating one degree counterclockwise so that the net effect is it follows the circular path of the parent but stays upright at all times.

Now think of your original question. You make the parent zoom in but you set the child to zoom out at the same rate. Net effect? The child stays the same size.

Here's a link to the sample. Pay attention to the different motions on the different objects. If you wanted the child to get smaller, you would set it's own zoom out to a greater degree than the parent is zooming in over the same period of time. If you wanted the child to rotate you would give it its own keypoint and degree of rotation, etc.

Once you break through the block and think like the child you will see many ways to use these significant capabilities to achieve a number of stunning effects. It's possible to create eliptical paths, bezier curves, just about any type of motion you can imagine with a little thought and experimentation.

Here's the link:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6817

The above will link you to the tutorials section to both the demo and an AVI showing how to accomplish these movements.

Lin

Thanks LIn

With what you've written above, together with and after viewing the 'dothis.exe' and rotational 'tutorial' I can actually now say I understand.

Thanks so much to you and the others that replied.

Mario

WAP!